Wiki Posts
Search

Seasonal strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Seasonal strategy?

I see some discussion of this in the CUN thread, but wanted to inquire more broadly.

I'm trying to redeem miles for smaller destinations. I've searched a dozen airports and pretty much ALL stop flying in the winter. It could be my ignorance, but some seem puzzling. I can understand not many people go to Eugene or some places in Montana in the winter. But Santa Barbara stops after Jan 6? Seems like a pretty good destination in winter, much warmer than most. No Jackson Hole, a popular ski destination, after Sep 6-ish? What are these decisions based on? (empirical evidence I hope, but the outcome is puzzling).

Also, FAI and JAC are currently showing NO destination at all. I assume they are simply out of season already, not permanently discontinued. Right?

BTW, as of yesterday award space was only open thru March 1. That's 5 1/2 months. They better extend that or we'll all be paying the award redemption fee, which requires 6 months in advance!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
It could be my ignorance, but some seem puzzling. I can understand not many people go to Eugene or some places in Montana in the winter. But Santa Barbara stops after Jan 6? Seems like a pretty good destination in winter, much warmer than most. No Jackson Hole, a popular ski destination, after Sep 6-ish? What are these decisions based on? (empirical evidence I hope, but the outcome is puzzling).
SBA is a difficult airport at the best of times, it has very little service. There is some traffic DEN-SBA in winter but not enough to make decent money.

Conversely, PSP - Palm Springs - is a bonanza in winter but falls off a cliff in summer because of the heat.

Similarly, there is no leisure market for Alaska in winter. Frontier tried DEN-ANC one winter and was getting 30% loads.

Q1 - deep winter - has always been a financial sink-hole for Frontier and this year they are doing something about it. The CEO yesterday defined the profitable (domestic) winter flying as Florida, Texas and Arizona.

They have been prepared to nurse some routes through winter - SBA, e.g. - but this year the problem is compounded by the fact they are taking aircraft put of the fleet in order to install new seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.