Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Do I need a transit visa?Airport change: CDG to ORY-JFK flying in from Nigeria.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skyward

I will be flying into CDG from LOS(Lagos) and I will change airport from CDG to Orly (ORY) onward to JFK my problem is that I was told Nigerian citizen do not need a transit visa to change airport from CDG to ORY that a valid U.S visa is enough for me to leave the International airport zone and find my way to ORY for my flight to JFK.
I will be in CDG on 14th of Jan... How do I get to ORY? Hope I won't have any problem with customs and immigration in CDG?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You need a visa to transit in France (CDG to ORY).

I will be in CDG on 14th of Jan
Without the Schengen (transit) visa you won't be allowed to board the LOS-CDG flight, hence, you won't be in CDG on Jan 14.
The airport staff at LOS will know the rules.

The visa exception does not apply to a landside transfer between CDG and ORY.

This is from Timatic:
Transiting without a visa is possible for:

Holders of onward tickets in transit provided holding a valid visa issued by Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland (Rep.), Japan, Romania, USA or United Kingdom, traveling to any non-Schengen Member State; or
- returning from Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland (Rep.), Japan, Romania, USA or United Kingdom after having used the visa:

applicable to nationals of Nigeria .

A max. transit time of 24 hours through Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG).

A max. transit time of 24 hours through Nice (NCE). TWOV is not possible if transferring between Nice (NCE) terminals 1 and 2.

A max. transit time of 24 hours through Toulouse (TLS), if passenger's baggage is through checked to final destination.

A max. transit time of 24 hours through Marseille (MRS). Inbound carrier must provide prior notice to authorities.

On the same calendar day between 06:00 and 23:30 through Paris Orly (ORY). TWOV is not possible if transferring between ORY South and West terminals.

A max. transit time of 3 hours through Lyon (LYS). TWOV is not possible if transferring between Lyon (LYS) terminals 1, 2 and 3.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by warakorn
hence, you won't be in CDG on Jan 14.
I guess this will be the case. Doubt you have any chance to reach the US as I doubt you are able to get a transit visa in under 1 week. Only chance could be another flight
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:15 am
Suspended

Or trying to convince (or pay) Air France to rebook you from the ORY-JFK to the CDG-JFK flight.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I saw this on a french site...

As a foreign national, you do not enter the Schengen Area. In principle, you are not subject to entry visa requirements, with some exceptions. Certain nationalities are subject to visa requirements to transit through an airport in France (Airport Transit Visa or ATV).
French regulations divide the foreign nationals requiring an ATV into two groups, for whom different exemptions may apply.
First group
Nationals of the following states: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iraq, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka;
Persons who are not nationals of the above countries but are holders of travel documents issued by the authorities of one of these countries;
Statutory refugees from these countries;
Holders of Palestinian refugee travel documents.
Exempt from Airport Transit Visa
Exempted by France from ATV are :
aircrew members, nationals of a state party to the Chicago Convention ;
holders of diplomatic passports ;
holders of a valid residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area ;
holders of a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Canada, Japan, Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino, or the United States, that guarantees unrestricted right of return ;
holders of a visa valid for a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area, Canada, Japan or the United States ;
Members of the family of a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland ;
Holders of a valid uniform visa, national long-stay visa or residence permit issued by a Schengen state.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this is not s trip report I shall move it over to the France forum.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

If you want to transfer from CDG to ORY, you must enter the Schengen area. There is no other options.

The sites you are quoting from are talking about an airport transfer, where there is dedicated non-Schengen transfer zone, where do not have to pass immigration. However, such a transfer zone only exists within one airport - not between two airports.

My recommendations: contact you airline and try get a rebooking to CDG-JFK.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by seyewest
I saw this on a french site...

As a foreign national, you do not enter the Schengen Area...

This is only the case, when you are transferring airside (i.e. staying within the international part of the terminal). Charles de Gaulle is 43 km from Orly and you have to cross all of Paris to get there.

In other words:
  • You'll need to enter France
  • Get all of your stuff
  • Board a bus, train, taxi and head to Orly
  • Drop your bags off
  • Exit France
  • Wait for the flight and board the aircraft

The chances of getting a Schengen visa 6 days ahead of travel are pretty slim.

BTW The text on the official website you should've been looking for is below the one you quoted.

Source:http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/com...a-do-i-need-to

If you are transiting through an airport in France to travel to an airport outside the Schengen Area and you need to leave the International Zone of the French airport

You may need to leave the International Zone :
- because you need to change airports in Paris (e.g. Roissy-CDG to Orly) ;
- or because your connecting flight does not leave on the same day and you need to spend the night in a hotel outside the International Zone ;
- or because you are transiting through an airport in France to travel by some other form of transport to another destination.
E.g. : you are arriving at Roissy-CDG to take the Eurostar train to London. You leave the International Zone to travel on to the railway station;
- or for any other reason.
In all these cases, you enter the Schengen Area, and, unless you are exempt from short-stay visa requirements, you must apply in advance for an entry and stay visa in order to transit through France.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
This is only the case, when you are transferring airside (i.e. staying within the international part of the terminal). Charles de Gaulle is 43 km from Orly and you have to cross all of
BTW The text on the official website you should've been looking for is below the one you quoted.

Source:http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/com...a-do-i-need-to
Thank you I'm talking with my booking agent they will work on it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by seyewest
Thank you I'm talking with my booking agent they will work on it.
definitely do this and, as said by other posters, there is a very easy solution to your problem : just connect in CDG, and so fly LOS-CDG-JFK.
I don't know who booked you with a change of airport in Paris while there are plenty of CDG-JFK flights, but that was a big mistake. So even if you have to pay a change fee and a fare difference, that's an easy decision to take if you want to be in the US on your planned date.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
definitely do this and, as said by other posters, there is a very easy solution to your problem : just connect in CDG, and so fly LOS-CDG-JFK.
I don't know who booked you with a change of airport in Paris while there are plenty of CDG-JFK flights, but that was a big mistake. So even if you have to pay a change fee and a fare difference, that's an easy decision to take if you want to be in the US on your planned date.
Thank you and I've done exactly what you've suggested..I'm good to go.
Thank you once again.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:18 pm

Boston to Mumbai (Via Paris)

Hello,

I am coming from the US on a Delta flight. Have my connecting flight on a Saudi flight to Mumbai, India. I have a 3hr layover in CDG. I would be needing to checkout my baggage at the airport and, need to do a check in with Saudi airlines.

Will I be needing a Short stay a visitor Visa for this purpose as generally the Baggage pickup comes after immigration. I am a Indian citizen holding a indian passport. and, a US H1B Visa holder.

In my case I may need to recheck my bags and check in again with the connecting carrier (Saudia airlines). So even with a transit visa can you go through border control (immigration) , pick up baggage and, check in again. This would mean I will have to leave the international area right.

I thought you need a regular visitor visa for this purpose since you are out of the international transit zone. But I am not fully sure about this.

If only a transit visa would do for picking up baggage and doing a check in again, I will not need it right as being citizen of India with an Indian passport we are exempted from having a transit visa.

Can someone please kindly clarify this information.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sriram Seshagiri
If only a transit visa would do for picking up baggage and doing a check in again, I will not need it right as being citizen of India with an Indian passport we are exempted from having a transit visa.
1) Airport transit visas (ATV) are for airside transfers only
2) Airport transit visas are available for nationals of a select number of countries. India is not among them.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
1) Airport transit visas (ATV) are for airside transfers only
2) Airport transit visas are available for nationals of a select number of countries. India is not among them.
I beleive starting Juy 23 2018 India is exempted from ATV. But yeah this is just a Airside transfer cannot be used for landside like you said.

If I apply for Schgnen Visa will I get a double entry Visa for the 1st time itself, considering on my return trip also I may be need to recheck my bags and, check in.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Sriram Seshagiri
I am coming from the US on a Delta flight. Have my connecting flight on a Saudi flight to Mumbai, India. I have a 3hr layover in CDG. I would be needing to checkout my baggage at the airport and, need to do a check in with Saudi airlines.
Just to make sure : is that all on one ticket ? If yes, your bags will be checked through until final destination (no need to collect them in CDG and you should have your SV boarding pass in the US given by DL. If on separate tickets, knowing the hassles it will be for you for the visa, why not booking a single ticket itinerary ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.