FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program-668/)
-   -   New Route Cuts Including Newark (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program/1312044-new-route-cuts-including-newark.html)

knope2001 Feb 8, 2012 7:40 pm

New Route Cuts Including Newark

Looks like the last day of Newark is 3/31. All the rest of the existing MKE and MCI schedule seems intact through summer at this point. That includes the rest of the RJ markets at Milwaukee.

The only further item of question I see is that the main scheule page won't bring up Boston as a destination from MKE, and vice versa. The Boston flights planned to resume in later April never "worked" with the rest of the MKE schedule. If they do plan to offer MKE-BOS, they need to rework something else in the schedule.

MKE-BOS is still bookable elsewhere on the website, including a full array of fares. So perhaps it is not being pulled. But updates to the front page (which include those new cities mentioned in the other thread) may have purposely included the removal of MKE-BOS as a valid search in preparation for official removal coming.

knope2001 Feb 8, 2012 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001 (Post 17979632)
Looks like the last day of Newark is 3/31. All the rest of the existing MKE and MCI schedule seems intact through summer at this point. That includes the rest of the RJ markets at Milwaukee.

Actually...it might be much worse. The online booking doesn't show these cuts, but if you look at the online schedule there are several cuts.

MCI-MKE
MCI-HOU
MKE-PHL
MKE-DFW
MKE-PHX

DCA only shows 1x/day instead of 2x.

Also, while CMH, IND, OMA, BNA and RHI all remain as 2x/day RJ, it looks like GRR ends in April. This leaves three lines of RJ flying.

We'll see if these are really the new saleable schedule shortly, or if something else is up.

Looks like MCI-LAX, MCI-SFO, and MCI-SEA are all missing too.

Also...

DEN-SAT
DEN-BOI
DEN-GRB
DEN-RFD
DEN-ASE. The Q400's are leaving.

MikeFromMKE Feb 8, 2012 10:07 pm

Well that kind of stinks. The Q's leaving isn't surprising, and I wonder if they'll try again getting the E90 certified for ASE. Either way it probably wasn't paying for itself anymore.

I guess I can say goodbye to AUS-MCI-MKE. Connecting in DEN gives me more miles but is less conveinient.

Surprised to see SAT leave, but the 1x daily wasn't something they could sustain. It was 3x daily not too long ago. RFD is probably seasonal with CUN service? We already guessed about GRB I think.

Looks like most of the cuts in MKE and MCI are what is funding the new expansion. Surprised they are keeping the RJ flying as is but removing GRR. I was under the impression GRR has been a solid market. Its a 20 minute flight versus a 5 hour drive.

Its too bad they returned those 2 E90s...

knope2001 Feb 8, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks for changing the title of the thread. Had I known it was so much more than Newark I would have titled appropriately. So far it's only Newark that is pulled from the actual inventory for sale, but I suspect within a few days that will catch up and these other cuts will appear.

BlueHorseShoe2000 Feb 9, 2012 1:27 am

Originally Posted by knope2001 (Post 17979955)
Actually...it might be much worse. The online booking doesn't show these cuts, but if you look at the online schedule there are several cuts.

MCI-MKE
MCI-HOU
MKE-PHL
MKE-DFW
MKE-PHX

DCA only shows 1x/day instead of 2x.

Also, while CMH, IND, OMA, BNA and RHI all remain as 2x/day RJ, it looks like GRR ends in April. This leaves three lines of RJ flying.

We'll see if these are really the new saleable schedule shortly, or if something else is up.

Looks like MCI-LAX, MCI-SFO, and MCI-SEA are all missing too.

I think most of us knew this was coming.

The MKE cuts are hardly surprising. For BOS and PHL, the planned schedules for spring were questionable at best. It was better for Frontier to simply throw in the towel on these routes. I suspect that once the situation with RHI gets worked out the remaing regional jets will be parked resulting in the elimination of IND, CMH, BNA, and OMA as well.

I guess this probably means DCA and LGA are in danger of being cut, especially with Delta coming into the New York market this summer.

By my count, this leaves Frontier with 18 flights in MKE. Park the regional jets and that number falls below 10. Over the last three years the MKE operation has gone from 90 flights down to possibly less than 10. An amazing turn of events.

It will be interesting to see if American or U.S. Airways backfill any of these cuts with increased frequency or the use of larger aircrfat.

The airline wars in MKE are finally over. Let's see what Southwest decides to do in the market.

Frontier's interest in MCI seems to be wanning as well. It looks like the West Coast flying is shifting to the newest focus city in COS.

newsmanhoss Feb 9, 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000 (Post 17980820)
By my count, this leaves Frontier with 18 flights in MKE. Park the regional jets and that number falls below 10. Over the last three years the MKE operation has gone from 90 flights down to possibly less than 10. An amazing turn of events.

That's too bad. An 80% loss of flights.

At MKE, F9 has gates D27-D51 and D53-D55 (according to the airport website). So many gates for that number of flights. It's really unfortunate. I wonder if part of the D concourse will have to be mothballed.

mke9499 Feb 9, 2012 8:41 am

A message is displayed today on Frontier's website over the normal link to "view schedules":

Check back on Friday, Feb. 10 to view an updated schedule.
Official press release on additions, but no mention of dropped service, yet.

mke9499 Feb 9, 2012 2:05 pm

Story to be reported this afternoon on WTMJ Radio. So much for the announcement coming first from Frontier.

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/listen

This was the lead story on the news, along with an earlier taped interview with consultant Michael Boyd. Reporter said that "sources" told WTMJ News... it's funny that the information is almost verbatim from this board.

tvnwz Feb 9, 2012 4:13 pm

The newscast I heard on TMJ was quoting the flight attendant union saying it had been notified of the cuts.

davywavy Feb 9, 2012 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499 (Post 17984383)
So much for the announcement coming first from Frontier.

In this day and age - and internet and whistle blowers and just plain old gossip - I don't know how the story could possibly come from Frontier first.

I was quite shocked to see all the new service listed on airliners.net many hours before Frontier had said a word.

davy

newsmanhoss Feb 9, 2012 8:46 pm

And, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel picks up the story:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wiscons...139067274.html

mke9499 Feb 9, 2012 9:17 pm

From WTMJ Radio:

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/139058794.htm

These service reductions are not easy for any of us, as they affect some of our team members; however, they are fundamental and necessary changes for Frontier, which will enable significant profitability improvements and generate greater job opportunities and security for the majority of our 5,000 employees.
I presume that the "team members" who are affected by the service reductions are at MKE, and the ones with "greater job opportunities" are at DEN.

cwe84 Feb 9, 2012 9:53 pm

We were informed today the MKE and GRR E135/45, MKE E190 and DEN Q400 Bases will all close May 1st.

WIRunner Feb 9, 2012 10:44 pm

Quite a shame. Frontier always made a nice backup. It really is unlikely that F9 will increase their frequencies in the future to the levels that they were. Then again, pricing may stabilise and th

I really hope that the legacy carriers up their lift. I can wish that DL would move out of E in favour of D, never going to happen, and that *A would move to E.

mke9499 Feb 9, 2012 10:47 pm

A post on airliners.net says that Best Care Club at MKE closes 05/31/2012.

How much longer will it be until F9 moves from D Concourse at MKE?