Search

Another advice request threat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Another advice request thread

Hi experts,

I'm going to have my first visit to inland France for work (have been to Cannes, Riviera), but have carved out 2 days for fun. I arrive in CDG at 9:30 am on a Sunday and leave Tuesday morning. Thus, my best day is Monday -- I know. Many things are closed. I've booked the Holiday Inn Opera, which is right atop the Grands Boulevards metro stop (lines 8,9).

I think I'll take the RER to Gare du Nord, and may walk to the hotel from there -- same 15-20 minutes that the metro will take, and it gets me in the sun (unless its raining). I wonder if any would advise against this and suggest one of the buses? Looks like their stops are almost as far from the hotel as the train station, and the ride is longer.

For sights, I fully expect to be back on a normal vacation, so I don't need to see everything. I like old architecture and pretty things, so will want to spend some time on the island visiting Notre Dame and St Chapelle. I like Monet, and I'd like to see Versailles. So as I see it, I can either...

Drop bags at the hotel and head to Versailles Sunday afternoon, spending only half a day and arriving in the peak of crowds. Spend the evening at a nice early dinner. Be the first to the Louvre Monday morning, then cross to the island and see the cathedrals. Any suggestions on best times to see the stained glass at St Chapelle -- sunlight, angles, etc? Save most of Monet for another time.

Or...

skip Versailles for its distance, and spend Sunday visiting one or two impressionist/Monet rich museums. Probably Orangerie and d'Orsay, leaving Marmottan for the future. I want to see the water lilies in the round on this trip. Less sunlight to fight the jetlag than the Versailles option, but probably overall the better plan.

Last edited by ludocdoc; Sep 6, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Upon arrival at the airport, you could take a taxi, from the official taxi queue, to your hotel for the fixed price of 50€. For 10€ you can take the RER B to Gare du Nord, transition to Métro 4 until Strasbourg/St Denis, then take Métro 9 to Grands Boulevards. You could also just walk from Gare du Nord as you have suggested if you feel comfortable about carrying your luggage.

For someone spending little more than one full day in Paris, I´m not sure I would recommend going to Versailles. I would keep Sunday very simple as you will be understandably very tired. If you are interested in the museums, you might consider purchasing a 2 day Paris Museum Pass for 48€. With the pass you´ll save some time by avoiding the ticket lines.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I'd agree with skipping Versailles. Lots of pretty things, but save for another trip. The only exception might be if there's some special exhibition going on during your visit. My opinion was that it was maybe a little monotonous after a while. But since you're already there, you're kinda committed to seeing everything If you stay more in central Paris, then you'll have more options if you find something is less exciting than you hoped (even if it's just relaxing in the Jardin des Tuileries).

The Louvre has free admission on the first Sunday of the month (from Oct-Mar). So if you're travelling during that time, it might be unusually busy.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I'm traveling light, so inclined to walk if I end up on the RER -- thats probably as easy as the 2 metro connections. I do wonder about the bus.

Any good low key food recommendations in that opera area?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
I'm traveling light, so inclined to walk if I end up on the RER -- thats probably as easy as the 2 metro connections. I do wonder about the bus.
Take bus 48 directly to your hotel. Cost is 2€ when paying the driver directly or one ticket t+ at 1.90€.

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Any good low key food recommendations in that opera area?
One of my favorite lunch locations near your hotel:

Le Mesturet (eat at the bar if you can find a seat)
77 rue de Richelieu
www.lemesturet.com

_____

For dinner

Chez Tof
30 rue Saint-Marc
www.cheztof.fr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.