Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10,000 Mile Flights a Thing of the Past?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

10,000 Mile Flights a Thing of the Past?

I was perusing some flights to buy with my miles now that my Frontier Mastercard bonus miles have come through. When I applied for the card there were lots of one way flights for 10K miles available. This seemed like a phenomenal deal because the 40K bonus miles with the card meant a round trip flight for myself and my wife.

Now that the miles have come through, I'm only seeing 20K miles for all flights all the way through February 2018.

Has Frontier done away with the 10K reward flight? Are they now 20K only?

Has anyone seen or booked a 10K reward flight lately?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
what route are you looking for?

I routinely fly CLE-LAS and I see 10K availability on more than half the dates.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: United,Marriott,National
10000 unicorn

I agree in that Frontier is very misleading in its promotion on 10000 mile flights. PDX to DEN, my normal route, not one 10000 flight through the end of the year. They should have a disclaimer that 10000 mile flights are available on select routes only. Another mark against them. I can book on United for 12500 miles one way over 50% of the dates.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

I'm looking for anything out of SNA or LAX.

LAX to DEN only 20K available through February.

LAX to MCO, same. Only 20K through February.

Last month I would say about 25% of the dates on both of these routes were available for 10K points.

I can understand MCO as that is a cross-country flight, but LAX to DEN is a short 2 hour flight.

Very frustrating. I thought my credit card would get me two round trip flights, now I see it is only going to get me one no matter where I book, unless I'm flying from Cleveland, Apparently.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by wallyboag
LAX to DEN only 20K available through February.

LAX to MCO, same. Only 20K through February.
Looks like only President's Day Weekend is at the 20k level.
Attached Images   
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Interesting. I wonder if a bunch of inventory was released today. This was definitely not the case a couple of weeks ago.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:43 am

I have noticed that they manipulate their award availability quite a bit. When we were trying to redeem our miles I noticed that availability was scarce when the schedule first opened, but when we got closer (3-4 months out), availability improved. I can't speak for all routes though, this was from SFO-MCO and SFO-DCA.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Turns out they added a flight from MCO to LAX with a stop in COS, this added lots of inventory for awards flights and now we are flying to MCO! This worked out great for us.

I know the LCCs get a lot of flack, but they really do have a niche. Works great for families traveling. We used the credit card miles to book this R/T flight. Paying just for one bag to share between the three of us, then $24 each way to sit together. Really great deal!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
I booked 2 seats out of Orlando early this morning (9-9-17) for same-day travel, at 10K miles each... they were the last 2 seats available on the flight.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:32 pm

Hi -

Like ALL FFPs, you have to look at the terms, the value proposition, your flying patterns vis-a-vis the various route networks and then make the best decision for you.

All programs, even the so called "crappy" ones all have certain sweet spots in terms of accrual/redemption/upgrades/fees/locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.