Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TGV vs iDTGV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

TGV vs iDTGV

Looking on the SNCF website for TGV's from Bordeaux to Paris. They have trains on their schedule called iDTGV's for less than half the price of a TGV. The travel time is the same as regular TGV's what little information you can find on their website says that if anything it's nicer than a TGV and you can choose from a "Zen"train car or an "activity" train car. Sounds too good to be true, does anyone know what is he difference between these 2 trains systems. iDTGV is supposedly a private company so maybe this is like the former TED of United airlines
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
The Man in Seat 61 has a pretty good page explaining the differences. I'd suggest you have a quick read through that, then let us know if any questions remain!

(Just to confuse you, there are actually 3 domestic TGV operations run in various ways by SNCF, normal TGV, iDTGV, and Ouigo. Ouigo very much follows the LCC model, with baggage restrictions, no flexibility, and going middle-of-nowhere to middle-of-nowhere, but they're cheap...)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
The Man in Seat 61 has a pretty good page explaining the differences. I'd suggest you have a quick read through that, then let us know if any questions remain!

(Just to confuse you, there are actually 3 domestic TGV operations run in various ways by SNCF, normal TGV, iDTGV, and Ouigo. Ouigo very much follows the LCC model, with baggage restrictions, no flexibility, and going middle-of-nowhere to middle-of-nowhere, but they're cheap...)
Thanks,
Still don't see why it is half the price of a TGV ticket.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by ente_09
Thanks,

It will not always be half the price. The SNCF has a variety of pricing strategies form iDTGVs to Ouigo to PREM fares on TGVs and Intercité trains. Prices are constantly changing as tickets are sold for any given train.

iDTGV fares are only available on line and you must print the ticket yourself (or there is a 7€ fee if the SNCF prints it). Fares typically start at 19€ and increase as tickets are sold. If you find a fare that is lower than otherwise available, purchase it and take advantage of what is offered.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ente_09
Thanks,
Per The Man in Seat 61 site:

"iDTGV is a special brand name SNCF gives to two or three TGVs per day on a handful of major routes with special cheaper fares designed to compete head-on with budget airlines. In fact it's a bit more than just a brand, SNCF has set up iDTGV as a separate subsidiary company."
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
BTW, you may have trouble paying for an iDTGV ticket with a foreign credit card.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
BTW, you may have trouble paying for an iDTGV ticket with a foreign credit card.
The only foreign credit cards which I have heard to be consistently denied for iDTGV purchase on the iDTGV website are those from Australia.

Anyone having trouble purchasing any train tickets for travel in France should use Capitaine Train.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Tamino
The only foreign credit cards which I have heard to be consistently denied for iDTGV purchase on the iDTGV website are those from Australia.

Anyone having trouble purchasing any train tickets for travel in France should use Capitaine Train.
I've heard of New Zealand, South African, US and Canadian cards being denied on iDTGV as well - OP doesn't actually say where he or she is from. Problem cards can purchase from SNCF but not from iDTGV. One of my Aussie cards works for iDTGV, the other doesn't.

If a problem is encountered on the SNCF site because of the card, it will likely be denied on the Capitaine Train site as well. I use Capitaine Train for my TGV tickets rather than SNCF, it's a much better site.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:12 am

I've heard of New Zealand, South African, US and Canadian cards being denied on iDTGV as well . . . One of my Aussie cards works for iDTGV, the other doesn't.
This is the first report I have read of an Aussie card being accepted on the iDTGV website.

I have not heard of many US cards being rejected on that site and I myself have purchased a good number of iDTGV tickets on that site with a US card.

If a problem is encountered on the SNCF site because of the card, it will likely be denied on the Capitaine Train site as well.
It really depends upon why a card is refused. However, I have read many reports by people able to complete purchases with Capitaine Train who where not able to buy on www.voyages-sncf.com or some of the other SNCF websites.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Gagravarr

To give a little more detail, on main lines such as Paris-Lyon, iDTGV only operates on Sundays and holidays. Also the SNCF just replaced the frequent traveler cards with IDPass cards. So maybe they are going to simplify things and just have one program plus Ouigo.

And there are several other trains that operate domestically even if they begin and end internationally. TGV Lyria goes to and from Switzerland, but you can buy domestic portions too. The same goes for DB and AVE.

And I've never had a problem buying any tickets, TGV or iDTGV with my US credit cards. YMMV.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
To give a little more detail, on main lines such as Paris-Lyon, iDTGV only operates on Sundays and holidays. Also the SNCF just replaced the frequent traveler cards with IDPass cards. So maybe they are going to simplify things and just have one program plus Ouigo.

And there are several other trains that operate domestically even if they begin and end internationally. TGV Lyria goes to and from Switzerland, but you can buy domestic portions too. The same goes for DB and AVE.

And I've never had a problem buying any tickets, TGV or iDTGV with my US credit cards. YMMV.
Agree with above

It seems that iDTGV trains are few and far between. Kind of like bagging a good upgrade with flyer miles.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
As a business passenger, a Pro (fully flexible) First Class ticket gives me access to dedicated cars on a standard domestic TGV. Except at peak times, these cars are usually less crowded and more quiet than the cars occupied by passengers travelling on Leisure (semi-flexible) fares or Prem's (non modifiable, non refundable) fares.

iDTGV cars in First Class are usually fully occupied, with the feeling of a very crowded atmosphere, and a very limited offering at the bar. I just experienced it a few days ago after a year of travelling only on standard TGVs. It is not an experience I expect to renew in the foreseeable future.

Note that as a cost cutting measure, there are no bars on TGVs operating from/to Gare du Nord (not applicable to Thalys, which is a separate product) .
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Note that as a cost cutting measure, there are no bars on TGVs operating from/to Gare du Nord (not applicable to Thalys, which is a separate product) .
Not just TGV's from Gare du Nord. For many years now they stopped bar service on other TGV's where they said they just didn't get enough bar business. I generally just pick up a menu voyageur (sandwich, drink, dessert) at the station before leaving anyways, assuming I didn't have time to eat at Le Train Bleu.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:04 pm
iff

Originally Posted by JOUY31
iDTGV cars in First Class are usually fully occupied, with the feeling of a very crowded atmosphere, and a very limited offering at the bar. I just experienced it a few days ago after a year of travelling only on standard TGVs. It is not an experience I expect to renew in the foreseeable future.
Were you in Zap or Zen? I've ridden Paris-Bordeaux in iDTGV Zen and it didn't seem much different than a regular TGV. I can't comment on the bar, though, since I never use it in the train.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 3:04 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by iff
Were you in Zap or Zen? I've ridden Paris-Bordeaux in iDTGV Zen and it didn't seem much different than a regular TGV. I can't comment on the bar, though, since I never use it in the train.
It was in Zen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.