Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier pricing is becoming quite strange

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
On my last AA flight I was unable to reserve a seat next to my wife. Eventually after much effort we were able to sit together. On Southwest if you have a low boarding number you may not be able to sit with your family.
But your AA example is an exception. And I always manage to get a high B checking in 24 hours ahead. The F9 fee is each and every flight.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
You have to look at the total cost of the ticket, not blindly object to how the price is presented.
^
Originally Posted by winstoda
But your AA example is an exception. And I always manage to get a high B checking in 24 hours ahead. The F9 fee is each and every flight.
If it's important to you, count that cost in when comparing prices. There are plenty of things that I don't like about Frontier. Requiring me to use basic math skills to figure out the total cost of what I need isn't one of them.

I hope their pricing is sustainable. There have been some incredible deals lately, and I'd like that to continue.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by winstoda
I always pay the fee, because I always want an aisle seat. Of course if you're Elite I think Frontier waives the fee for all passengers on you reservation. I recall reading that but couldn't find it just now. I figure it in in the various price comparisons I post on FT.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
I don't think this pricing is going to lead to the bankruptcy of Frontier. Frontier is constantly getting closer to the business model of European ultra low cost airlines (like 10 Euros to fly across Europe), and this is what we used to be missing here in the USA. The pricing model when the flight itself costs just like nothing, but everything else (seat allocation, luggage, food, beverages) is paid additionally and is not cheap. Anyway, this makes the flight prices perfect for people traveling with the single back pack and no other kind of luggage.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:35 pm

If anything, Frontier is copying Spirit, which is very successful.

However, there are a few variations:
-Spirit has less legroom, but maybe better padded seats, while Frontier has more legroom but thinner padded seats.
-Frontier offers a refundable fare as a fee. Spirit offers a Flight Flex as fee, permitting a one-time change.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: DL
I've been watching the flash sales since Frontier entered the ATL market with more flights but really have no interest in visiting most of the cheap routes (IND, CLE, MCO, MIA, MSY), however I was able to take advantage of the $15 fare sale today that included Denver. Going out on a Tuesday morning to see a band that isn't coming east this year play at Red Rocks, and returning Wednesday morning to Atlanta. $29.10 all in. As someone who typically travels light, I'll carry a small backpack for the overnight and try it out.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I, too, grabbed the ATL-DEN-ATL for 9/15-16 at $30, giving some 31 hours or so in DEN. Ironically, was in LAS at the time on a $46 RT Spirit trip that afforded 24 hours on the ground (really 22 thanks to late flights). Also had to go thru Orblitz because F9's site was giving overload messages.

Pretty crazy. Being able to "bend" my work around these Tuesday-Wednesday deals is a great benefit of being self-employed and otherwise having NO benefits that are paid for by anyone else.

As has been mentioned, though, if NK or F9 have only one flight a day a destination might not even be playable on a Tuesday-Wednesday basis. Better to have more than 1 flight a day so that you can get close to a solid 2 days at the destination.

As for pricing, I think they've hit an exceptionally low period and are dumping seats at fire-sale prices with hopes for some fee revenue rather than flying them empty. For ATL, AA seems to be most fiercely protecting ORD, then MIA, then DFW to a lesser extent (NK flying the route and having cut it back, F9 going to AUS instead). Also occasionally LAX.

Seat availability on these F9 sales can also be very tough outside Tue., Wed. and maybe Sat. Just because they post one with no day restrictions doesn't mean the seats are there. There's also the half-and-half bit, as mentioned (combining a fire sale leg with a normally priced one).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:09 pm

I always pay the fee, because I always want an aisle seat. Of course if you're Elite I think Frontier waives the fee for all passengers on you reservation. I recall reading that but couldn't find it just now. I figure it in in the various price comparisons I post on FT.
I am a Frontier Elite but Frontier only provides free seat selection for me, not for others on the reservation unfortunately. I still have to pay to sit next to my 3 year old. If you know of some way around this, let me know.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by RustyC
I, too, grabbed the ATL-DEN-ATL for 9/15-16 at $30, giving some 31 hours or so in DEN. Ironically, was in LAS at the time on a $46 RT Spirit trip that afforded 24 hours on the ground (really 22 thanks to late flights). Also had to go thru Orblitz because F9's site was giving overload messages.

Pretty crazy. Being able to "bend" my work around these Tuesday-Wednesday deals is a great benefit of being self-employed and otherwise having NO benefits that are paid for by anyone else.

As has been mentioned, though, if NK or F9 have only one flight a day a destination might not even be playable on a Tuesday-Wednesday basis. Better to have more than 1 flight a day so that you can get close to a solid 2 days at the destination.

As for pricing, I think they've hit an exceptionally low period and are dumping seats at fire-sale prices with hopes for some fee revenue rather than flying them empty. For ATL, AA seems to be most fiercely protecting ORD, then MIA, then DFW to a lesser extent (NK flying the route and having cut it back, F9 going to AUS instead). Also occasionally LAX.

Seat availability on these F9 sales can also be very tough outside Tue., Wed. and maybe Sat. Just because they post one with no day restrictions doesn't mean the seats are there. There's also the half-and-half bit, as mentioned (combining a fire sale leg with a normally priced one).
Agreed, being self-employed over the last 5 years, I've been able to take advantage of plenty of Tue/Wed/Sat sales to get away for a couple of days and do a baseball game in a different city or something like that. I agree with what you're saying though about the 1x daily flights
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:46 pm

I've noticed the $15-$29 fares present this month that don't need a Den Deal membership.

From PHL, it's also possible to reach some markets that one might not think possible like PHX very cheaply through Frontier, with a PHL-IAH (seasonally offered) and an IAH-PHX, although it requires separate tickets and an overnight in IAH. Through Spirit, I did some checks and the same approach can be done via DFW. This might be more suitable on the return trip back, if preference to go nonstop or through a network carrier for one-way.

I suppose a stayover can work in markets where hotel rooms are cheap, or for customers that might have a hotel points and might be willing to explore a city for a day anyways.

Last edited by rtalk25; Sep 9, 2015 at 10:56 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by rtalk25
From PHL, it's also possible to reach some markets that one might not think possible like PHX very cheaply through Frontier, with a PHL-IAH (seasonally offered) and an IAH-PHX, although it requires separate tickets and an overnight in IAH.
Its probably best not to do this on two tickets on this one, with Frontier I fear their IRROPS situation and ultimately getting you to PHX. I think I'd pay the $10 phone reservation fee as insurance to get all of the segments on one ticket or atleast the outbound segments on one and the return segments on the other.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:16 am

I have mitigated my ULCC IRROPs risk by flying one-way on a major carrier to the destination and then ULCC flying back, usually where the return is much cheaper. It's great that domestic one-ways aren't needed to bundled in a roundtrip to get the low fares, by either the LCCs and ULCCs.

From another experience of flying back one way on a ULCC, I also once avoided Spirit's carry-on and/or checked bag, by mailing my items from a Staples. Shipping was cost $20 with medium box, where small gym bag was inside the box, vs. Spirit's $35-40 to take it aboard.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:19 pm

$15 tickets

I got 2 $15 tickets from FLL to TTN (Trenton-Mercer) last week for Saturday, September 26th. We're driving a car down from NJ for my daughter and needed a flight home. Total cost after adding our seats and one checked bag -- $77.

I flew her home for Christmas last year for about $125 r/t with seat and bags, which I thought was excellent!

We're heading to Orlando in October - got our flight down for I thing $69 each and am waiting for the price to go down for the flight home before I pull the trigger. Since today is the last day for the 10 Buck Fares promo, I'm anticipating a promo code or lower prices for that day coming soon.

I hope...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.