Search

Renting a car in France

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Still. Don't forget to take into account parking. That might get tremendously expensive. I would seriously consider using the own car. I've driven cars from the "continent" in the UK and it was a breeze.

BTW: There are Eurostar services that stop at Calais.
I checked Eurostar from ashford to Calais--£200 return!! Lol

I then checked ashford to Brussels--£200 as well for a day return. That's insane.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I checked Eurostar from ashford to Calais--£200 return!! Lol

I then checked ashford to Brussels--£200 as well for a day return. That's insane.
Is the trip imminent? Eurostar prices for yield. And since pax can't get on in Calais, they might as well charge you for the whole trip. Doesn' matter if you're going to the 1st stop or last.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
What you want to do is a bit unusual, and hence a bit awkward - it's just not set up for that - but not impossible. A quick look on Google Maps suggests plenty of car hire agencies nearby, although all would need you to drive a short distance on the French motorway, unless you can persuade the car people to deliver to the terminal.

https://goo.gl/maps/f8RP6ARnVUk

I would expect any of the majors (Hertz, Europcar Avis) to allow you to drive into Belgium. But as ever with car hire, it depends on the rate and insurance details you end up with. If you want to be absolutely sure, you may need to call.

I would also try to get the phone number of the rental location to confirm that they'll let you park there.

Many people are hesitant to drive on the wrong side of the car, but most pick it up very quickly. You'd drive out of the shuttle and almost immediately onto the motorway. I would at least reconsider keeping hold of your UK car. At least it will be a familiar car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.