Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

what happens if I don't buy a seat assignment at time of ticket purchase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what happens if I don't buy a seat assignment at time of ticket purchase?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:55 pm

Frontier LAS - CLE

I am from Ohio and recently booked 5 seats on Frontier for $79 each way each person. After seats assigned on the way and stretch for the return flight, plus luggage for all 5 the total was $1260.00

That's cheap! I fly a ton and am a list elite with southwest and they were about 1700 for the same flight. Yes bags are free but still more. I'll admit I'm disappointed about losing DTV. I used to fly frontier out of CAK back in the day and loved them.

I'll take the cheap seats over amenities any day.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you don't buy the seat assignment at the time of booking the flight, you can always go back and buy the seat later (e.g., the next day or the next week) but before checkin.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
If you don't buy the seat assignment at the time of booking the flight, you can always go back and buy the seat later (e.g., the next day or the next week) but before checkin.
I saw a ridiculously low fare the other day. Under $60 for a roundtrip to FL.
Almost booked it, but the seat assignment map was full and no seat to buy.
How was that even possible? I call them up and was told that there were no
seats to select.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AppleApe
seats to select.
Airlines overbook all the time. They'll routinely sell 175 tickets on a plane with 160 seats if their models predict 15 no-shows.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by AppleApe
seats to select.
I'm going to assume that you are witihin 2 to 2 1/2 hours by air from FL because I don't think they would have $29 fares from a greater distance. What's the worst than can happen, you get stuck in a middle seat for 2 hours. I was on a flight from PHL to LAS and sat in a middle for 5 hours, I knew someone in the seat next to me but still it wasn't horrible.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:14 pm

Any updates on how this works at F9? I am flying tomorrow. I haven't check in yet even though I'm below T-24 based on what I saw in the thread above. I was expecting to see the back rows of the plane get filled, but that hasn't happened.

I wanted to see if there's anything new on this. There are lots of seats in rows 5-9 that are going for 2x the price of the seats in the back.

I did search "Frontier Seating Algorithm," but all that came up was this thread.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:41 am

After studying this, I believe that the current algorithm is that they fill the seats from the front of the plane to the back, excluding the more expensive seating that is forward of the exit row. My family of four got an aisle and three seats right across from that seat.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:23 am

I flew them DEN-MKE-DEN a week or so back...

I checked in at T-22 on the way out and got row 25....checked in at T-19 on the way back and got row 24. Both times, however, there were lots of empty seats around me

A month back I checked in at DCA with only 50 minutes until departure and got row 5.....

So at first I thought they filled it back to front but after having lots of empty seats around me, I still am puzzled every time I fly them. My EarlyReturns preference is set to 1. Window 2. Front, and the window always seems to happen but I'm never at the front if I check in earlier.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by jk88usa

So at first I thought they filled it back to front but after having lots of empty seats around me, I still am puzzled every time I fly them. My EarlyReturns preference is set to 1. Window 2. Front, and the window always seems to happen but I'm never at the front if I check in earlier.
The charge more for the seats in front of the exit row so the fill in the cheap seats first.

What you can get obviously depends on how how many people pay for seat assignments (I always did untill I got Elite) and how full the flight is.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:01 am

I watched the seat map fill. On my flight, it was assigning seats from front to back in the lowest priced rows from A to F. It seemed methodical and I received 24C, D, E, and F.

Overall, my experience was OK. I would fly F9 again if the price was right. The biggest downside of F9 for me is the lack of Pre-Check. The regular security line was terrible. I recognize that this is TSA's fault, not F9's, but it's only because the airline isn't in pre-check that it's something that I have to worry about.

Still, I got a family of 4 from RSW to STL for less than $150, including all fees. Unbelievable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.