Wiki Posts
Search

CDG transit and taxi strikes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry

Has anyone here taken a taxi (assuming you were able to get one) or any other forms of transit to CDG in the past couple of days? How did it look? Were you able to get through? If you were driven or took an Uber, how close were you able to get to the terminal?

Asking because I'm in Paris for work at the moment. I'm scheduled to fly out of CDG midday on Friday to head home (United, out of T1) and am starting to worry about how I'll get to CDG. I know RER is an option, but I'll have a lot of luggage (probably at least 80 lbs worth and I am traveling alone) and really don't want to have to haul all that through the luggage-unfriendly Metro system. I'm on an expense account so cost isn't really a big issue. Co-workers didn't have any ideas. The concierge suggested checking back late Thurs/early Fri to see what the situation is but I'm trying to brainstorm ideas ahead of time. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
When I lived in Paris and there was any sort of looming strike, I would book one of the shared ride shuttles. I usually don't like the extra time those things take, but I found it a bit of an insurance policy when you couldn't pre-book a cab or depend on the RER. I haven't kept up with the current companies, but I think I used Parishuttle.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:13 pm

What part of Paris will you be leaving from to go to the airport?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I think that most of the disruptions will have concluded by Friday. If however, the roads are blocked as they were on Tuesday and partially were yesterday, no ground transportation option is likely to be ideal other than the RER B.

You could spend tonight at one of the airport hotels or contract with a corporate transportation service. Due to reliability issues, I would avoid the tourist oriented operations such as shared ride shuttles. I sometimes use Navandis. You could ask them but they usually require a few days notice for airport service.

http://www.navendis.com/
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Today, Thursday my area will be blocked all afternoon. But not because of strikes but the Iranian president is at Medef.

Last night I saw a couple of taxis. And I was able to get an Uber. So it all depends. Give yourself a couple of hrs leeway.

The airline is sending me a car on Saturday and they haven't changed the pick up time, so am assuming that it will be over by then.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Jan 28, 2016 at 2:28 am
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're staying at a top hotel, try to book their car service to the hotel.

If you were leaving from Terminal 2, I would strongly recommend spending the night at the CDG Sheraton right in the terminal.

Depending on the stations you use, RER without connections or connections from Metro isn't too bad with luggage. Some stations are accessible and have elevators from street level to the tracks. However, you they must get to the Terminal 1 check in area at CDG, which would not be much fun with so much luggage.

Could you perhaps arrange to have some of the luggage shipped from your hotel or your work location? For international, this will be expensive but if your company would pay in these circumstances, it could make sense.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Staying in the 1st near Tuleries. Not sure how much striking is still going on - I've seen a few taxis on the street today, but not as many as usual and all of the ones I saw had their red light on. Going to try to get the hotel to arrange a private car if needed; if all else fails I guess I'll take the RER. Have had very bad experiences with shared-ride services in the past (Super Shuttle I'm looking at you!) so I usually spring for a taxi even if it's on my own dime. Fortunately my flight isn't till noon (UA914 out of T1) so at least I should have plenty of time.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Talked to the concierge - she stated that private cars aren't an option, period. She claimed taxi drivers were blocking CDG road entries, not sure if she meant they *are* or they *could*, maybe they're just concerned in case things go south? She also claimed that the few taxi drivers taking fares will only go within the city center, no fares to CDG or OLY. Apparently the Rossily Bus is still an option, but the stop is quite far from my hotel (and at this point, there's no way I'm giving Paris taxi drivers any more of my money to get there). Guess I'm taking the train.

The whole experience is silly. I'm pretty pro-worker's rights, and am even a card-carrying union member (and I support Bernie to boot), but these guys are doing nothing but shooting themselves in the foot and driving away more customers.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by chleonard
Talked to the concierge - she stated that private cars aren't an option, period. She claimed taxi drivers were blocking CDG road entries, not sure if she meant they *are* or they *could*, maybe they're just concerned in case things go south? She also claimed that the few taxi drivers taking fares will only go within the city center, no fares to CDG or OLY. Apparently the Rossily Bus is still an option, but the stop is quite far from my hotel (and at this point, there's no way I'm giving Paris taxi drivers any more of my money to get there). Guess I'm taking the train.

The whole experience is silly. I'm pretty pro-worker's rights, and am even a card-carrying union member (and I support Bernie to boot), but these guys are doing nothing but shooting themselves in the foot and driving away more customers.
The Roissybus stop is near Opera but if roads are blocked, then only the RER will work. As others suggested, I would either plan to take that or spend the night at the airport.

The entrenchment economically and politically of cab drviers in Paris is a joke, and does the public a big diservice.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jan 28, 2016 at 2:23 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
At this point the taxi drivers are doing much more harm to their cause than any good that may come form their continued disruptive activities.

Any vehicle or bus attempting to reach either of the airports is going to be delayed. This leaves two options really: either the RER B or the bus 350/351. These buses do not use the main roads to reach CDG. They take longer but will be far less subject to traffic slowdowns caused by taxi drivers.

Bus 350 departs from Gare de lŽEst, bus 351 departs from Nation. Both arrive CDG at Roissypol.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
I'll be landing at CDG terminal 2E around 5:45 am on Thursday. This will be my first time transiting both CDG and Paris. I need to get to the 6th arr. on Boulevard Saint Michael. What do you think is my best mode of transportation?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by dpoldberg
I'll be landing at CDG terminal 2E around 5:45 am on Thursday. This will be my first time transiting both CDG and Paris. I need to get to the 6th arr. on Boulevard Saint Michael. What do you think is my best mode of transportation?
Depending on where you go in Bd St Michel (quite a long street), you can take the train (RER B) from CDG to one of the following station on the same line : St Michel-Notre Dame, Luxembourg or Port Royal. If you have lots of luggage, it will be easier to take a cab of course.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Depending on where you go in Bd St Michel (quite a long street), you can take the train (RER B) from CDG to one of the following station on the same line : St Michel-Notre Dame, Luxembourg or Port Royal. If you have lots of luggage, it will be easier to take a cab of course.
@Goldorak Thanks for all of the help! I travel light so the RER B to St. Michael-Notre Dame will work perfectly ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.