Wiki Posts
Search

Should I book BNA-DEN for August?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Should I book BNA-DEN for August?

I'm trying to book some award travel 8.24.08-8.29.08, and due to my various loyalty programs would prefer WN or F9...I'm going to a convention and my dates back up against the Labor Day weekend, so many freebies are blacked out, including Amex PLAT BOGO program. I checked WN and for some reason neither my depart/return dates are available, nor are any of the preceding or succeeding dates.

So. It looks like I can transfer 1:1 into F9 from Amex MR - the question is, should I? I'm not yet a Frontier Frequent Flier, but apparently their blackout date for Labor Day is 9.1, not 8.29.

Do we think bankruptcy proceedings might cause an issue - and am I going to be stuck re-booking somewhere else last minute at hugely inflated prices? Is there some other issue I'm not considering? Thanks for any thoughts.

(Just looked at DL also and sheez - I have to fly through Atlanta to get from Nashville to Denver. )

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Apr 21, 2008 at 2:13 pm
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
Flights on F9

Nobody is expecting a sudden liquidation of F9 unlike ATA, Aloha, ect. F9's bankruptcy was basically retaliation for First Data changing the way they processed credit card charges. First Data didn't want to pay F9 until you, the customer, took the flight. This was done with no advance warning. Can you understand how this would put strain on airline operations because most pax buy flights months in advance? F9 was fortunate to own a number of planes so they are able to keep flying and financing even though they are in bankruptcy. I haven't heard of any labor issues in the papers. They are likely to dump their proposed maintenance hanger in COS which it didn't make much sense to me as they don't fly A319 or A318 to COS. To my mind, this meant largely preventative maintenance would only occur in COS. A severe breakdown would ground the plane in DEN and those are the most costly repairs. I expect F9 to come out next year and possibly have enough savings to become fuel traders like WN which is how WN makes all their money anyways.
I agree on DL by the way. Delta Blows.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:09 pm

I agree with what has been said above. I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the company were to go away, it probably won't be until next year at some point when the cash runs out.

As for labor issues, there aren't any. If anything the bankruptcy has enboldened the employees to do their jobs even better.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
I'm trying to book some award travel 8.24.08-8.29.08, and due to my various loyalty programs would prefer WN or F9...I'm going to a convention and my dates back up against the Labor Day weekend, so many freebies are blacked out, including Amex PLAT BOGO program. I checked WN and for some reason neither my depart/return dates are available, nor are any of the preceding or succeeding dates.

So. It looks like I can transfer 1:1 into F9 from Amex MR - the question is, should I? I'm not yet a Frontier Frequent Flier, but apparently their blackout date for Labor Day is 9.1, not 8.29.

Do we think bankruptcy proceedings might cause an issue - and am I going to be stuck re-booking somewhere else last minute at hugely inflated prices? Is there some other issue I'm not considering? Thanks for any thoughts.

(Just looked at DL also and sheez - I have to fly through Atlanta to get from Nashville to Denver. )
Whether you decide to book on WN or F9, I would do it soon! Those dates are the days immediately before and after the Democratic National Convention in downtown Denver. Before you transfer from Amex MR, I would make sure there is award travel availability on 8.24 and 8.29 on F9 since their award restrictions are similar to WN.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Ditto and Ditto. I don't think F9 is going anywhere anytime soon.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

BNA, I'm busted! I'm going to the DNC convention, which is why I need those dates. And the shite thing is, nearly every airline's got the 29th blacked out - the day after the nominated candidate gives his - or her - big speech...so you don't want to leave early to avoid the blackouts.

Guess I'll go ahead and book that Frontier roundtrip. Thanks much all!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Don't know why I am unable to edit posts all of a sudden, but just hit a speedbump. I went ahead and joined Frontier's FF program, trying to find out whether a reward trip exists for my dates before I transfer over miles - and ran into this message:

You do not have enough frequent flyer miles to book this itinerary.
Do they not realize many people will want to do exactly this: view an itinerary before they transfer miles from elsewhere? I really don't feel like transferring over miles I may or may not be able to use just to see whether I can book something with them. According to Expertflyer there are some awards available for my dates, but no info as to how many miles they cost.

Here's hoping if I call them tomorrow I can find a CS agent that can answer my question. Or if any of you folks who have miles feel like logging in over there and digging this up for me, I'm looking to fly BNA-DEN August 24 with a return August 29. Not picky on times if it's an award ticket, but would love to avoid the 6 AM run if possible.

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Apr 23, 2008 at 11:07 pm
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:26 am

Looks like there are award seats available. You can see them under booking code 's' on seat counter.

I'd be more worried about a hotel around here than a flight. Good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
I'm looking to fly BNA-DEN August 24 with a return August 29. Not picky on times if it's an award ticket, but would love to avoid the 6 AM run if possible.
This is all that is coming up for me under 15K miles. I believe you can only use the 30K redemptions with status.

Code:
Departure Flight Options
Nashville , TN , US  To  Denver , CO , US   Sunday, 24 August 08
Depart:		Sunday, 24 August 08			Frontier Airlines
05:39 PM	Nashville , TN , US (BNA)		Non-Stop / F9235
Arrive:		Sunday, 24 August 08			Airbus A319
07:25 PM	Denver , CO , US (DEN)

Return Flight Options
Denver , CO , US  To  Nashville , TN , US   Friday, 29 August 08
Depart:		Friday, 29 August 08			Frontier Airlines
06:50 PM	Denver , CO , US (DEN)			Non-Stop / F9237
Arrive:		Friday, 29 August 08			Airbus A319
10:20 PM	Nashville , TN , US (BNA)

08:35 PM	Denver , CO , US (DEN)			Non-Stop / F9230
Arrive:		Saturday, 30 August 08			Airbus A319
12:08 AM	Nashville , TN , US (BNA)
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

THANK YOU! Flyertalkers are the best. Sincerely.

(I do kind of wonder what's up with F9 not letting folks see awards, though...You don't have to even log in to DL or AA to see whether award tickets are available and at what mileage price points...)
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by JaggedMind
This is all that is coming up for me under 15K miles. I believe you can only use the 30K redemptions with status.

Code:
Departure Flight Options
Nashville , TN , US  To  Denver , CO , US   Sunday, 24 August 08
Depart:		Sunday, 24 August 08			Frontier Airlines
05:39 PM	Nashville , TN , US (BNA)		Non-Stop / F9235
Arrive:		Sunday, 24 August 08			Airbus A319
07:25 PM	Denver , CO , US (DEN)

Return Flight Options
Denver , CO , US  To  Nashville , TN , US   Friday, 29 August 08
06:50 PM	Denver , CO , US (DEN)			Non-Stop / F9237
Arrive:		Friday, 29 August 08			Airbus A319
10:20 PM	Nashville , TN , US (BNA)

08:35 PM	Denver , CO , US (DEN)			Non-Stop / F9230
Arrive:		Saturday, 30 August 08			Airbus A319
12:08 AM	Nashville , TN , US (BNA)
With 30K miles you have a choice of 4 flights going and 4 flights returning. I just flew BNA-DEN-LAX and I think that is the full schedule.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:10 am

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by chipworkz
With 30K miles you have a choice of 4 flights going and 4 flights returning. I just flew BNA-DEN-LAX and I think that is the full schedule.
Found the statement on Frontier's website covering this:

However, EarlyReturns® Plus "any available seat" travel awards aren't subject to capacity controls and are available only to Ascent and Summit members for 30,000 miles when traveling within the contiguous U.S. or between the contiguous U.S. and Canada.
I believe divemistressofthedark does not have any status with F9. And I don't recall anyway to get instant Ascent. Even using the credit card requires $60K of use and a year.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Update...

I called Frontier, told 'em my quandary, and they were able to put the reward reservations on hold for me until the Amex points come over!! Wow. Sounds like they do this kind of thing all the time. Was able to book the outbound and one of the returns Jagged posted.

Thanks again, very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.