Schedule extended, route cuts

Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:12 pm

As far as ILG-MCO being listed as seasonal, I think it's dependent if F9's PHL-MCO can't perform profitably against Southwest and USAir service out of PHL. If F9 struggles on those routes (MCO and maybe TPA also) out of PHL, F9 could move those two Florida routes back to ILG. Maybe MIA and ATL and other markets could stay at PHL.

I'd like to see F9 fly PHL-LAX again. It was a short lived route from them back 10 years ago. Fares are high with US the only carrier providing nonstops over the summer.

F9 however announced ATL/ORD/CLT for PHL. I have my doubts of the viability of the latter two year-round, and think even if it's just for the summer, the routes are duplicative to TTN routes.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA
I really hope PHL-LAX happens. Even if it's a red-eye return. However, do many ULCCs do transcons? Does Spirit have any?

It's a pretty long flight for 28 inch seat pitch (though we're waiting to see what Frontier's final seat layout will be).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25
As far as ILG-MCO being listed as seasonal, I think it's dependent if F9's PHL-MCO can't perform profitably against Southwest and USAir service out of PHL. If F9 struggles on those routes (MCO and maybe TPA also) out of PHL, F9 could move those two Florida routes back to ILG.
Maybe so. But should they return I don't think they will match their previous yields. Airlines pull out of markets all the time but the difference with ILG is that since F9 is the only carrier, it effectively closes the airport. Reaction to their leaving is strong - I don't know that previous flyers give them another shot. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face... refusing to fly F9 because they abandoned the market... and therefore once again denying yourself commercial service. But I can see it happening.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm glad to see that, for now at least, RDU-CLE and RDU-TTN are remaining but wow...what a devastating bunch of cuts
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm glad to see that, for now at least, RDU-CLE and RDU-TTN are remaining but wow...what a devastating bunch of cuts
TTN-RDU and TTN-ATL have been stable with Frontier. Frontier is keeping morning service that has been very consistent from when the flights were first offered, so likely there are repeat customers. I wouldn't be surprised if there is business traffic with likely consultants on the flights. It's good to see some route stability.

There was too much route frequency instability last summer. I don't think TTN-CLE for example ever got a good schedule (Tu, Thu AM and Saturday evening makes for a lousy 3x weekly schedule), nor did many of the ILG routes, but atleast TTN-RDU remains even with little promotion and F9 awareness from the RDU side. DEN-GSO returns in the Summer. Given the shaft that MDT got for being a medium sized market, I'm surprised it didn't eliminate GSO in favor of DEN-CLT and/or DEN-RDU flights.

Last edited by rtalk25; Nov 25, 2014 at 9:28 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:59 pm

Too bad CVG to TTN will be gone since frontier kinda build a focus city there. Focus I mean add flights
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:34 am

Left unsaid in all of this is what will be added (or restored) once the Airbus Neos start being added in early '16.

ILG might be dead for now, but I suspect service could be brought back once the fleet expands. It is not that F9 was not making money at ILG; it was that they thought they could make more money elsewhere. I suspect, though, that this will be a good opportunity for Allegiant to fill the breach.

As for TTN, my primary hope is not so much that we will get a lot more flights (I think the present infrasturcture really cannot handle more than 11 flights per day, and they are at 9/day in 2015), but that the Neos (both A319 and A320) can allow longer N/S flights from TTN's 6000-ft. runway - I'm thinking DEN or LAS.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by EricR111
Left unsaid in all of this is what will be added (or restored) once the Airbus Neos start being added in early '16.

ILG might be dead for now, but I suspect service could be brought back once the fleet expands. It is not that F9 was not making money at ILG; it was that they thought they could make more money elsewhere. I suspect, though, that this will be a good opportunity for Allegiant to fill the breach.

As for TTN, my primary hope is not so much that we will get a lot more flights (I think the present infrasturcture really cannot handle more than 11 flights per day, and they are at 9/day in 2015), but that the Neos (both A319 and A320) can allow longer N/S flights from TTN's 6000-ft. runway - I'm thinking DEN or LAS.
Spirit off nonstop to Vegas from PHL, price is low, it's hard to beat since Frontier and Spirit operate same business model, plus PhL is much better than TTN
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by cubachao
Spirit off nonstop to Vegas from PHL, price is low, it's hard to beat since Frontier and Spirit operate same business model, plus PhL is much better than TTN
PHL is better in what way for F9? That it is bigger? That it is more centrally located?

PHL is also subject to more flight delays and more vehicular traffic problems getting to and from the airport; I would guess its landing fees and operating costs are greater, and F9 has economies of scale at TTN, since its fixed costs would be spread over more weekly flights. Plus F9 has no competition at Trenton. I realize that a longer flight typically requires a bigger plane on the reduced fare model to work. However, with high load factors, F9 could get very good yields to LAS, especially if the A320 neos can be made to work out of there, thus giving them 168 seats instead of 138.

It should be noted that they are booking TTN-LAS starting next May with a plane change (at ORD). The listed fares, however, are ridiculously high.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Airlines Early Returns, US Airways Dividend Miles
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...turn/19544625/

Frontier is now promising to resume service to at least one Florida destination in late 2015
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
did F9 completely abandon Alaska? I know FAI was permanently discontinued, but I no longer see ANC either in the airport drop down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.