Madame or Mademoiselle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madame or Mademoiselle?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Today, my daughter who is in her late 20s was addressed as "madame" by the waiter.
That seems perfectly proper. Did you expect otherwise?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
So, as long as we are talking accepted conventions, is there an age limit for copine/copain?

Those Scots in Coffee Break French podcasts haven't helped me in this!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by tartetatin2
So, as long as we are talking accepted conventions, is there an age limit for copine/copain?
I think so, but I guess I'm old fashioned. Same in English with boyfriend/girlfriend.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That seems perfectly proper. Did you expect otherwise?
I didn't expect anything different, was just mentioning that it is the norm to address a lady by madame. Now when she was younger, in school, she was always addresses by Mademoiselle.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: LCAH Gold
Since not a long time ago, "Mademoiselle" doesn't appear anymore on official / administrative papers as it was considered as discriminatory as a woman was obliged to unveil if she was married or not.

However, it is still used by most people for ladies under 25/30. Madame is far more formal, I believe.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by dlffla
I did not assume from the OP that he was a male and she was a female since the OP said they were both "of a certain age", which phrase generally implies women. But now that I think of it, why is the OP doing the ordering unless the other person does not speak French? Even if it is a male and he is over 50. And who decided that 50 was the dividing line. Lots of generalizations going on here.
It depends on the restaurant and/or the waiter. If the waiter comes to me first , I will put my order. In some restaurants, they will ask my husband if we are ready to order and my husband will start with : "Madame will have a,b,c and I will have x,y,z". A good waiter will ask me for the cuisson before my husband gives his choices .
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Buaires
Since not a long time ago, "Mademoiselle" doesn't appear anymore on official / administrative papers as it was considered as discriminatory as a woman was obliged to unveil if she was married or not.

However, it is still used by most people for ladies under 25/30. Madame is far more formal, I believe.
As a women in her thirties I have noticed that I get mademoiselle less and less now. At my age I take it as a compliment that someone thinks I'm young enough to be a mademoiselle!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: FB Gold, TK Elite, AB Gold, Sixt Plat, Hertz 5* and former many things
Tough subject, overall I would say you are safer in using "Madame" in any situation. I would even say you could use it for a young girl, all depends on the tone/way you say it.

Originally Posted by tartetatin2
To me it sounds a bit strange when someone say 40+ uses copine, I would rather use "compagne" for instance, but it pretty much depends in which context you are (work vs friends or family). Depends also on the stability/length of the relationship
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Nick9251
Tough subject, overall I would say you are safer in using "Madame" in any situation. I would even say you could use it for a young girl, all depends on the tone/way you say it.

To me it sounds a bit strange when someone say 40+ uses copine, I would rather use "compagne" for instance, but it pretty much depends in which context you are (work vs friends or family). Depends also on the stability/length of the relationship
Some people also refer to "mon amie" / "mon ami", which is "my friend". It seems quite clear for most people what you are talking about, as it is different from "un ami" / "une amie", which is "a friend" (implicitly, a friend among others).

For people between 20-30, "copine" / "copain" are for young people, as you typically talk about your "copine" / "copain" in high school and "mon amie" / "mon ami" is a slightly better option. "Compagne" / "compagnon" is a little bit dated (and, you're right Nick, it is OK for people aged 30-40)

There are so many variations in French ... Glad to talk about this topic on FT as it couldn't be a better place to see how my language is complex for foreigners !
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Buaires
There are so many variations in French ... Glad to talk about this topic on FT as it couldn't be a better place to see how my language is complex for foreigners !
Indeed. One of the most frequent questions I had from English-speaking persons is how do you know if you need to say "tu" or "vous" to somebody. While the basics are easy to explain, then it becomes very complicated to explain how you move from "vous" to "tu" with a specific person.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Indeed. One of the most frequent questions I had from English-speaking persons is how do you know if you need to say "tu" or "vous" to somebody. While the basics are easy to explain, then it becomes very complicated to explain how you move from "vous" to "tu" with a specific person.
So how do you do that?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:46 am

That's sort of like asking how you know when to try a First Kiss.

But the mechanics are actually fairly simple: You tutoyer the person, and wait for a response. If you get a tutoyer in return, you're all set; if you get a vouvoyer, you've said a small bêtise.

It's just one of those complicated things, though, like trying to figure out whether a woman is d'un certain âge or d'un âge certain.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Madame or Mademoiselle?

Normally you say should we just "tutoyer" but you need to reach a certain easiness with the person before you ask that. A person you see once in a while, you don't. A person you are becoming friendlier with you do.

Young people 20is just skip the vous and start with a tu.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:43 am

As a young in my 20s, I always use "vous" in a business context, with customers and with colleagues I don't know well until being asked to "tutoyer" the person. Some ask immediately to use "tu" because the age gap is not that important, some wait a few weeks / few months before they ask to use "tu".

However, I will never use "tu" at a first meeting with people I don't know, even after being introduced to them by someone I know. I prefer to be more formal and to be mocked for that rather than seeming rude to someone, using "tu" immediately.

In a more informal context, when being friends and getting introduced to their friends or relatives, you usually skip the "vous" and directly use "tu", as Yahillwe said.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:05 am

At an American company where I worked (Digital Equipment Corp) that had large offices in Evry and Valbonne, the French offices had the explicit policy that co-workers would always tutoyer one another. Is it common practice for such a policy to be explicit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.