Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Free Travel Contests and Sweepstakes
Reload this Page >

Who has won anything from FT contests? A show of hands please.

Who has won anything from FT contests? A show of hands please.

Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Congrats!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ckidder331
I won an iPad Mini!! There was a grand prize trip to the Bahamas and iPad Mini's for 2nd prize - woohoo!!

WHITAKER HOUSE - WIN A FREE TRIP FOR 2 TO THE BAHAMAS

* 5-day trip for 2 to Grand Bahama Island, incl coach airfare within the continental U.S., hotel (Grand Lucayan Resort), airport transfers, and daily breakfasts. Value not listed.

http://www.characterinleadership.com/
Congrats! I posted that sweeps in Feb & it just ended middle of June. Trip would have been great but iPad mini nothing to sneeze at!

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: United (Silver), Marriott (Silver), Starwood
Kraft Brad Paisley Cheeseburger Sweepstakes: Won 2 Concert Tickets!

I received (my very first) phone call from a sweepstakes agency last week and called back immediately. I won second prize - two tickets to a Brad Paisley concert! So exciting! Concert tickets to one of my favorite performers for a sweepstakes I've been entering daily for months - woo hoo!

Two caveats: The rules state that second prize is an autographed guitar, but it sounds like they switched the prize to concert tickets (fine by me). Sadly, the tickets are for his performance in Syracuse, NY which won't be a doable destination for me. No switches as according to the agency, they are drawing for tickets for each city of his tour in order of concert date so your win is only good for the city currently being drawn. I'm not sure whether the drawing defaults you to the concert venue closest to your residence or whether I stupidly selected Syracuse (not sure why I would do that), but at any rate, I'm still very excited to have won in a national sweepstakes and plan to either give the tickets to friends in Syracuse or sell them.

Thank you, SkiAdcock, for posting this sweepstakes! I am so pumped!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:10 pm

Congrats! I've been entering that sweeps too. Glad a FTer won.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:28 am

I won the Warheads Six Flags Getaway!

3-day trip for 4 to the Six Flags theme park of your choice by Dec. 31, '14, incl coach airfare (or ground transportation if within 150 miles), hotel (one room), single day admission tickets to the park, one THE FLASH Pass for four, a family meal deal, souvenir sports bottles, a souvenir park photo, midway game vouchers, and $250 spending money. Value $4,162
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:11 pm

Congrats!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Ms EkekoBWI and I have been on a winning streak lately:

Corona/Safeway: Cooler full of beer + $100

Staples: 2x Katy Perry concert tickets (entries c/o VGCs bought with Ink Bold, of course)
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
in 1999, I won a weekend trip for two to Pittsburgh to visit the Andy Warhol museum. Travel had to be completed by the end of the year. I already had plans to depart two weeks later to Chile where I would through the rest of the year. I didn't have enough time to redeem the prize. I entered the drawing by submitting my name on a piece of paper and putting it into a massive fish bowl.

I still enter the online contests, hoping to win something like that again. I travel quite a bit for work, but would still enjoy winning a trip again.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:14 am

For all those that have won major prizes ($2k+), are you taxed on the value of the winnings?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RyanEscoot6
For all those that have won major prizes ($2k+), are you taxed on the value of the winnings?
Yes, you owe taxes to the IRS.

Patrick
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by RyanEscoot6
Yes. And in case you might be tempted to "forget" to report the win on your tax return, most sponsors will send a 1099 to the IRS for any win over $600.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
But of course the IRS wants its share
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, EVA
Taxed on winnings? Of course!

And (depending on the timing) you'd better be prepared to pony up if you get a really big prize like a car or house. That's why they often include a cash component, and also why folks decline their winnings. Always check the rules page for details.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:20 am

The IRS doesn't deserve my money, but they take it anyways. Spending is out of control, they cannot even do basic math.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Haven't had much time to sweep in 2014 (sorry for the limited activity here), but I did manage to get some runner-up prizes in two contests posted here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/free-...1-void-pr.html

got me a case of 24 bottles of Fiji Water, and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/free-...1-void-pr.html

got me a pretty sweet "home margarita kit", including a Cuisinart juicer. Of course, I would have preferred the grand prizes (especially the trip to Fiji!), but I'll take what I can get

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.