FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program-668/)
-   -   Frontier Announces Miles to expire after 6m inactivity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program/1652254-frontier-announces-miles-expire-after-6m-inactivity.html)

travel light Feb 4, 2015 3:35 pm

Frontier Announces Miles to expire after 6m inactivity

This just in: Changes to EarlyReturns® Mileage Expiration
Beginning March 7, 2015, you'll need to earn miles using your EarlyReturns account every six months in order to keep the miles that are currently in your account.

Jerseyguy Feb 4, 2015 4:23 pm

Let me give everybody a preview of the replies to this thread
"Frontier doesn't appreciate business travelers"
"Another step in the race to the bottom"
"I wish this company would go bankrupt and fail"
"I wish we could outsource the CEO"

My argument is if you don't travel 2 times a year are you really a frequent flyer? I'm sure though that this will lead to bad reviews with people not knowing of the new rule and wondering why the miles are gone and then vowing never to fly Frontier again.

lowfareair Feb 4, 2015 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by travel light (Post 24292450)
This just in: Changes to EarlyReturns® Mileage Expiration
Beginning March 7, 2015, you'll need to earn miles using your EarlyReturns account every six months in order to keep the miles that are currently in your account.

For those with orphaned points, here are some of the points swapping options through points.com, per 1000 F9 points transferred*:

297 IHG
276 HA
233 Amtrak
198 AC
184 US
153 AA**
138 B6
138 DL
125 VX

I know the ratio is crap, but it is better than losing all of your miles. Other decent options include midsize car rentals except NY (7,500 for a day with Avis, 12,000 miles for a 2 day with National, 18,000 for 3 weekend days with Hertz) or "participating" (god only knows what that means) Radisson Hotels for 25,000/night in NA or 40,000/night Internationally. The Radisson could be decent if you are staying in some more expensive cities with decent Radissons (Austin, SF, Philly, Chicago, etc) but I have no idea what 'participating' means.

*You can transfer any number of points, minimum 1,001 F9 points per transfer, at a similar ratio, using 10000 as an example
**assuming you don't need the points right away, transfer points to US instead of AA, as the ratio is better and they will be the same number of points once the programs merge this spring

Jaimito Cartero Feb 4, 2015 4:31 pm

Ouch, 6 months!

lowfareair Feb 4, 2015 4:42 pm

If someone is unable to do a transfer because they have less than 1,000 miles, I recommend ordering Franke and/or Siegel a subscription to Sunset magazine through F9's Mags For Miles:

"Sunset celebrates the promise of the West. We expose you to the experiences and advantages only the West can offer, so you'll never forget why you live here."

A genuine steal at only 500 miles for the year, and it might convince them to keep more DEN ops! :D

davywavy Feb 4, 2015 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 24292796)
A genuine steal at only 500 miles for the year, and it might convince them to keep more DEN ops! :D

Oh, I doubt it, or not too much:

http://www.9news.com/story/news/trav...owth/22738969/

"Frontier Airlines looks beyond Denver for growth"

"Old" Frontier's fortunes were always in inverse proportion to its market share at DEN. It made good money when it had 10% market share at DEN but lost a lot of money when it had 20% market share, and that was before Southwest came along.

People now claim they "loved" old Frontier - but that didn't translate into actually flying it, or not in sufficient numbers.

lowfareair Feb 4, 2015 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by davywavy (Post 24292963)
Oh, I doubt it, or not too much:

There was a little bit of sarcasm in my post, it's well known they've been shaving DEN down. ;)

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy (Post 24292698)
My argument is if you don't travel 2 times a year are you really a frequent flyer?

You gotta travel a little more than that with the new Frontier - more like 3 times per year, as I wouldn't want to push it with trips exactly 6 months apart.

Jerseyguy Feb 4, 2015 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 24293012)
You gotta travel a little more than that with the new Frontier - more like 3 times per year, as I wouldn't want to push it with trips exactly 6 months apart.

Ok, point taken. But my point still stands, your hardly a frequent flyer if you can't put some activity together (hotel, flowers, F9 CC) in 6 months.

jiburi Feb 4, 2015 7:52 pm

The good news, your miles don't need to expire! Just keep earning and you can keep them...
Oh, great news! Thanks Frontier! :mad::mad::mad:

Stupid airline who wants to clean their liability and push every customer away.

Jiburi

mandrivnyk Feb 4, 2015 8:18 pm

Where is this announced?

What I'm seeing at http://www.flyfrontier.com/frequent-...guide/accruals, is still

Unredeemed mileage accumulated in a Member's account will expire at the end of the 18 months after the last accrual activity date. For example, the last mileage posting, flight, or partner activity as of October 2014 is valid until April 2016, unless the member has accrual activity in the interim.

JDiver Feb 4, 2015 8:37 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, mandrivnyk.

I'm seeing what you're seeing.

OP, what's your source? Can you give us a link or white the e-mail?

mandrivnyk Feb 4, 2015 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24293957)
Welcome to FlyerTalk, mandrivnyk.

I'm seeing what you're seeing.

OP, what's your source? Can you give us a link or white the e-mail?

Thanks! :)

I think if this is true, it might be an email announcement, but I have not received anything like that (yet?). With my last flight with Frontier 3 weeks ago, the miles expiration date in my profile is Sep 30, 2016.

frozenfire Feb 4, 2015 8:59 pm

here is the email sent out today:

We're pleased to announce that the new Frontier Elite will begin March 7. As we announced last September, we are simplifying our tier levels and the Ascent and Summit levels will be retired. The new Frontier Elite will still reward our most frequent fliers with added benefits. Click here to learn more about Frontier Elite.

Changes to EarlyReturns® Mileage Expiration

The good news, your miles don't need to expire! Just keep earning and you can keep them. Any miles you have earned, or continue to earn, will not expire as long as you continue to earn miles every six months. Unredeemed mileage accumulated in your account will expire at the end of the six-month period after your last activity date. For example, if you don't acquire new miles by September 7, 2015, the miles you've accrued through March 6, 2015 will expire on September 7, 2015 and won't be available for use.

It's easy to accrue positive mileage activity:
1. Use your Frontier Airlines MasterCard® to make your next purchase. Don't have the card? Click here and apply today.
2. Get outta town. Every time you fly with us, you'll be adding to your EarlyReturns® mileage account.
3. Earn miles with one of our many partners. Find out more here.

Mandatory Account Housekeeping
We're also launching our new website (which we're really excited about) on March 7, 2015. For your security, every EarlyReturns® member will need to update their account password. All Members must reset their password on or after March 7, 2015 in order to access their account information. You should also take this opportunity to review your account information and make any updates or adjustments.

We're proud to offer great travel values and thank you for your continued loyalty to Frontier Airlines. We look forward to welcoming you onboard a flight soon.

Sincerely,
Your Frontier EarlyReturns® Team

jiburi Feb 4, 2015 9:03 pm

Email message

email was just posted previously by frozenfire so deleted....

Jerseyguy Feb 4, 2015 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 24293700)
Oh, great news! Thanks Frontier! :mad::mad::mad:

Stupid airline who wants to clean their liability and push every customer away.

Jiburi

Since they are going towards the ULCC model ala Spirit and Allegiant this is very much inline with that. Spirit's miles expire after 3 months of inactivity and Allegiant well they don't have a frequent flyer program. Both of these carriers are doing well for themselves. Plus if your not traveling with them every 6 months or even earning any mileage thru their partners, your not much of a frequent flier.