Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:33 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Thanks both!

Yes, I've also located at the map the nearest Nicolas to my hotel
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I would find the nearest Nicolas and buy from there. Most of us do that. I find mine to be knowledgeable and very helpful.
Excellent advice. Nicolas is the best place to go and there are some everywhere in Paris.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
A couple other recommendations:

1. If you like Malbec, then try wines from Cahors. This is the place in France that has been traditionally centered on the Malbec grape.
2. When looking at Merlots, as was recommend, you can find some great wines from the St Emilion region of Bordeaux. Look for wines from the 2010 vintage, this is one of the greatest vintages in history and even wines at the lower price range are fantastic. Also 2009 is excellent. Avoid Bordeaux from 2013 at all costs. I would take a 15 Euro 2010 St Emilion over a 60 Euro 2013 any day.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by oenophilist
A couple other recommendations:

1. If you like Malbec, then try wines from Cahors. This is the place in France that has been traditionally centered on the Malbec grape.
But for Cahors wine, you really need to take some expensive ones which are indeed excellent. The cheap ones are absolutely horrible.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Villavic
Yes, I've also located at the map the nearest Nicolas to my hotel
If you're looking for a very specific bottle (that isn't too exotic) you can head to the big supermarkets as well. Carrefour, Intermarch, Auchan, etc... (the big supermarkets) have usually a considerable range of wine and bubbly to choose from...

I usually check beforehand via their websites...

Originally Posted by Goldorak
But for Cahors wine, you really need to take some expensive ones which are indeed excellent. The cheap ones are absolutely horrible.
Indeed. The cheap Cahors are often barely good enough to make gravy with them.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: CX SL
I would recommend to avoid Nicolas at all cost : overpriced, average selection, bad service. A good summary here (in french).
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by maxlmn
I would recommend to avoid Nicolas at all cost : overpriced, average selection, bad service. A good summary here (in french).
That might be reasonable for a French person looking to buy a serious bottle. but for a foreigner seeking a pleasant French wine that is unavailable "back home", I would recommend Nicolas. The staff are helpful, they understand the products that they are selling, and they usually have a good command of English and use that skill with some wit which may be lost on foreigners.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
lhgreengrd1, gave a good summery.

I would find the nearest Nicolas and buy from there. Most of us do that. I find mine to be knowledgeable and very helpful.
I've had good experiences with Nicolas. They're all over Paris and I've always received good advice in English or French.

Note that different Nicolas stores can have very different opening hours, so be sure to check the specifics for the location you plan to try. It probably doesn't matter to you, but some are small neighborhood places while others are much larger.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

There are so many Nicolas shops in France that of course some are better than others, but I never had a bad experience with them. I had in 99% of time some very courteous and professional people. And overpriced , I really don't think so, sincerely. So your statement to avoid them "at all cost" is just ridiculous.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
For a tourist it isn't easy to find a caviste, easier to go to Nicolas. I have a caviste for special orders but go to my local Nicolas for my every day wines. And their prices are very reasonable.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:00 pm

Vast over-generalization on a thread recommending buying wine at supermarkets.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I would recommend to avoid Nicolas at all cost
Not everybody has the time to look for the right wine merchant or even drive to the property where the wine is made. Given that, Nicolas is a pretty good choice if you're looking to buy wine, but have no specific bottle in mind.

Many points, addressed in the review, apply to big supermarkets as well. Some Carrefours only have mediocre selection as well.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I personally rarely shop at Nicolas, but it is just fine for the tourist looking for a selection of decent French wines at reasonable prices. Supermarkets have fine selections too. It would be different if I were recommending stores to a wine geek. In that case, I would stay away from Nicolas and recommend a plethora of other options. But there is nothing wrong with Nicolas or supermarkets for that matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.