Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[My Midwest] Inflight magazine

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

[My Midwest] Inflight magazine

It seems that My Midwest has gone off into the Wild Blue Yonder.

May/June appears to have been the last edition of My Midwest, the YX inflight magazine for the past years. So far this month it has been WBY on the A319 and E190, though I thought perhaps those aircraft rotated in from F9 duty. But today's ERJ flight settled it.

Trivia fact...for the first several years of Midwest's life, they did not have an inflight magazine. Instead the seatback pocket contained the current edition of Milwaukee Magazine. I don't recall exactly when they started having their own magazine, but I think it was the early or mid '90's.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm Reason: Title amended to indicate which publication is being referenced
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Trivia fact...for the first several years of Midwest's life, they did not have an inflight magazine. Instead the seatback pocket contained the current edition of Milwaukee Magazine. I don't recall exactly when they started having their own magazine, but I think it was the early or mid '90's.
Perhaps, Blue might have the answer. BTW, what was the magazine called before it became "My Midwest"?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSVP
Perhaps, Blue might have the answer. BTW, what was the magazine called before it became "My Midwest"?
I think it was simply "Midwest Airlines" magazine, and prior to that "Midwest Express" magazine. I used to have a fair number of editions saved but I think I pitched many or most of them a few years ago when cleaning stuff out.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by RSVP
I believe the first issue was published in 1995.

As knope mentioned, the original name was "Midwest Express Magazine" which became "Midwest Airlines Magazine" in 2003 and was later re-branded as "My Midwest Magazine" in 2007.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:34 am

I remember "My Midwest" coming to light shortly after the takeover attempt was announced. Not sure if that was coincidental or planned.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
I believe the first issue was published in 1995.
That matches the first mainline flights which did not at least originate or pass through Milwaukee (OMA-LAX, OMA-DCA and OMA-EWR) so that makes sense. Prior to that, every mainline flight was to/from MKE or at least was a thru flight to/from MKE (such as the early MKE-MCI-LAX when the M88 first came).

Before that there *were* Skyway flights (back when Skyway was operated by Mesa) which did not touch Milwaukee, such as CMH-BWI. Probably odd to see Milwaukee Magazine on a flight like that.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
That matches the first mainline flights which did not at least originate or pass through Milwaukee (OMA-LAX, OMA-DCA and OMA-EWR) so that makes sense. Prior to that, every mainline flight was to/from MKE or at least was a thru flight to/from MKE (such as the early MKE-MCI-LAX when the M88 first came).

Before that there *were* Skyway flights (back when Skyway was operated by Mesa) which did not touch Milwaukee, such as CMH-BWI. Probably odd to see Milwaukee Magazine on a flight like that.
I think LGA-BOS was another early non-MKE flight ... not sure if it started before or after the OMA flights.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I think LGA-BOS was another early non-MKE flight ... not sure if it started before or after the OMA flights.
When they started LaGuardia in October 1986 they didn't have the 5th aircraft ready, so for the first month they flew each weekday MKE-LGA-BOS-MKE and MKE-BOS-LGA-MKE. The only ran a month.

Later, in their first attempt at Saturday service (for the first years years they had zere Saturday flights), they flew once per week MKE-LGA-BOS-MKE each Saturday for awhile. That didn't run terribly long.

I doubt many people flew locally between LGA and BOS, especially because there were always two airlines with hourly service, but I'm sure *somebody* did.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:06 am
Original Poster

When they started LaGuardia in October 1986 they didn't have the 5th aircraft ready, so for the first month they flew each weekday MKE-LGA-BOS-MKE and MKE-BOS-LGA-MKE. The only ran a month.

Later, in their first attempt at Saturday service (for the first years years they had zere Saturday flights), they flew once per week MKE-LGA-BOS-MKE each Saturday for awhile. That didn't run terribly long.

I doubt many people flew locally between LGA and BOS, especially because there were always two airlines with hourly service, but I'm sure *somebody* did.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Cr*p ... I meant MCI-BOS not LGA-BOS.
I definitely remember taking MCI-BOS somewhere in 1995/1996
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:15 pm

Cr*p ... I meant MCI-BOS not LGA-BOS.
I definitely remember taking MCI-BOS somewhere in 1995/1996
You're right. Midwest first launched MCI-BOS service in September 1996. Service was suspended in spring 2003 but reinstated several years later.

I believe the original routing for one of the flights was OMA-MCI-BOS-MCI-OMA.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

You're right. Midwest first launched MCI-BOS service in September 1996. Service was suspended in spring 2003 but reinstated several years later.

I believe the original routing for one of the flights was OMA-MCI-BOS-MCI-OMA.
Yup, when the Omaha expansion came in 1995, a single aicraft did OMA-DCA-OMA, then sat fot about three hours, and did OMA-DCA-OMA again.

When they added MCI-BOS in 1996 (or 1997?) they used the idle time of that Omaha-Washington aircraft to go to Kansas City, connecting both routes together.

OMA-DCA-OMA-MCI-BOS-MCI
MCI-BOS-MCI-OMA-DCA-OMA

So Omaha had a one-stop flight to Boston via MCI, and Kansas City had a one-stop flight to Washington via OMA. There wasn't a ton of traffic OMA-BOS or MCI-DCA, but some.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:13 pm

Yup, when the Omaha expansion came in 1995.
I thought OMA service commenced in May 1994 with flights to EWR, MKE, and LAX. DCA service was added several months later (July?)

Am I off on the timing?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

I thought OMA service commenced in May 1994 with flights to EWR, MKE, and LAX. DCA service was added several months later (July?)

Am I off on the timing?
Duh...brain cramp on my part...it was 1994 and not 1995. You're right on the months. OMA started in May with LAX, MKE and EWR, and OMA-DCA flights came in July.

DCA-OMA-MCI-BOS and the reverse came in September 1996 through May of 1999.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
Checked their website (mymidwestmagazine.com) and they don't say one way or another whether that was the final issue, but most of the YX info on that website is outdated (2009 or earlier?). Nothing on there about F9. I always enjoyed reading the complimentary letters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.