How does the random seat assignment algo work?

Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
How does the random seat assignment algo work?

Hi,

I've been on Frontier before, but it was before they turned Ultra-low-fare-carrier.

I'm flying Frontier on Friday (with a companion) on a short flight, and since it was a short flight, we didn't book seat assignments. We really don't care what seats we get (nor do they need to be adjacent), but I am curious if my online checkin time would affect which seat the "random" seat assigning algo would give me.

If I online checkin at T-24h, is it more likely to assign us two middles (since presumably they are empty and the least desired)?
If I wait until like T-12h, would others have been assigned those middles? Then does it like windows, then aisles?
If I wait until T-4h, is the back of the bus more likely to be full, and so it assigns any empty Stretch seats?
-or-
Do the non-seat-payers simply get a Departure Management Card and your seat is assigned right before you board the plane?

The scientist in me wants to know.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Club Awesome
I have just checked in for the second time using Frontier. Both times it was right about 24hrs before. First time, got second to last row, aisle seats (checked in two passengers). This time, received second to last row, middle. When I look to upgrade my seat, there are a ton of seats around me, even window and aisle open. Next time I fly, I am waiting to check-in, will see how that one turns out.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
The first time we waited until the middles were gone and were assigned to the same row, seats C+D.

This second time we checked in at the airport and got assigned two adjacent seats in row 4.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:26 pm

Checked in for two flights in the last two days (T-24, T-20). I was "randomly" given 2nd to last row middle seat (23B) both times.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
I was also given 2nd to last row middle seats on my last two F9 flights after checking in at T-24. I just asked the gate agent to reassign my seat and they were able to do it for free prior to boarding both times. I also saw a couple ask the agent to be seated together, and their request was granted as well. I've seen other LCCs do this too - charge for seat selection when booking, but allow you to change it for free at checkin and/or at the gate.

Last edited by hypertext; Dec 20, 2014 at 4:12 am
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
I have been wondering about this from the perspective of someone who pays for seating assignments when traveling with my family. What are the chances that people who aren't paying for seat assignments are winding up with better seats than we are?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnearline
I have been wondering about this from the perspective of someone who pays for seating assignments when traveling with my family. What are the chances that people who aren't paying for seat assignments are winding up with better seats than we are?
I'll put it this way: if the plane is full, someone has to be sitting in every seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.