WN Buying Frontier

Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:28 am
Original Poster

WN Buying Frontier

With Frontier having Airbus 320 /319 Aircraft tv onboard and assigned seating why not make SW have Assigned seating and possibly add tv on its aircraft? There are many differences between the two airline and I am surprised JetBlue did not go after Frontier as they operate the same planes and have the same types of service?

It seems like WN and Frontier do not have the same policies. Could WN operate Airbus planes and purchase them for their current operations? Would they have to train their current 737 pilots to fly Airbus as well?

Would the buying of Frontier mean that their international flights on WN would expand or would WN go ahead and cancel the flight to Mexico? Is Hawaii just around the corner if WN goes for 737-800 or Airbus ETOPS aircraft?

How about Europe?

These questions have been looming in my mind ever since the talks started I want to hear your opinions.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:21 pm

Most analysts agree that Southwest has no intention of operating Frontier and/or its equipment, and Southwest acknowledges that. Southwest is doing poorly in Denver so this is an attempt to eliminate the competition. With Frontier out of the way, Southwest would be one of the dominant carriers in Denver.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by azstar
Most analysts agree that Southwest has no intention of operating Frontier and/or its equipment, and Southwest acknowledges that. Southwest is doing poorly in Denver so this is an attempt to eliminate the competition. With Frontier out of the way, Southwest would be one of the dominant carriers in Denver.
Is openly buying a competitor for the express purpose of eliminating it (and associated jobs) legal/allowed? Not sure which regulatory agencies would be involved, but that smacks of predatory behavior.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
I think that is, more or less, how Pfizer has operated for years. In all my time in that industry I have never heard of them doing anything other than a Chainsaw Al deal (save certain aspects of Wyeth).

I am really interested to see how this works - common practice has been to take on the airframes and integrate businesses, which in the NW/DL debacle we can see a great example of FAIL. Maybe this will, at least partially, change the way airline management sees the target carrier.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Is openly buying a competitor for the express purpose of eliminating it (and associated jobs) legal/allowed? Not sure which regulatory agencies would be involved, but that smacks of predatory behavior.
Have you read any reports about bank mergers and acquisitions in oh, say, the last 30 years?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.