Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To go to Paris soon or not?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by grandchampion
We're less concerned about personal safety and any ongoing threat than we are about having a relaxing trip. Not sure to what extent the city will be on guard or edge and if the attractions will be open/accessible.
It may be fun, but Paris ≠ relaxing (any day of the year)... unless you're a new Yorker Spend a few days on the way in and on the way out, and spend a few days driving around the countryside which should be great this time of the year
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta, Accor, Marriott
Originally Posted by Palal
It may be fun, but Paris ≠ relaxing (any day of the year)... unless you're a new Yorker Spend a few days on the way in and on the way out, and spend a few days driving around the countryside which should be great this time of the year
Thanks, Palal. That's what we're leaning towards - three days driving around the countryside and three days in Paris.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:40 am

I think you are probably safer now in Paris than you were before 13 November.

As in all travel, be sensible, do not attract attention to yourself, and enjoy the cultural difference.

It's so easy for the media to comment inaccurately when they're in their nice warm studios in their homeland ....

Personally I have been disagreeably surprised by the inflamatory remarks circulating on various websites, and have not heeded the advice I read in the UK Daily Telegraph that UK citizens in France should stay in their homes. My neighbours and other people whom I don't even know NEED to talk about what they've been through, to show respect and solidarity and to work towards living together in tolerance, so that from evil may come good.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by grandchampion
Long-time reader/lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I have a trip planned to Paris leaving NYC this Wednesday night and returning the next Wednesday. This is a 'babymoon' - our last big trip before our first child, and we emptied out the frequent-flier accounts for business class tickets and splurged a bit on the hotels to make it more luxurious and comfortable than we're used to.

We're split on whether to (1) keep our current plans to spend six nights in Paris, (2) head elsewhere in Europe, or (3) rent a car and spend the time elsewhere in France, or some combination of these options.

We're less concerned about personal safety and any ongoing threat than we are about having a relaxing trip. Not sure to what extent the city will be on guard or edge and if the attractions will be open/accessible.

Normally I wouldn't think twice and would keep the plans, but this was intended to be a different type of trip for us. It definitely feels trite and a case of #firstworldproblems to worry about our comfort after such terrible events, but figured this community would have thoughts. Would welcome any feedback from this group.
This is from a Parisian resident, who lives just kitty corner from one the most visited sites in the world:

Paris is just fine. I have said it often here. My life has been the same since saturday, except there was no market. Otherwise, I've been to restaurants/cafes/ walked around town. People were going to the movies on saturday (I didn't go because the weather is just wonderful). Had lunch at a restaurant. Going later on to a wine tasting.

Tomorrow going to dinner at a restaurant near the attacks. Attending a Uni board meeting then a cocktail party....

Life is going on...

BUT, if you don't feel comfortable or safe.. then don't come, postpone your trip for you will be tense all the time. Oh btw the tourist double decker busses... FULL.. And yes I see them go by.

Don't listen to the fear mongering. Listen to the people who reside here.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
I think you are probably safer now in Paris than you were before 13 November.

As in all travel, be sensible, do not attract attention to yourself, and enjoy the cultural difference.

It's so easy for the media to comment inaccurately when they're in their nice warm studios in their homeland ....

Personally I have been disagreeably surprised by the inflamatory remarks circulating on various websites, and have not heeded the advice I read in the UK Daily Telegraph that UK citizens in France should stay in their homes. My neighbours and other people whom I don't even know NEED to talk about what they've been through, to show respect and solidarity and to work towards living together in tolerance, so that from evil may come good.

Actually most of the US media outlets sent all their top people. I was told that ABC sent over 300 people... What baffles me is: do they have the french credentials to go in and meet whoever they need to? They are overshadowing their correspondences and making them non significant. *shaking my head*.

Apparently Katie Couric (she is with yahoo news, never knew such news exist) is here.
I was told all of that from a journalist friend.

So of course in order to justify their coming here they have to be sensationalist.

Not that the incident wasn't awful....
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Are you in Paris at the moment? Are you posting of what you have seen/been to?

...If you are scared, then don't come. Come when you feel comfortable.
No I'm not, but I'm helping my wife and her friends from Canada and San Francisco with their trip to Paris and the south, staying with friends in the south next spring. I expect them to enjoy themselves, and believe like everyone else that all will be normal months before that.

...Please stop the scare mongering.
I'm not trying to scare anyone, Yahillwe. I'm just pointing to likely travel issues during the upcoming conference.

Let me explain. During those much earlier bombings near the Bastille and on trains, we were two couples arriving from Switzerland, and we knew we would be some of the first to see how Schengen actually works for tourist travel. And naturally we encountered long lines and inspections at some stations and checkpoints at the sights.

We were fortunate to arrive at Gare du Nord before the incidents began. Although for a time we avoided the Metro in the inner zones whenever possible. I remember walking around the beautiful Ille day after day. It got rather tiring quickly, but we still enjoyed ourselves a lot.

After the school bombing, we switched to visiting Disney and Versailles even though I knew Saint-Michel Metro had been hit a month or so earlier. We had memorable times just the same. But we lost our chance to ride TGV to Lyon or Dijon with my brother, who had taken leave from his work in Zurich to join us and had to return home soon. I regret not getting to try those trains ever since. So I never really forgot how our day-to-day plans were affected by the security measures, as visitors.

Last edited by FlitBen; Nov 17, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlitBen
Let me explain. During those much earlier bombings near the Bastille and on trains, we were two couples arriving from Switzerland, and we knew we would be some of the first to see how Schengen actually works for tourist travel. And naturally we encountered long lines and inspections at some stations and checkpoints at the sights.
It's perfectly OK to write about your first-hand experiences as a tourist. But what is not ok is to make blanket statements about things that you do not have current first hand experience with. You do realize that as a tourist you know much less about these things than the people who live in the city we are discussing, right?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
It's perfectly OK to write about your first-hand experiences as a tourist. But what is not ok is to make blanket statements about things that you do not have current first hand experience with. You do realize that as a tourist you know much less about these things than the people who live in the city we are discussing, right?
stimpy, I'm not trying to blanket anyone with scares, it's about being flexible around an upcoming world meet which will be featuring even higher security than already planned. Like I don't know, right? It's no different than what I'm advising those thinking of visiting Manila during the much sooner APEC meeting. Which according to a friend who met with some of the advance teams, is going to see much, much more invasive security measures than was originally planned, due to Paris.

I'm going through the planning documents for affected firms in the know, and some of the lockdowns and possible road reroutings and service disruptions being contemplated are eye-opening. Including almost city-wide cessation of all wireless data and perhaps cell communications in central areas, and militarized buffer zones and not just police checkpoints around every major venue as well as hotel. The betting is that this will be at least the basic security template for the later Paris conference, which will see more high-profile missions attending.

It's always the security and alert level response which mainly visitors on the go will have to deal with to get the most out of their stays. So to be forewarned is to be forearmed, not scared unthinkingly.

Last edited by FlitBen; Nov 16, 2015 at 8:13 am
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
i agree, but it wouldn't surprise me to see bags searched upon entry to museums and other attractions.
I've had to open my bag at nearly every event I've attended since September 2001. It's no big deal and only takes a minute.

I'm spending Christmas in Paris again this year and am very much looking forward to it. I'm not buying into the fear mongering. Life goes on in Paris, as it did here in NYC after 9/11. I pay far more attention to the opinion of Yahillwe, who lives there, than some reporter trying to drum up ratings.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlitBen
stimpy, I'm not trying to blanket anyone with scares, it's about being flexible around an upcoming world meet which will be featuring even higher security than already planned. Like I don't know, right? It's no different than what I'm advising those thinking of visiting Manila during the much sooner APEC meeting. Which according to a friend who met with some of the advance teams, is going to see much, much more invasive security measures than was originally planned, due to Paris.

I'm going through the planning documents for affected firms in the know, and some of the lockdowns and possible road reroutings and service disruptions being contemplated are eye-opening. Including almost city-wide cessation of all wireless data and perhaps cell communications in central areas, and militarized buffer zones and not just police checkpoints around every major venue as well as hotel. The betting is that this will be at least the basic security template for the later Paris conference, which will see more high-profile missions attending.

It's always the security and alert level response which mainly visitors on the go will have to deal with to get the most out of their stays. So to be forewarned is to be forearmed, not scared unthinkingly.
What you are writing is really over board... There is no check points in Paris.. there hasn't been any cell disruptions... No extra military presence... Non of this...

BUT if you and your friends are really worried, why don't you do what is best for you and visit when things calm down. The view from a person who lives here and lives not only next to a major attraction and across the river from major hotels, I can tell you first hand nothin of that sort has happened nor will happen.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShopAround
I've had to open my bag at nearly every event I've attended since September 2001. It's no big deal and only takes a minute.

I'm spending Christmas in Paris again this year and am very much looking forward to it. I'm not buying into the fear mongering. Life goes on in Paris, as it did here in NYC after 9/11. I pay far more attention to the opinion of Yahillwe, who lives there, than some reporter trying to drum up ratings.
While you are here, if you need anything please do not hesitate to pm me and am sure many other local fetus would be glad to help in any way... if you feel uncomfortable in any way. Am sure and can guarantee that you will have as good of a time if not more than the last Xmas that you were here.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DOD has issued a travel ban for all military and civilian personnel. Seems OTP to me?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
What you are writing is really over board... There is no check points in Paris.. there hasn't been any cell disruptions... No extra military presence... Non of this...

BUT if you and your friends are really worried, why don't you do what is best for you and visit when things calm down. The view from a person who lives here and lives not only next to a major attraction and across the river from major hotels, I can tell you first hand nothin of that sort has happened nor will happen.
Well if no unprecedented security measures like in Manila ever happens during the COP21 thing, then good for them and you guys. And if no attacks like in Paris ever happens during the APEC thing, then good for them and my friends.

I'm not scarifying anyone, just advising visitors to maximize their enjoyment of a trip to any eventful city, by keeping wisely informed on things and staying out of or routing around troubled or heavily restricted zones.

If you and your neighbors continue to be so blessed, then be thankful for I may envy you yet.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I think what must be considered is the quality of the tourist experience putting aside solidarity for moment.

Paris is a city of romance to many of us infrequent visitors...if a strong military or police presence is prevalent it may be quite a different experience that a first or second time visitor may have imagined. If major attractions are closed, while Paris is a wonderful walking city, it could be a disappointment to some visitors to not be able see some of the " must see" attractions. I would wait if I was going. ( We are going the Spring.)

Last edited by david55; Nov 16, 2015 at 11:15 am
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
DOD has issued a travel ban for all military and civilian personnel. Seems OTP to me?
You're right:

http://eucom.dodlive.mil/2015/11/euc...-restrictions/

I would be pretty ticked off if I were traveling soon and now had to eat change ticket fees for an international ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.