FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns (Pre-Alignment) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-earlyreturns-pre-alignment-491/)
-   -   Vague email from frontier CEO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-earlyreturns-pre-alignment/855157-vague-email-frontier-ceo.html)

nabeckman Aug 13, 2008 10:26 am

Vague email from frontier CEO

I just got a rather vague mass email from the CEO of Frontier that they have to make extreme cutbacks. Non profit making things were mentioned, but I can't find it saying that no frequent flyer miles can be used.

Thoughts?

GreatChecko Aug 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Would it be possible to post the text of the email?

n7371f Aug 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Dear Valued Customer,

Let me start by thanking you for your continued support of Frontier Airlines through the years, particularly during our most recent challenges. We know that the type of loyalty you have shown our company is very rare in the airline industry, and I assure you that we never take it for granted. Our employees come to work each day with the goal of running a safe, efficient and customer-friendly airline for you.

We also know that you have come to expect a little more from us over the years than you do from some of the other airlines. The phrase “A whole different animal” isn’t just a catchy slogan; it’s the mantra by which we do business. And that is what makes some of our most recent decisions to change our fees and policies so difficult. We know it’s not what you expect from Frontier Airlines. And I assure you, these are not changes that we want to implement. However, given the current environment in which we operate, these changes are absolutely necessary to ensure the long-term health and longevity of our airline. I’m sure you have all heard how the historic increase in the price of oil is hurting the airline industry, but I cannot emphasize enough how it has reshaped everything we do as a company. The old way of doing things is simply not a sustainable option for any airline when oil prices are over $100 a barrel. It has come down to a matter of survival for every airline, including Frontier. We are forced to look over every aspect of our operation in an effort to cover our costs.

In addition, I want you to know that we are doing everything possible to make sure our own house is in order above and beyond these new fees. We are aggressively managing our cost structure, cutting all possible inefficiencies. We have restructured our route system to eliminate non-profitable flying, and each and every employee in the company has made a personal sacrifice with wage and benefit concessions in an effort to minimize the impact of our current economic conditions on our customers.

In conclusion, I am asking for your continued support during these unprecedented times. While some of the changes we are implementing are unpleasant, I assure you that the people of Frontier Airlines are as committed to you as ever. Our employees will make sure you have a safe, enjoyable trip every time you fly. We look forward to seeing you in the skies again soon.

Sincerely,

Sean Menke
President and CEO, Frontier Airlines

Dole Aug 13, 2008 6:44 pm

I got the same email and was a bit confused. I was receiving messages like this from the legacy carriers as oil was racing up the charts, but now that oil is temporarily lower Frontier suddenly decides to send a message like this?

nabeckman Aug 13, 2008 8:27 pm

sorry for the delay i had to wait until I got home to access my deleted items folder. It's SUCH a wierd email. Part of me thinks its referring to the flights and routs they canceled.

German Expat Aug 13, 2008 8:38 pm

I also found it strange. Does he reference to the changes they already made (routes, change fees, luggage etc.) or is there something new coming ?
Nothing concrete in it and also a strange time to send it out with oil going back in pricing and talk about exit financing available.

airplanegeek Aug 13, 2008 10:01 pm

the timing and content of the email confused me too. what are you not saying menke?! my assumption is that several ER members voiced their concerns about changes and this is a blanket reply.

http://www.frontierairlines.com/fron...update-faqs.do

GreatChecko Aug 14, 2008 12:26 am

Thanks for the text!

Seeing Menke refers to "recent changes" I'm thinking this is an after-the-fact apology.

He's been quite busy in the past few months getting the financing in order and doing everything he can to keep the operation going, that it wouldn't surprise me if this is the first time he's had a chance to give any personal attention to these issues.

Hopefully not too many more changes in the future and oil will continue to drop and help keep this great airline around.

Checko

Daze Aug 15, 2008 9:11 am

Originally Posted by GreatChecko (Post 10199435)
Seeing Menke refers to "recent changes" I'm thinking this is an after-the-fact apology.

This was my reaction as well.

F9 is an asset for DEN. When UA had no competition in the 90's fares went through the roof. WN will never fly to the number of destinations that UA and F9 do. I hope F9 can make it.

n7371f Aug 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Well as someone who's a Platinum with NWA and has seen some minimal communication regarding their increased fees - I think this e-mail from Sean Menke is much classier and, more importantly, honest.

Yes he's vague but I don't think he minces words about why Frontier had to increase some charges - our company is in bankruptcy and we're fighting like hell to stay in business. Note the part about every Frontier worker making sacrafices.

Compare his letter to the others I've received from middle-level managers of frequent flier programs saying/lying that these new fees are hopefully temporary. I don't buy that for a minute. So I found the Frontier letter, from the CEO, a bit refreshing.

airplanegeek Aug 19, 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Daze (Post 10206309)
WN will never fly to the number of destinations that UA and F9 do.

never is a strong word. may not serve as many cities as UA does, but F9 is reachable.

FCfree Aug 19, 2008 7:08 pm

I'm confused as to how Frontier can say they are "A Whole Different Animal" when they have added baggage fees, continue to have change fees and have cut way back on snacks and drinks. Seems to me they are just like everybody else.

Southwest is the "Whole Different Animal" without baggage fees, change fees and still serving free snacks and drinks.

petteri Aug 20, 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by FCfree (Post 10228757)
I'm confused as to how Frontier can say they are "A Whole Different Animal" when they have added baggage fees, continue to have change fees and have cut way back on snacks and drinks. Seems to me they are just like everybody else.

Southwest is the "Whole Different Animal" without baggage fees, change fees and still serving free snacks and drinks.

How does this relate to the topic of this thread? :confused:

CLG Aug 21, 2008 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by petteri (Post 10235107)
How does this relate to the topic of this thread? :confused:

It seems to me to be talking about the effects of the new / increased fees. Doesn't feel out of place...

CLG