Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeye on a Slimline A-320 = Awful Experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Redeye on a Slimline A-320 = Awful Experience

Last night I flew on F9 566, the new DEN-RDU redeye flown with an A-320. It leaves DEN at 11:55 PM and arrives RDU at 5:10 AM. I knew I'd want some sleep so I paid $39 extra at booking for a seat in 13A the "reclining" exit row.

Unfortunately, the plane has these newer slimline seats that are unlike anything I've ever sat in. Even in the exit row there isn't much pitch and none of the seats recline. I'm not even sure there's much, if any, pitch in the Stretch section. This was a horrible, horrible plane to fly on especially when trying to get some sleep. I usually fly a couple of F9 flights a year but this makes me very hesitant to book them again, especially on a longer flight.

Here's a picture which doesn't really capture the lack of comfort on this plane. I can say this, it makes UA's slimline look like an overstuffed armchair:

Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I flew the Polar Bear from RDU to CLE last week with black slim line seats, didn't look like those pictured. The seats didn't recline even in stretch. I found the seats on the flight I took better than the UA SLS. I feel like I am falling forward on the UA seats whereas the black F9 seat is more comfortable to me than the UA seat.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Quick tip: STRETCH seats do recline, but there's no button on the arm rest. Reach down and to the left to find the tab to push to recline. Someone else showed me that on my last F9 flight. I didn't use the feature all that much...was busy making use of the tray table to get some work done on my laptop...but it was nice to know about, and I may use that later.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iansltx
Quick tip: STRETCH seats do recline, but there's no button on the arm rest. Reach down and to the left to find the tab to push to recline. Someone else showed me that on my last F9 flight. I didn't use the feature all that much...was busy making use of the tray table to get some work done on my laptop...but it was nice to know about, and I may use that later.
That's good to know, I wonder if it's applicable to the seats in the exit row too.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:08 am

I'm pretty nervous about our flight next month SFO-DEN-DCA. Our outbound SFO-DEN flight is on the A319 so hopefully won't be slimlined yet, but all the rest look like they'll be on A320.

Based on your slimline flight, do you think it would be worth it paying the extra $50 for a stretch seat? How was the seat pitch in the regular seats? I'm not a tall guy so as long as its better than Spirit I should be fine. Was the lack of padding noticeable?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:18 am

I just flew on a319 with slimline seats and they are stiff but legroom was fine for me and I'm over 6 foot. It was a short flight so I didn't bother with the stretch seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.