More flights from CLE

Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Thank you very much....Not asking for a match believe it or not. I'll have over 25K by September or so. Paying for the stretch seating for now, I have been paying extra to UA for years to keep the hub, not that it got us anywhere. This time around I'll pay a lil extra to F9 in hopes of supporting the new service in CLE and hopefully getting more.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
DFW and LAS as well. TOTAL overlaps of UA who will retreat.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:50 pm

I wonder if it'll do CLE-California. LAX and SFO are United hubs, but maybe it'd consider CLE-SNA as F9 has an SNA airport presence and this wouldn't be a direct challenge to a UA hub, LAX with mainline to CLE.

It might get a slot if SNA awards it because it's new city, or it'd use a DEN-SNA slot, as 4x daily DEN-SNA likely is connection reliant anyways.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
DFW and LAS as well. TOTAL overlaps of UA who will retreat.
Let the bloodbath begin!!!

Go get'em!!
Old May 15, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Great news. Will be interesting to see if UA retreats from the NS Florida routes. Pretty aggressive of F9 to take them on to Florida. Happy to see PHX hoping for all year. MSY would be great and a daily to TTN or twice a day for the commute.
Im really hoping to see all service be expanded to daily. Only then can they see the true possibilities of a CLE focus city.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25
I wonder if it'll do CLE-California. LAX and SFO are United hubs, but maybe it'd consider CLE-SNA as F9 has an SNA airport presence and this wouldn't be a direct challenge to a UA hub, LAX with mainline to CLE.

It might get a slot if SNA awards it because it's new city, or it'd use a DEN-SNA slot, as 4x daily DEN-SNA likely is connection reliant anyways.
I feel like if they keep overlapping current UA routes, UA will begin to pick off mainline, and F9 replace em'. Look at PHX. Dropped by UA, Added by AAL and F9, and im anxious to see if Southwest decides to spare a plane or two and grow CLE, but I have my doubts, they inherited a nice operations base at CAK and are growing that. I want someone to replace MCI, I used it a ton. If SW would come in and (heres my christmas list ;P )

MSP (hoping delta starts mainline)
STL
MCI
DAL
HOU
PHX (eh, why not 3rd carriers a charm)

One thing i'll miss is the regional flights. We wont get them back unless a new hub is formed... not going to happen.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by 15bachman
I feel like if they keep overlapping current UA routes, UA will begin to pick off mainline, and F9 replace em'. Look at PHX. Dropped by UA, Added by AAL and F9, and im anxious to see if Southwest decides to spare a plane or two and grow CLE, but I have my doubts, they inherited a nice operations base at CAK and are growing that. I want someone to replace MCI, I used it a ton. If SW would come in and (heres my christmas list ;P )

STL
MCI
DAL
HOU

One thing i'll miss is the regional flights. We wont get them back unless a new hub is formed... not going to happen.

I am at present not a fan of Frontier. They have absolutely no history here where UA has had a nice presence here even going back to the 1960's.
They did pull most routes in 1986 at the first hub closure and then CO picked up many routes. I would prefer WN expanded.
I would keep an eye at the UA schedules once the hub cuts are final in June to see if UA cuts more flights.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:21 pm

Assuming CLE keeps booking the way it is I think it is inevitable that Frontier will add CLE-LAX - but possibly not until the spring.

Maybe CLE-SFO, but Im not quite so sure about that. CLE-SAN - summer seasonal?

I think CLE-SNA is a great idea, but I'm not sure the A319 can make it, fully laden, from the SNA runway. Maybe wait till the A319Neo?
Old May 15, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
More flights from CLE

I was hoping CLE-UST/FLL. I hope that they will considering.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I was hoping CLE-UST/FLL. I hope that they will considering.
Frontier's CLE-FLL starts in June.

I agree about CLE-UST, though.
Old May 16, 2014, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by 15bachman

STL
MCI
DAL
HOU

Very unlikely to see WN expansion at CLE. They simply do not have enough aircraft. Of the cities you suggest, IMO, STL is the only possible one - and a distant one for that for WN.

I doubt DL will put mainline on MSP - although there would certainly be room for SY to move into the market.

It would not be crazy for DL to upgrade CLE-DTW to mainline (simply defer retirement of a MD88) as part of an aggressive attempt to garnish customers away from UA. If only their FF plan wasn't horrid.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by davywavy
Frontier's CLE-FLL starts in June.

I agree about CLE-UST, though.
UST is nice but one can the visit St. Augustine destination area through MCO. It's not too far of a drive, especially combined with some Orlando destination visiting. UST is a more convenient. But with the MCO proximity factor, and likely limits on fleet, I'm going to guess UST just gets access to another major city like Chicago (MDW) before CLE and CLE gets maybe another destination somewhere farther away from an existing destination. But that's my guess. I'd just like to see Southwest challenged with another carrier flying from MDW to the Sunshine state and UST would be a passive way that Southwest likely wouldn't feel compelled to do anything since it's an in between airport of MCO and JAX, but it'd know it's being challenged on that convenience for MDW for downtown residents seeking a Florida getaway.

Last edited by rtalk25; May 16, 2014 at 7:20 am
Old May 16, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Very unlikely to see WN expansion at CLE. They simply do not have enough aircraft.
It is always able to shift aircraft around though.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:43 am

It is always able to shift aircraft around though.
True, but WN is already shifting aircraft around to build operations ex-DAL.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Very unlikely to see WN expansion at CLE. They simply do not have enough aircraft. Of the cities you suggest, IMO, STL is the only possible one - and a distant one for that for WN.

I doubt DL will put mainline on MSP - although there would certainly be room for SY to move into the market.

It would not be crazy for DL to upgrade CLE-DTW to mainline (simply defer retirement of a MD88) as part of an aggressive attempt to garnish customers away from UA. If only their FF plan wasn't horrid.
take a look at post hub PIT. Delta swoops in and adds mainline to nearly every hub, from LGA to JFK, MSP, DTW, heck they took a shot at CDG and made it work at Frontier like frequency. I agree, DTW is far fetched, but Im sticking to it about MSP. NE Ohio has nothing but RJ, and low frequency RJ to MSP. Closest mainline is PIT. As the 3rd biggest hub (MSP), and UA dropping flights to MSP all together, I think they could make it work. Will it happen? time will tell, just my opinion. Im a St Paul native so id like to be able to fly home on something other than a CRJ, maybe thats why im so for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.