Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier announces new routes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by EricR111
Supposedly, Ronson Aviation, the executive jet carrier at the airport, has its own customs set up. Perhaps Frontier could purchase their building and modify it as a terminal for international flights. As for range, I am assuming the 320-neo would have greater range on TTN's 6006 foot runway than the present generation of the A-320 family, making some of these Carribean destinations possible. (And I think you would need at least an A320 rather than A319 to make there longer flights profitable.)

Finally, I think F9 maybe should consider the Bombardier CS300 as a jetliner for use at TTN, since it is really designed for shorter runways. Specs say that it requires 6200' at MTOW, which means a range of approximately 2900 nm, while needing only 5000 ft. of runway for a 1700 nm flight, while carrying ~140 passengers. It is also supposedly more fuel efficient that the A319.

Unless of course, Boeing decides to bring back the 757.
A few things to note about your comments.
1. Ronson Aviation was acquired by Landmark Aviation and is now operating under Landmark.
2. It would be too expensive to purchase the Ronson building under Frontier's ULCC model. They would be more likely to build a decent size modular building (atleast 2-3X the baggage trailer) somewhere next to the terminal to house a customs area
3. While the CS300 would be a great plane to operate from TTN, it would require the additional cost of a sub-fleet with all the maintenance and training expenses that come with it. The A320NEOs will have about 500nm additional range from TTN enough to get to DEN, CUN and the Western Caribbean. If this obstruction project works they might be able to reach LAS or PHX as well.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by davywavy
Delta still used the 757 SNA-ATL (1900 miles), the point being that SNA has no limiting obstructions, as TTN does.

I doubt they would be considering the complicated process of relocating the cell towers at TTN unless it were considered necessary for more effective use of the aircraft/airport.
for a time UA used the 757 SNA-EWR as well.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
3. While the CS300 would be a great plane to operate from TTN, it would require the additional cost of a sub-fleet with all the maintenance and training expenses that come with it.
I go back to what now looks like an error: F9 should have kept their A318s. They would work dandy for TTN-DEN et al.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I go back to what now looks like an error: F9 should have kept their A318s. They would work dandy for TTN-DEN et al.
The A318's wouldn't have helped. They are almost as heavy as the A319, and the reduced capacity makes it tough to make money with them.

And the TTN runway obstruction problem would still have been there.

The A318's were fine when they were first ordered and oil was less than $30 a barrel, but even then most airlines cancelled their orders when Pratt and Whitney failed to deliver on its engine for them.

By default, because so many airlines had cancelled, Frontier became the launch customer, with the launch customer discount. But as oil when up and up, the aircraft became less and less viable. Fewer than 100 were ever ordered.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rtalk25
I think AirTran used to apply more frequency on that route. But when Frontier launched it, it later did downsize frequency only for Allegiant to move into MDT.

Allegiant and Frontier compete on that route and maybe Frontier doesn't want to concede. I think Frontier might be advantaged flying to MCO over SFB since MCO is closer to WWD.

As Indigo wants Florida flying back in for the purpose of attaining Quarter 1 profit and offset to DEN, I'd think resuming ABE-MCO and maybe ABE-FLL would do well. AirTran used to fly to both markets.

MDT-DFW would be interesting but wouldn't AA respond with service? I think US is the preferred carrier at MDT so I've wondered if AA/US would start a MDT-DFW anyways (aside from Frontier's presence in both markets). UA is in weaker shape and probably won't start on MDT-IAH but would that route do well anyways on Frontier? Frontier seems to be going for large city large city but act as ULCC but shorter haul service (like 1000 miles or less) as well as Florida this extension.
I don't know if AA is in the position to expand flying out of DFW right now, so it could be a way for F9 to fly under the radar a bit.

One thing that really hurts MDT for ULCCs and legacies for that matter is proximity to BWI, which is now a full fledged Southwest hub that keeps growing. It's no wonder MDT-MDW didn't work with SW and Spirit flying the route (though Spirit flying to ORD) from BWI. From my observations and conversations I overheard on my MDT-MDW flight recently, it seemed to be getting a fair amount of State College area traffic. But fares on MDT-Chicago aren't obscene, with AA and UA both offering plenty of frequencies and even first class service with the 739 from UA (!) on some days. Interestingly, both flights MDT-MDW and MDW-MDT I took were entirely full, though as we know load factors aren't everything.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by bridge29
I don't know if AA is in the position to expand flying out of DFW right now, so it could be a way for F9 to fly under the radar a bit.

One thing that really hurts MDT for ULCCs and legacies for that matter is proximity to BWI, which is now a full fledged Southwest hub that keeps growing. It's no wonder MDT-MDW didn't work with SW and Spirit flying the route (though Spirit flying to ORD) from BWI. From my observations and conversations I overheard on my MDT-MDW flight recently, it seemed to be getting a fair amount of State College area traffic. But fares on MDT-Chicago aren't obscene, with AA and UA both offering plenty of frequencies and even first class service with the 739 from UA (!) on some days. Interestingly, both flights MDT-MDW and MDW-MDT I took were entirely full, though as we know load factors aren't everything.
Another thing that might have hurt MDT-MDW is that it was an early morning flight. So, it likely did not have the reverse leakage benefit to pull from the Baltimore and Philly region outskirts since the flight was early in the morning and one would need to stay at a hotel in Harrisburg the night before to reach it.

Also, AA and UA fly MDT-ORD. Maybe MDT-ORD would have done better from Frontier so that pax can fly atleast fly one way on Frontier and if the return flight doesn't work out, fly return on AA or UA. I'm not sure though if AA and UA charge high on one-ways and apply discounting on roundtrips however for that route.

ORD also has more hotel rooms in vicinity than MDW, and Chicago hotels in the summer (during it's peak season) can be expensive, so if it was an early morning run, it makes it harder to return via MDW.

At a certain point, I thought Frontier could do well on ABE-MDW/ORD as it'd just be competing against United regional jets, especially if Frontier added back ABE-Florida. But, I think Frontier is now linking Chicago to more larger markets/airports, and it would rather it not dilute TTN-MDW and it can offer more Midwest destinations out of TTN like MKE and IND for those that might be priced out of flying TTN-MDW once those seats sell up.

Last edited by rtalk25; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:45 am
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:59 am

Frontier is adding
DFW-MEM
ORD-PHX
ORD-SLC

http://news.flyfrontier.com/press-re...-fare-routes-0

It seems like Frontier is going more in the direction of daily:

I posted awhile back if Frontier would consider MDW-SLC. This is because all the majors fly regional jets and offer high fares. Southwest flies mainline but runs the first morning flight so that alot of connecting pax in the East fill up seats and choose the better ones too. It made it expensive for a general Chicago resident to reach SLC and vice-versa, plus Frontier has a sizeable presence in both markets given that DEN is right in between them and Frontier offers reasonable frequency on both sides.

DFW-MEM is interesting. Is Frontier planning a focus at either DFW or MEM?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Frontier is adding
DFW-MEM
ORD-PHX
ORD-SLC
Wow! Great news! I'm sure this route will be so successful. There goes some more competitive against AA/UA/US.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:41 pm

I posted awhile back if Frontier would consider MDW-SLC.
I think it's probably a very good route, but the timing surprises me. It is one of the very few (the only?) of the new routes that is cold weather to cold weather.

DFW-MEM is interesting. Is Frontier planning a focus at either DFW or MEM?
Who knows? I doubt either will be an official focus city, but with Frontier in its present expansionary mood, I guess it could happen.

I'm fairly surprised they haven't announced a warm weather destination from MEM, though - Florida, say.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by davywavy
I think it's probably a very good route, but the timing surprises me. It is one of the very few (the only?) of the new routes that is cold weather to cold weather.
It is cold city to cold city, but maybe Frontier can attain some ski and recreation bound traffic. Also SLC is generally milder and it can vary from Chicago, where SLC is experiencing west coast like weather while Chicago is just cold.

For SLC pax to Chicago, Chicago's winter might not sound all that great but Chicago is a well lit generally vibrant city and SLC pax might be used to some level of cold also.

I also think the fares between the markets were high just because the service from all four majors were targeted a lot towards connecting traffic, and RJs on the Delta, AA and UA, and not being able to select a seat easily or getting an ideal seat on Southwest without having to pay for Business Select.

Last edited by rtalk25; Aug 26, 2014 at 5:27 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
F9 adds nonstop CVG-FLL/LAS/PHX/MCO/DFW

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...-cvg/14663485/

F9 adds more nonstop CVG-FLL/LAS/MCO/PHX/DFW. Let wait for real official release by tomorrow morning.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:04 pm

I was wondering if F9 would start CVG-MCO. I didn't expect a focus style build up though. Still also interesting that it chose FLL this time over TPA. I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow to find about the route frequencies.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:11 pm

I was wondering if F9 would start CVG-MCO. I didn't expect a focus style build up though. Still also interesting that it chose FLL this time over TPA. I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow to find about the route frequencies.
I believe it is DFW daily (or 6 x), the rest as you would expect - MCO/LAS 4 x weekly and FLL/PHX 3 x.

Last edited by davywavy; Aug 27, 2014 at 2:44 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:38 pm

MEM to DFW frontier for 39$

I know this isnt a long range thing but anyway its a pretty good deal. Frontier airlines is starting flights from memphis to dallas for 39$ on october 26 and running through March 1 2015. The 39$ fair seems to be for week days and the fair is around 110 on weekends.

What reward programs transfer to frontier?

#Firstpostflameaway
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

That fare sounds fair.

Frontier usually offers very low fares like that when entering a new market. It will be interesting to see whether any of the larger competitors on the route match the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.