Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self entitled brats on recent F9 flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Originally Posted by vicemagnet
Long flight? Denver-Orlando, that counts as long in my book. Young couple asking to swap seats, but I am next to my family--with children? No, my response is no. If I am by myself and they are asking me to swap a non-middle seat for a middle seat on a long flight (actually ANY flight), the answer is no. If a guy has crutches and a cast, then probably yes even if a long flight, as long as I'm still in priority seating. I would think the pax in question would have asked the GA for assistance before asking me, though.

What I don't get is a couple of any age not being able to live without sitting next to their betrothed for an hour or 90 minutes. IMO grow up. Unless they brought one iPad with a Y-splitter cable because they are sharing a movie, what is really the point? Are they going to make out on the plane? Hold hands while gazing lovingly into each other's eyes? On a long flight like DEN-MCO I can understand wanting to be next to each other, and especially if children are involved. Otherwise, my response is no.
I recently had a run in on a 11 hour train ride from NYP to Montreal, it was a sold out train and a young woman decided, that she needed 2 seats for herself to setup to watch movies ALL DAY LONG... I was travelling solo, also going all the way to Montreal, but had an open seat next to me. Did I claim it like the woman tried to? No. When the conductor came around to reseat any couples that may were split, she tried to reseat me, I stood my ground due to doing the right thing and not taking 2 seats, I directed my attention to the woman across the car, who promptly cleared the other seat and had someone seated next to her.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:55 pm
Suspended

If someone does not accept my "No" as an answer, the next thing and the last thing I am going to say to them starts with an F and ends with an Off.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jsnearline
The discussion lasted a couple minutes. When they showed up, they basically asked what I was doing in "their" seat.
"I'm sitting in it until we arrive. Any more silly questions?"
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
duplicate
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I was traveling in first on AA from Las to Ord, when I heard my name over the PA asking me to report to the gate. The agent said someone wanted to change seats with me. I was furious and told the agent he interrupted my restaurant meal and I said I would absolutely not change seats and he should never do that again.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
In 2004 I was flying from Puerto Vallarta--IAH on CO when a gentleman approached me asking for a switch: He had been upgraded due to his Elite status against his will while his wife & 2 kids remained in Eco! And they had reassigned his original Eco seat to me, so he asked me to please take his F/J seat so he could sit with his family. I was glad to say YES, but I insisted that we tell the FA together so s/he knew I was not poaching an upgrade ! I even gave him my free-drink coupon so he could still enjoy a beer.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Brendan
In 2004 I was flying from Puerto Vallarta--IAH on CO when a gentleman approached me asking for a switch: He had been upgraded due to his Elite status against his will while his wife & 2 kids remained in Eco! And they had reassigned his original Eco seat to me, so he asked me to please take his F/J seat so he could sit with his family. I was glad to say YES, but I insisted that we tell the FA together so s/he knew I was not poaching an upgrade ! I even gave him my free-drink coupon so he could still enjoy a beer.
+1.

An adult way to handle it.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brendan

Nicely done. I will agree to swaps that involve an upgrade for me, be it to another class or to a better seat than what I have..middle to window, window to aisle. But under no circumstances will I switch to something equal or worse. I don't care if they are a couple or have kids in tow. Ask someone else. I booked in advance, and I planned in advance. A failure to plan on their part should not constitute an inconvenience on mine. For that matter, even if it's no fault of their own and is the result of a problem with the airline, it's still not my problem.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
Nicely done. I will agree to swaps that involve an upgrade for me, be it to another class or to a better seat than what I have..middle to window, window to aisle. But under no circumstances will I switch to something equal or worse. I don't care if they are a couple or have kids in tow. Ask someone else. I booked in advance, and I planned in advance. A failure to plan on their part should not constitute an inconvenience on mine. For that matter, even if it's no fault of their own and is the result of a problem with the airline, it's still not my problem.
I'm perfectly willing to switch to equal (e.g. 12 C to 12 D, just the other side of the aisle) or insignificantly better (13 C to 12 C). Slightly worse, maybe, depends on how politely they ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.