Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier "personal item".

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Frontier "personal item".

I'm flying a lot more these days and I've been out of the flying loop for years. A lot has changed these days. Most of which isn't all that great.

But to the point. I'm just learning how to play the "airline game", specifically with baggage and carry-on luggage. I know Frontier will let you bring a "personal item" that supposedly is no bigger than 8" x 14" x 18.

My trips are generally 2-3 day short mini vacation trips, so a small bag this size is certainly doable.

So, I bought this from Wal Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Protege-18-Pilot-Case-Blue-with-Green/44782635

Isn't it...uhh, cute?
Although it seems to meet the size measurements, I'm still concerned I'll get to the counter and the agent will end up charging me for a carry on.

I mean, it's not the end of the world if that happens or anything, but who wants to pay $60 for luggage when you don't have to?

Can any Frontier vets spout off?

Thank you! Glad to be aboard the flyer talk forums!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Timsierramist.

As noted, this is a topic for F9. We're moving this animal over there

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Okay. Apologies. I was trying to search on my phone and didn't see it. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:23 pm

Your link isn't working so I can't see the bag. But, on my recent flights I have carried on a bag that pushes the limit on a "personal item" without any problems. They don't seem to be making people use the sizer on my recent flights.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myleguy
Your link isn't working so I can't see the bag. But, on my recent flights I have carried on a bag that pushes the limit on a "personal item" without any problems. They don't seem to be making people use the sizer on my recent flights.
Here is the same bag, but different color.

http://sylsdeals.com/protege-18-pilot-upright-case-grey-for-12/

I'm thinking it will be okay. You can't bring a 3 piece suit or a skiing jacket in this little guy, but who needs that in Orlando?

I did have the unfortune of watching another customer with a smaller sized duffel in MCO being asked to pay for the carry on fee. He was flat out refusing and demanding a manager, etc the whole 9 yards.

I'm even thinking of just dropping by LAX, walking in to test my bag and walking out, haha. I'm all about being fiscal and spending my hard earned dough on the actual vacation itself.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:53 pm

My experiance is that Frontier isn't that strict. I've seen very few passengers challenged over carry on bags. If you are uncomfortable check the bag sizer and pay at the counter, it's cheaper.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Here is the bag in question I bought. Couldn't upload before because I was using mobile at the time.

Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by myleguy

anyone confirm this in SFO?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:42 pm
formerly chrisbarnett01

If you go to the landside check in counter for any reason, you will pay for anything that is not a backpack or purse. Period.

At the gate, they will only care if it has wheels or looks like a carry on.

This looks like a carry on. You may or may not have issues. It has to go under the seat in front of you, No overhead bin access without paying.

Personally, I would just get a backpack. Even a huge one is better than anything that resembles luggage
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by chrisbarnett01
If you go to the landside check in counter for any reason, you will pay for anything that is not a backpack or purse. Period.

This looks like a carry on. You may or may not have issues. It has to go under the seat in front of you, No overhead bin access without paying.

Personally, I would just get a backpack. Even a huge one is better than anything that resembles luggage
so do they check for payment on board for a huge back pack, for bin access? (I'm in 1D no under seat access)
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:46 am
formerly chrisbarnett01

Row 1 is an exception.

The boarding pass will say carry on or checked bag if you paid for either one.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:08 pm

This does not match my experience (26 flights last year).

They may question you about a wheeled bag, but it it fits the sizer (with nothing sticking out at all including straps, wheels and handles) you should be good to go.

I haven't seen gate agents checking very much and once on the plane the FAs don't seem to care where you put your stuff. The overhead bins are almost always nearly empty.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:07 pm
formerly chrisbarnett01

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
This does not match my experience (26 flights last year).

They may question you about a wheeled bag, but it it fits the sizer (with nothing sticking out at all including straps, wheels and handles) you should be good to go.

I haven't seen gate agents checking very much and once on the plane the FAs don't seem to care where you put your stuff. The overhead bins are almost always nearly empty.

I was referring to bags that are OVER the size limit. Obviously, anything within the personal item size constraints will be allowed.

I only flew 17 or 19 segments on frontier last year. But I carried the same incredibly large bag for free on every segment without issue.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:18 am

I was referring to bags that are OVER the size limit. Obviously, anything within the personal item size constraints will be allowed.

I only flew 17 or 19 segments on frontier last year. But I carried the same incredibly large bag for free on every segment without issue.
I haven't seen the gate agents checking very closely, I can't imagine everyone flying Frontier actually knew to pay for their carry on. I've even seen people get on with too many bags. I saw one lady get on with a wheeled carry on, a purse and two large shoulder bags.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
A single data point:

I flew Frontier recently to Orlando MCO and successfully brought a carryon (in addition to my personal item) on board without being charged. This was a last-minute trip but a great fare, $40 one way. I decided to chance it. This was a soft-sided canvas shoulder bag - not a roller, but definitely too big to be construed as a personal item. Neither the GA scanning my BP or the other GA standing by the door questioned me. I was able to put the bag in an overhead bin without any trouble. I didn't pop the bubbly until we pushed back.

Like many things, YMMV.
jjmiller69 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.