Reload this Page >

Loire Valley or Burgundy - recommendation & transport

Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson

Hi friends,

I am highly interested in doing a wine region in France for a honeymoon next June 2017. I am currently considering the Liore or Budgundy.

My question is two part:

1. Any experienced travelers to the region have a suggestion on one over the other (or even an alternate region)? I have 4/5 days and was considering stayin in the Tours area for the Liore or in Dijon & Beaune in Burgundy. I'd love to also hear suggestion on activities/vineyards to visit...PLEASE!

2. It looks like train schedules are posted for next summer, but it looks like Tours is about 1.5-2hrs on a train from CDG, and Dijon is over 4hrs...is that accurate? I was hoping to skip renting a car...is this advisable, or should I just rent a car if I am going to be vineyard hopping.

Thanks everyone who can offer help, advice, and suggestions!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
You would not absolutely need to rent a car at either location. You can take the TGV from CDG to either Tours or Dijon. Either destination takes about 2 hours if you select one of the direct trains. For the Loire Valley, I would stay in Tours. purchasing a train ticket for Tours Centre, not St Pierre des Corps. Tours Centre is in the center of town, about a mile from St Pierre des Corps. For a stay in Burgundy either Dijon or Beaune are excellent choices.

I would check train schedules using the SNCF´s website; but the actually timetables are not typically official until 90 days before any given travel date. They sometimes post earlier but not generally 6-7 months earlier unless you are looking at raileurope, a place from which you should rarely purchase tickets.

I don´t know what you expect to find vineyard hopping, but don´t expect easy access to any of the Burgundy vineyards. Strongly consider hiring a professional guide who will make your time much more productive than if you attempt solo visits. You can find a list at the Dijon Office de Tourisme. If you plan on staying in Beaune, I would look at the Beaune Office Tourisme.

The vineyards of the Loire Valley are often family affairs and are not particularly setup for visits, particularly in English. Again I would consult with a private guide or take a tour from the Tours Office de Tourisme. An advantage of the Loire Valley is the area´s rich history and abundance of outstanding ch teaux which add to the area´s interest.

If you do go to the Loire Valley and stay in Tours, I might suggest that you stay in or around the area of Vieux Tours or old Tours. This area has restaurants, cafés and some nightlife. Other areas of Tours are not interesting for tourists.

Staying in Tours, you might consider la Maison Jules, a very comfortable chambre d´hôte located in the center of Tours.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino
You would not absolutely need to rent a car at either location. You can take the TGV from CDG to either Tours or Dijon. Either destination takes about 2 hours if you select one of the direct trains. For the Loire Valley, I would stay in Tours. purchasing a train ticket for Tours Centre, not St Pierre des Corps. Tours Centre is in the center of town, about a mile from St Pierre des Corps. For a stay in Burgundy either Dijon or Beaune are excellent choices.

I would check train schedules using the SNCF´s website; but the actually timetables are not typically official until 90 days before any given travel date. They sometimes post earlier but not generally 6-7 months earlier unless you are looking at raileurope, a place from which you should rarely purchase tickets.

I don´t know what you expect to find vineyard hopping, but don´t expect easy access to any of the Burgundy vineyards. Strongly consider hiring a professional guide who will make your time much more productive than if you attempt solo visits. You can find a list at the Dijon Office de Tourisme. If you plan on staying in Beaune, I would look at the Beaune Office Tourisme.

The vineyards of the Loire Valley are often family affairs and are not particularly setup for visits, particularly in English. Again I would consult with a private guide or take a tour from the Tours Office de Tourisme. An advantage of the Loire Valley is the area´s rich history and abundance of outstanding ch teaux which add to the area´s interest.

If you do go to the Loire Valley and stay in Tours, I might suggest that you stay in or around the area of Vieux Tours or old Tours. This area has restaurants, cafés and some nightlife. Other areas of Tours are not interesting for tourists.

Staying in Tours, you might consider la Maison Jules, a very comfortable chambre d´hôte located in the center of Tours.
Much appreciated.

Regarding visiting vineyards in Burgundy, do you not think this is something I can set up myself and need a profession agent to do?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Note the correct spelling of the Loire.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I live in Burgundy and find visiting the wineries rather easy by car. I don't even use a GPS much as wandering is better. But if you know exactly where you want to go then you could use taxis. And if you are going to drink enough to get tipsy you should use a taxi.

Here is a good place to visit for first timers... https://www.chateaudepommard.com/

And if you search in this forum, you will find several other similar threads with lots of Burgundy suggestions.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
I live in Burgundy and find visiting the wineries rather easy by car. I don't even use a GPS much as wandering is better. But if you know exactly where you want to go then you could use taxis. And if you are going to drink enough to get tipsy you should use a taxi.

Here is a good place to visit for first timers... https://www.chateaudepommard.com/

And if you search in this forum, you will find several other similar threads with lots of Burgundy suggestions.
Thank you!

Any other suggestion for vineyards, off the beaten path experiences, or high quality restaurant recommendations?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Any other suggestion for vineyards, off the beaten path experiences, or high quality restaurant recommendations?
Well here are a couple of the threads I mentioned that you can search for. Just put "burgundy" in the search box. Or Google around.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...ice-paris.html

or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...ns-beaune.html

Hot air ballooning is a popular experience. It was invented here by the Montgolfier brothers.

There is loads to do, especially in the summer. And literally thousands of vineyards across a hundred appellations.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
There is loads to do, especially in the summer. And literally thousands of vineyards across a hundred appellations.
Can you just show up to vineyards or do you need to make appointments?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Can you just show up to vineyards or do you need to make appointments?
Each vineyard is generally a tiny parcel of land in Burgundy. So most of them are unmanned. That's why there are so many. Larger domaines or chateaux usually have a sign up inviting passing tourists or wine shoppers to stop in. There are special roads designated as wine routes where you'll find plenty of places to stop in at. Also there are co-ops where a bunch of smaller growers team up to produce and bottle, or box, the wine. And you can taste there all day.

But if you have a specific domaine that you want to visit, yes you should call to make an appointment. Remember that people generally take off from 12-2 for lunch.

Oh, here is another good shopping place to stop by at Nuit-Saint-Georges. http://www.imaginarium-bourgogne.com/index.php?lg=en as they have expert assistants to answer any questions.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Personally, I prefer the wines of Burgundy but the scenery of the Loire, especially in summer. The cuisine can be fantastic or mediocre in either district. There is nothing more magnificent than a sublime Chambertin, or a lazy turn in the Loire river with a stunning Chateau reflected in the water. The principal difference is that you can experience one at home, whereas the other needs physical presence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.