Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no TSA Pre-Check for Frontier?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
When you have IT ibfrastructure which is not built around the sort of information-sharing TSA requires, it means a radical software upgrade to join the program. That is far from cost-free. As F9 does not interline with other carriers, there is little commercial incentive to adopt one of the common GDS such as Amadeus.
They use Navitaire, which is being purchased by Amadeus. My understanding is that Southwest uses Amadeus for their international reservations, and do not have Pre-Check on international flights nor apparently on any domestic flight connecting with an international flight.

Part of the problem no doubt is the limbo Frontier was in for so long before the current owners bought them. I think they used to use Sabre which should have been able to support Pre-Check, but the previous management never implemented it.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:25 pm

Frontier revenue

The way I see Frontier making money from not having TSA pre is by charging people to print a boarding pass. I don't see Frontier getting TSA pre until they offer electronic boarding. I flew Frontier this morning and the seats didn't recline on the flight. I am guessing they are trying to replicate Spirit.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathanj
The way I see Frontier making money from not having TSA pre is by charging people to print a boarding pass. I don't see Frontier getting TSA pre until they offer electronic boarding. I flew Frontier this morning and the seats didn't recline on the flight. I am guessing they are trying to replicate Spirit.
But you are always able to print your boarding pass before you get to the airport and as far as I know they don't charge to print boarding passes at the airport (they didn't charge me to reprint one last week). Plus I don't know how you print a boarding pass has anything to do with TSA Pre.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:04 am

Electronic boarding TSA pre

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
But you are always able to print your boarding pass before you get to the airport and as far as I know they don't charge to print boarding passes at the airport (they didn't charge me to reprint one last week). Plus I don't know how you print a boarding pass has anything to do with TSA Pre.
The only airlines that don't have TSA pre also do not have electronic boarding. Printing a ticket is free at the kiosk but they want you to use someone working the desk. The moment Spirit changes to electronic boarding Frontier will follow or vice versa. I actually would love to bet on this topic. Vegas needs to start betting option on when this will happen. Put me down for a 100 on November of 2017.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:49 am

The only airlines that don't have TSA pre also do not have electronic boarding. Printing a ticket is free at the kiosk but they want you to use someone working the desk. The moment Spirit changes to electronic boarding Frontier will follow or vice versa. I actually would love to bet on this topic. Vegas needs to start betting option on when this will happen. Put me down for a 100 on November of 2017.
I think you're equating two different unrelated things. I can see to logical or technical connection between electronic boarding passes and TSA-Pre.

The most obvious reason Spirit and Frontier don't have those features is they both use Navitaire which doesn't support those options, although Air Canada seems to use it as well.

The last time I had a Boarding Pass reprinted at the airport it was reprinted by one of the TAs at the counter. There was no charge.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Oct 7, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
These are very different things.

1. Navitaire is not Pre-capable right now. That means carriers either have to invest in the company implementing it or create an off-host solution that feeds Navitaire the data.

2. Frontier took a huge step back by switching to Navitaire. It will cost a ton more $$$ now to implement PreCheck compared to activating it on Sabre, which already had it up and running.

3. I doubt Navitaire's boarding pass printing and issuance solution is digital signature compliant, for both paper and mobile boarding passes. Having a secure digital signature is a required for PreCheck, and it's extremely expensive to implement.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:16 pm

Question Talked to Frontier agent - alternative with paperwork?

I just got off the phone with a Frontier representative regarding TSA Pre plans for the airline. He was very limited with the information he could share regarding the airline's plans for the TSA Pre program. However, he shared a tip that I'd like to ask if anyone had any success with.

He mentioned to bring the TSA Pre paperwork to the airport. Even though the TSA Pre logo won't be printed on the boarding pass - passengers might have success accessing the TSA Pre line anyways.

I just joined TSA Pre and concluded the interview and fingerprint process. I'm not experienced to know what paperwork he's referring to. I imagine he's suggesting that I print the Known Traveler number in addition to anything else official within my future online profile (within the TSA Pre online portal).

:-: If anyone else had success with this procedure then I'd like to hear from them. I'm sure it'll benefit the community as well.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:59 pm

You get a ID card (no picture) with your Known Traveler #. I was curious if that would work to access TSA Pre.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ramagoon
I just got off the phone with a Frontier representative regarding TSA Pre plans for the airline. He was very limited with the information he could share regarding the airline's plans for the TSA Pre program. However, he shared a tip that I'd like to ask if anyone had any success with.

He mentioned to bring the TSA Pre paperwork to the airport. Even though the TSA Pre logo won't be printed on the boarding pass - passengers might have success accessing the TSA Pre line anyways.

I just joined TSA Pre and concluded the interview and fingerprint process. I'm not experienced to know what paperwork he's referring to. I imagine he's suggesting that I print the Known Traveler number in addition to anything else official within my future online profile (within the TSA Pre online portal).

:-: If anyone else had success with this procedure then I'd like to hear from them. I'm sure it'll benefit the community as well.
You were fed a line of b.s. by the phone agent. Not surprising as I can't imagine that any carrier briefs its phone agents on policy matters.

A KTN alone will not get you access to Pre-Check. You need to enter the KTN in your booking profile / PNR and have it processed by your TSA-compliant carrier and have the carrier receive an "OK" back from TSA. At that point, your BP will print with the TSA Pre-Check logo and barring very rare circumstances, you will be admitted to the pre-check lane.

Showing your Pre / GE / Nexus card at the checkpoint will not get you access to pre-check.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:33 pm

I'd point out that Frontier now has electronic boarding passes but does not yet have Pre.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:26 pm

Its nearly March 2016 and Frontier is still without TSA-Pre. They are just one of two - the other being Spirit. I heard even Allegiant is TSA-Pre.

I am one of those who pays for the front seats.

I don't think its technology. I just don't think they care. I fly a bunch every year, loved Frontier, but now I move on.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Arkarch
Its nearly March 2016 and Frontier is still without TSA-Pre. They are just one of two - the other being Spirit. I heard even Allegiant is TSA-Pre.

I am one of those who pays for the front seats.

I don't think its technology. I just don't think they care. I fly a bunch every year, loved Frontier, but now I move on.
So how much would it actually cost Frontier and Spirit to become TSA-Pre enabled?

Intuitively, it seems crazy not to be compliant because you're actively deterring frequent flyers from using your airline, and logic says frequent flyers bring in the most revenue. But perhaps the other aspects of their service deter most such folks anyway, so they feel no need to spend the money.

I'd guess that new Spriit CEO Fornaro (ex AirTran) will spend the money.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
So how much would it actually cost Frontier and Spirit to become TSA-Pre enabled?

Intuitively, it seems crazy not to be compliant because you're actively deterring frequent flyers from using your airline, and logic says frequent flyers bring in the most revenue. But perhaps the other aspects of their service deter most such folks anyway, so they feel no need to spend the money.

I'd guess that new Spriit CEO Fornaro (ex AirTran) will spend the money.
I doubt it.

The problem is the "new" Frontier reservation system was not TSA-Pre compatible when Frontier signed up and they knew it. Since that happened Amadeus bought Navitaire so there may be hope for the future.

Airtran was never TSA-Pre. In fact Southwest only joined TSA-Pre after they bought Airtran.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I doubt it.

The problem is the "new" Frontier reservation system was not TSA-Pre compatible when Frontier signed up and they knew it. Since that happened Amadeus bought Navitaire so there may be hope for the future.

Airtran was never TSA-Pre. In fact Southwest only joined TSA-Pre after they bought Airtran.
Fornaro says he wants to improve Spirit's product. Honestly, if you want ANY biz travellers these days, you need Pre. Maybe Spirit doesn't want them. But I'd guess they'll want to try. Not having Pre is like telling every frequent flyer to go fly someone else.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Fornaro says he wants to improve Spirit's product. Honestly, if you want ANY biz travellers these days, you need Pre. Maybe Spirit doesn't want them. But I'd guess they'll want to try. Not having Pre is like telling every frequent flyer to go fly someone else.
I am a frequent business flyer and I don't care that much about Pre I happly flew 26 flights on Frontier las yrae and would fly them again, if their schedule matched my needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.