Search

Traffic at A1 motorway at peak hours

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:21 pm
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Traffic at A1 motorway at peak hours

I've planned to rent a car for one day to visit Pierrefonds and Chantilly; the train - bus connections in Pierrefonds are not convenient in terms of time, and at the end the total cost is similar.

I have to return the car at the agency near Gare du Nord. So, if I have to arrive at Gare du Nord at 19:30 aprox, at what time should I depart from my last stop, Chateau Chantilly, 48km from Paris? Considering I'll take the A1 motorway, that's near CDG. I'll guess I'll find heavy traffic entering the city. And I can't return the car the next day, I've to arrive before the agency closes

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I would allow 90 minutes from Chantilly to Gare du Nord; possibly more if you are not absolutely sure how to find Gare du Nord when arriving from N1.

Be careful to avoid the far left lane of A1 as you proceed southbound. It is reserved for buses and taxis only and there are a number of cameras in place to report violators using this lane.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Tamino
Be careful to avoid the far left lane of A1 as you proceed southbound. It is reserved for buses and taxis only and there are a number of cameras in place to report violators using this lane.
This lane is not in force anymore and in any case it was only in the morning (OP plan to drive in the evening).
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by Goldorak
This lane is not in force anymore and in any case it was only in the morning (OP plan to drive in the evening).
The bus/taxi lane is indeed back as it was one of the negotiating points for Taxis Parisiens to accept the fixed rate fares to/from CDG (and from ORY) which began 1 March. The bus/taxi signs are in place and they do not specify time period. I would not travel in the far left lane along A1 even in the afternoon.

However, the big backup usually begins where southbound A1 crosses A86 and becomes N1 and just before the périphérique.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Tamino
The bus/taxi lane is indeed back as it was one of the negotiating points for Taxis Parisiens to accept the fixed rate fares to/from CDG (and from ORY) which began 1 March. The bus/taxi signs are in place and they do not specify time period. I would not travel in the far left lane along A1 even in the afternoon.

However, the big backup usually begins where southbound A1 crosses A86 and becomes N1 and just before the périphérique.
Indeed, my mistake. I didn't realize it was back again. I looked in my mirror this morning going to the office. But I can still guarantee you it's only in the morning (I think it's ending around 10 or 11). I take A1 every day back to Paris in the evening and the left lane is fully available to regular cars.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

The left lane reserved for taxis on A1 is from 6:30 to 10:00 am.
http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...a1-559347.html
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:23 pm
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Thanks a lot for the info.
Any advice for the tolls? Where are the toll windows that accept cash (or credit cards maybe?)? At the right lanes? Usually the left lanes are for the fast passes.

I was checking France roads websites and I'm calculating the Paris-Compiègne toll costs around 4.20 €, am I right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.