Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

NY to South of France Need help Routing!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

We are planning family trip to South of France in late July early August. Will be near Avignon...was looking for best flight options from NY area EWR preferred and UA is where all my miles and status are....since Brussels attack the flights thru Brussels have stayed same but alot of others have doubled...was thinking of maybe trying LIS or MAD and then Ryan....not sure there is savings. Looking for best/closest airport and best deals....Appreciate any insight. Thank you
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
If you want to go around Avignon, your target airport is Marseille (MRS). Montpellier (MPL) can be an option too. Alternatively, you can fly to CDG and connect to the TGV train to Avignon (there is a train station in CDG).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you are interested in Marseille, which has relatively easy train connections to Avignon, you could connect through LHR, FRA, or AMS. It would not necessarily need to be a CDG connection.

If you were interested in the TGV from CDG, or conceivably from Gare de Lyon, I would allow 3 hours (4 hours from Gare de Lyon) between scheduled arrival and train departure. Such a time margin would allow for a late arriving aircraft without disrupting your planned arrival time in Avignon.

For train tickets, you might consider:

https://www.captaintrain.com/search/
http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you will try MRS...maybe MPL the train if it were just my wife and I would be good but I think the kids will be too tired out....
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks will try those connecting points....LHR might work
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you were feeling a little crazy, you could fly into LHR, spend the night in London, then hop on the direct Lyon / Avignon / Marseille Eurostar! Takes a bit under 6 hours to Avignon, or a bit over to Marseille. Other than the early start is very civilised

It's about Ł50 one way booked far enough in advance. Up to 5 services a week. Details http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/train/france/avignon
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
You could also try BCN. UA has direct flights from EWR to BCN. You could then catch a train up to Avignon or perhaps rent a car for 4-1/2 hour drive to Avignon. I seem to get cheaper rental cars in Spain than in France. The only problem I have encountered with BCN is that flights back to US mostly leave before noon, which means either a night in BCN or nearby before the return flight, or a very very early drive back to BCN.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you fly into Barcelona, do yourself a favor and stay a couple of days.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a seasonal daily nonstop on DL (old PanAm route) from JFK to NCE.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I do a South of France trip every July (visiting the Tour de France), so it's something I have more than a passing familiarity with. My preference is for the train.

The direct trains make just two stops on its way to Avignon and it's a fairly pretty journey. It terminates in Marseille, so if that's your destination, you can sleep without concern you'll miss your stop. 1st class gives you a bit more room and sometimes costs the same as 2nd class if you buy far enough ahead.

Allow yourself 90 minutes for the transfer at the airport and you should be fine, providing the flight isn't too late into CDG. The last several trips I've been able to pick up my bags and be outside the terminal in less than 25 minutes. Getting to the train station will take another 20 or so. Buy food for the trip at the Paul in the train station.

I've looked into MRS (Marseille airport) and decided against it after seeing it land at or near the bottom of airport rankings. It's probably not an issue landing there, but apparently security can be nightmarish when departing.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice I ended up on Luftansha thru FRA on to MRS....my way back might be a little tough I have heard same thing about the security and am planning on early arrival....Trains and long car rides if it were just my wife and I we have done and the trains in France are comfortable...with the kids though just too much time confined!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.