Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

First time flying Frontier...some general questions...

Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Will be flying F9 for the first time on a connecting flight to LAS.

Since F9 doesn't participate in TSA pre-check, generally how long are the lines to pass through security at MIA's G gates at or around 8 am? I'll be heading there from the Concourse D, and assume I'll have to pass security again.

Some general questions:

1. Will only have a laptop bag with me and assume it's free so long as it is within there 18 x 14 x 8 requirements?

2. Downloaded their app. I assume there's an option to show it on email or add it to Apple Pay to use for scanning on entering security and the aircraft?

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yep your laptop bag will be just fine. I usually carry a backpack when I fly F9 and it's never been an issue with them. Hope your first flight goes well ^
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:34 pm

Dumb question, Whats F9?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nydisneykid
Dumb question, Whats F9?
The two digit airline code for Frontier Airlines. No idea how they came up with F9 though.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
The two digit airline code for Frontier Airlines. No idea how they came up with F9 though.
Yeah, doesn't seem very to have any correlation with "Frontier," at least not on the surface.

By the way, smooth and excellent first time experience on Frontier. I opted not to pay for the seat assignment and was assigned a window seat based on my profile preference.

For the value, Frontier can't be beat, in my view.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Yeah, doesn't seem very to have any correlation with "Frontier," at least not on the surface.
Many airline codes don't seem to relate with the name although many older airlines do. I'm not sure what code Frontier might have preferred but a lot of the F codes had already been taken. The obvious FR code was already assigned to Ryan Air, no obvious corelation there. FT should have been avaliable. The only way to be sure would be to find someone who was there when it was founded and ask them.

There is a story that when Southwest was founded the person who went to make the application discovered SW was not available. Air Namibia already had it, again no obvious connection except Air Namibia was started as South West Air Transport. Herb told them to just take the next code which was WN. I've never been sure if that story is true or part of legand, there are afew variations.

There had been a previous Frontier Airlines which was founded in 1950 and ceased operations in 1988. It's code was FL which was later used by Airtran after Valujet bought Airtran and changed its name. ValuJet used the code V7.

The point of all this is that there is no particular corelation between the code and the name of the airline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.