Search

Connecting in CDG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Connecting in CDG

Hi all,

I am thinking about taking a BOS-CDG flight on AA (landing in Terminal 2A) and then connecting to a CDG-BOD flight on AF (departing from Terminal 2F).

Since this will be separate tickets, I need to time this correct. Is 2h15min enough? I am assuming I need to clear customs in CDG and not BOD.

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The last time I flew to CDG, my flight was four and a half hours late. I wouldn't dream of buying a separate ticket with less than six hours "connect" time.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
CDG has a somewhat slow customs depending on your luck. I would give it 4 hours transfer, so your chance of making the second leg is bigger without driving yourself crazy at the airport.

but if you want to test it, I've had friends who made it on a 1 hour connection time with separate tickets, so it's up to you.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You are flying AA, which is currently the most unreliable "on time" US airline. And you are connecting at CDG. Separate tickets mean no protection from AF if you miss your AF flight. A 6 hour connection is overkill IMO, but 2h15m is risky especially if you have checked bags. I would take a later CDG-BOD flight and agree with elexianyx on being safe and shooting for a 4 hour connection.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Chances of making a 2+15 international connect through CDG, on separate tickets, are almost nil. Save your money and drop the idea.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Wow. I would have though that 2h15 would be more than enough time. Thanks for the advice all. I'll look into a later flight.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If I were to attempt an international connect through CDG on separate tickets, which I would never really attempt in the first place, I would advise no fewer than 4 or 5 hours, 6 would be better.

You are betting money that your inbound flight is on time, that baggage processing and collecting will be expeditious, that Immigration will be timely (have seen recent reports of 90 minute wait times), that you are checked-in in advance for the follow-on flight, that your luggage tags are already printed (if not expect up to 45 minute processing at AF counter check-in), and that security moves quickly (which it generally does).

2+15 will be OK if using a single PNR as connecting passengers have special Immigration access with expedited follow-on check-in and security.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
A related question, which I am facing due to a schedule change on an AA-issued award ticket:

I am arriving on a February day at 17.25 on BA from LHR (in J), connecting to JL F at 19.00. I will have a checked bag.

Given the terminal change, is this feasible and advisable? It's all on one ticket but I'm going on from NRT to Australia so not keen on missing connection and having to reprotect...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by airoli
A related question, which I am facing due to a schedule change on an AA-issued award ticket:

I am arriving on a February day at 17.25 on BA from LHR (in J), connecting to JL F at 19.00. I will have a checked bag.

Given the terminal change, is this feasible and advisable? It's all on one ticket but I'm going on from NRT to Australia so not keen on missing connection and having to reprotect...
If this is all on one ticket, the connection in CDG is feasible in theory, as your bag will be checked through and you won't have to go through immigration (but you'll have to go through security). But, in practice, this is very risky. LHR is very prone to delays as you certainly know, especially end afternoon which is a peak time and when BA aircrafts may have accumulated delays since the morning. Add to this always possible winter weather conditions. So the slightest delay from LHR and you might get screwed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.