Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Frontier cancels flights due to weather - passengers unhappy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Turns out Frontier's passengers aren't happy when flights get canceled and the next flight isn't for a few days or a whole week.

http://6abc.com/weather/local-travel...ther-/1662476/
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
I understand, yet when booking one has to know the frequency of flights between the destinations... it is a chance we all take.

Travel insurance can be your friend in these situations...
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by bo1953
I understand, yet when booking one has to know the frequency of flights between the destinations... it is a chance we all take.

Travel insurance can be your friend in these situations...
Does travel insurance let you re-book on another airline at the same cheap price?

Frontier is on the Denver newscasts with wretched stories about, for example, people whose luggage wasn't unloaded and who were told to come back tomorrow.

Why people would book with an airline with limited flights like this is beyond me. Maybe they saved $10 or $20.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:20 pm

Yet next time a flight on Frontier is less expensive than United, they will return. I've had great luck traveling on Frontier and saving money but I'm prepared to make my own alternative travel arrangements if necessary. Spending your last dollar to travel on Frontier during the winter might not be a good bet if you need to travel on schedule.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:45 am

[QUOTE=Mountain Trader;27637134]Does travel insurance let you re-book on another airline at the same cheap price?

Frontier is on the Denver newscasts with wretched stories about, for example, people whose luggage wasn't unloaded and who were told to come back tomorrow.
Some people in Denver are still mad that a beloved money losing hometown airline does live up to their rosy memories.

Why people would book with an airline with limited flights like this is beyond me. Maybe they saved $10 or $20.
I've flown Frontier numerous times and never had a problem. I've saved several thousand dollars and am perfectly willing take the risk that I may have to buy a walk up ticket on another airline once in a while to enjoy the savings I've accrued.

Last time I checked Frontiers cancellation w\rate was in line with other carriers, but the impact of a cancellation is often greater because they have fewer flights. However the legacy carriers if caught in a major weather system can take days to recover.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Does travel insurance let you re-book on another airline at the same cheap price?

Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:18 pm

Crossing my fingers I don't have any issues. Flying SLC to DEN and back this weekend.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
When one of my family or employees travel on F9 I have a backup plan that usually involves an anytime AA award or perhaps an airport hotel. Wouldn't do it any other way.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:20 am

I got caught in the fiasco this past weekend. We walked out of the airport after 11 hours and went home. They said our flight was a 'maybe' and nothing more. 2 hours later and only 1 crew member secured for the flight the writing was on the wall, and at some point after going to bed they cancelled it. We got a refund in 2 days and each of us got a $200 voucher. MCO-STL r/t for 4 was $271, that was hard to beat when the next cheapest fare was $1200ish on WN.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Least expensive does not mean cheapest. Some people have evaluated the risk and understand what may happen. Either they have a backup plan or they figure that they will just bag the trip if need be.

The problem with F9 is that not only does it not interline (WN does not either), but it has a small route network with infrequent service (as opposed to WN).

If you fly regularly, things may balance out. But, if you fly once a year and hit it wrong, this can be an expensive lesson.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Least expensive does not mean cheapest. Some people have evaluated the risk and understand what may happen. Either they have a backup plan or they figure that they will just bag the trip if need be.

The problem with F9 is that not only does it not interline (WN does not either), but it has a small route network with infrequent service (as opposed to WN).

If you fly regularly, things may balance out. But, if you fly once a year and hit it wrong, this can be an expensive lesson.
Which is exactly why the "once a year" folks should consider taking out travel insurance, especially when their trip involves non-refundable reservations for something such as a cruise, hotel, or show tickets. The extra $49 or so is worth it when flying the ULCCs. Or better yet, use a premium credit card where items such as trip delay are covered.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Which is exactly why the "once a year" folks should consider taking out travel insurance, especially when their trip involves non-refundable reservations for something such as a cruise, hotel, or show tickets. The extra $49 or so is worth it when flying the ULCCs. Or better yet, use a premium credit card where items such as trip delay are covered.
Where bo you buy travel insurance and how much does it cost?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
People that fly once a year rarely have premium credit cards with travel benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.