Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDC looking for Frontier Passengers flt 1143

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
What we are doing is ignoring protocols which aready exist. CDC protocols include no travel by common carrier for 21 days after treating an Ebola patient. This nurse violated that protocol. Now whether she violated the protocol because she wasn't informed of it, didn't understand it, or just felt it didn't apply to her, we don't know.
Just like some of the NBC crew who were told to quarantine themselves for 21 days. One or two didn't think it applied to them.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Just read the nurse who traveled had a temperature of 99.5 before she got on the plane according to the CDC. If anyone catches this from her, she should be punished, if she survives. JMO. I don't mean to be harsh, but this has to stop!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: FT
disconcerting - esp the nurses letter. i feel for the nurses. anyone know if the Dr's were treating from a separate room?

hopefully the US government spends a small fraction of what they spend on the military to get this sorted out.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS
People are very self serving. I am not surprised that some chose to not believe that the rules applied to them. Unfortunately the problem such as this may get worse.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by elkhornne
Just like some of the NBC crew who were told to quarantine themselves for 21 days. One or two didn't think it applied to them.
Nancy Snyderman syndrome. "But I'm talent."
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:32 pm

I'm hitting two birds with one stone. I'm getting my plane ticket on LAN's new 787 to Easter Island....and I ain't coming back
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by mkjr
disconcerting - esp the nurses letter. i feel for the nurses. anyone know if the Dr's were treating from a separate room?

hopefully the US government spends a small fraction of what they spend on the military to get this sorted out.
You raise a pertinent question. Is the CDC funded for this? Are private hospitals? Somebody needs to get control of this situation and quickly.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:48 pm

I've just watched a news report on Sky News that said that the second nurse to be confirmed with Ebola flew her outgoing journey 4 days before and her homeward journey 1 day before presenting with Ebola symptoms, the report said that there was 'low risk' to the other passengers on the flight because she wasn't contagious when she flew..... The reporter then went on to say that she (and the first nurse that contracted the disease) came into contact with the Liberian man 3 days before he showed symptoms.... Surely this is a contradiction as to at what point the disease can be passed on?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by PurplePolly
I've just watched a news report on Sky News that said that the second nurse to be confirmed with Ebola flew her outgoing journey 4 days before and her homeward journey 1 day before presenting with Ebola symptoms, the report said that there was 'low risk' to the other passengers on the flight because she wasn't contagious when she flew..... The reporter then went on to say that she (and the first nurse that contracted the disease) came into contact with the Liberian man 3 days before he showed symptoms.... Surely this is a contradiction as to at what point the disease can be passed on?
Dallas News says the two nurses did not use protective suits for the first two days of Duncan's care. He was symptomatic for ebola and had been admitted during this time, but his ebola test took two days to confirm.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...n-dallas.html/
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Welcome to Flyertalk, PurplePolly.

Not at all. Both nurses treated Mr. Duncan when he was fully symptomatic, dealing with blood, vomit, and diarrhea. It seems unlikely that they would have had contact with him before he showed symptoms, because that would mean that they had known him personally. He did not show up at the hospital (even the first time) until after he had symptoms. The reporter almost certainly was speaking in error.

Even when people are symptomatic they are not all that contagious. You really have to touch the body fluids of the person in question and then introduce them into your body somehow. Patrick Sawyer, the man who brought Ebola to Nigeria was fully symptomatic on the flight to Nigeria. Not one person on that flight ended up catching Ebola. The people at greatest risk are those who are direct caregivers of symptomatic patients.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
What I don't understand is why he was treated in the Dallas hospital in the first place. When they were first transferring aid workers, etc back to the US for treatment, they talked about Emory being the only hospital that could handle the biohazard level (4?) that Ebola is. Seems like there needs to be specialized care in these sorts of situations.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:10 pm

Thank you for clarifying this Hazel and You want to go, I was quite concerned when I heard the reporter as it seemed clear that he was contradicting himself. My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering... And thank you for letting me post on your forum.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:24 pm

We also need to remember that the only air route still available to Europe out of the infected countries are the twice weekly flights of Brussels Airline to Brussels,from which passengers can transfer to lots of places, including the US as Dallas ebola patient Duncan did. This may have brought Belgium its first case of ebola:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dly-virus.html

Belgium needs to close this avenue of infection.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:31 pm

The plane utilized by Frontier to transport the Ebola passenger was utilitized for FIVE additional flights that same day ; a return trip to Cleveland from Dallas then flights to Florida and Atlanta. At the end of the day, Frontier says the plane was "CLEANED using NORMAL procedures". Wow. So likely, five more passengers got to sit in an Ebola INFECTED seat. And the plane was cleaned , "normally" ? Like vacuumed ? No bleach on that seat ? No doubt the cleaning crew forgot their "normal" hazmat gear ?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:37 pm

The reports are now that the nurse had a fever of 99.5 BEFORE she got on the plane. That is NOT good.

And, of all people, why should a nurse be putting others at risk by violating quarantine orders?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.