Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage @ Gare du Nord (& on Thalys???)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2001, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Luggage @ Gare du Nord (& on Thalys???)

I have a flight out of BRU this week and won't be coming back to Europe for a year. I really want to have a day in Paris since I haven't had a chance to go there since 05/00.

The only difficulty I can forsee is with luggage:

1. I arrive at Gare de l'Est in the morning and leave from Gare du Nord at night. On the map they seem very close to one another - is there any direct passage between them? If I need to take the metro, is it going to be a pain with two suitcases? Any other (inexpensive) alternative?

2. Are there lockers at Gare du Nord large enough to hold two large suitcases (about 10" x 3' x 5')?

3. I have (somewhere) a printed Thalys "Guide du Voyager" that says luggage can be checked between Paris and Brussels. Their website says nothing about this (I opened just about every page looking for it). Has the luggage option been discontinued? If it's available, can I check in the bags in Paris in the morning and pick them up at Brussels either late at night or early the next morning? Is the service reliable?

Yonatan
Old Jul 29, 2001, 5:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yonatan:
1. How do I get from Gare de l'Est to Gare du Nord?</font>
The metro is "only" 1 stop away, but it would be ugly with luggage: lots of steps, doors can be a pain, etc. A taxi would be the easiest -- they're relatively inexpensive in Paris, though it would still be about US$10 because of luggage surcharges. Consider taking the bus: you use the same tickets as the subway, and it's much easier to reach the bus stop than the train platform (although the bus doors are narrow). There are 4 or 5 buses that go between the two stations, including 47, 65, and 350. (350 might be the easiest, because it originates at Gare de l'Est.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
2. Are there lockers at Gare du Nord large enough to hold two large suitcases (about 10" x 3' x 5')?
</font>
Unless the system has changed in the past few years, you check your luggage with a (more or less) human at the Gare du Nord. No coin-operated lockers.

[This message has been edited by wideman (edited 10-20-2002).]
Old Jul 29, 2001, 5:37 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wideman:
Consider taking the bus: you use the same tickets as the subway, and it's much easier to reach the bus stop than the train platform (although the bus doors are narrow).
</font>
Thanks for the great info - looks like the bus is it. Do they stop right outside the station, or on an "island"?

You said the metro tickets are valid on it. I have a few unused metro singles left over from a carnet of 10 - can I use one of these for the bus ride?

Yonatan

PS Do you know about how much the left luggage service costs at the G. du Nord?

[This message has been edited by yonatan (edited 07-29-2001).]
Old Aug 4, 2001, 9:15 am

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)
As for the bus, I agree that , if you have luggage, it would be the best option. Otherwise, it's probably nomore than 5 minutes walking, and easy to do.

BTW, the 47 ends at Gare de l'Est now, they change it. Take the 38, one every 5 minutes during the day, but you must go outside of the station, and cross the street.

The 350 is an another good option, it is also outside of the station, but you do not need to cross the street. Once every 15 to 20 minutes only.

I do not think you can let the lugage in the station now, that 's something that the SNCF does not do any longer since the bombs of the nineties.
I do not see any solution. You can drop the lugage in the Gared du Nord station when arriving, for having it sent to your lastr destination, but I would not do that beacause:
- You will pay for it,
- You will not get your luggage when arriving, but one day later (!).

Except if the Thalis is workiong diferently from the other trains, this is one of the problem I often have now: no way to let my bags somewhere during the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.