Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Neighborhood/Arrondissement Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham

Never been to Paris. Family of four with two teenagers. We'll be spending 3 days at the Hotel du Louvre (Hyatt) next May.

From my research so far, the heavy tourist areas are not the best areas to walk, relax and eat. My read so far is that restaurants in the heavy tourist areas are either quite expensive, or very touristy.

Of course, we will do the tourist things like the Louvre, Notre Dame, the Seine, etc., but I would like to know what neighborhoods/arrondissements are good for just walking around, enjoying the ambience, finding a little cafe to eat at, finding a little shopping area to walk around, etc.

For example, on my last trip to NYC we stayed near Times Square. But when in NYC I really like to get away from the hustle and bustle and walk the Upper East Side. The quiet neighborhoods are a nice change, I like looking at the townhomes, the long walk along Central Park where the artists set up, etc. I also like going to Chinatown to walk, shop, and eat (although Chinatown isn't exactly "quiet").

Another example: when in DC I often stay at hotels north of the White House and Mall. But I like to go to Georgetown to walk, shop, and eat. (I also understand that in DC terms, Georgetown is not "quiet," it's usually very crowded.)

So if my goal is an agenda of "walk, admire neighborhoods, shop, and eat less expensively but still authentically," what areas of Paris should I trek out to for an afternoon on the metro?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Put on comfortable walking shoes and walk, let your curiosity lead you. Paris is a wonderful city to get lost in. Cafes/shops/ restaurants are in every corner. All that you have to remember is: restaurants serve from 12:30-2 and from 7:30-….

Otherwise enjoy every nock and cranny of the city.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:47 pm

Check out some of David Lebovitz's recs on his blog, but otherwise I agree with PP about just wandering. The trick is to hit the side streets for those little tiny restaurants where you'll find the best food.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/paris/
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
All of Paris is wonderful for walking. But one of my favorite areas to walk is the 4eme arrondissement - which includes the Marais and the Village Saint Paul.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

You might start with the sticky at the top of this forum which has a ton of information.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally I like the 7th, but neighborhoods tend to have their own characters.

Ile St Louis is charming but can be packed with tourists and unfortunately most of the restaurants there are both touristic and overpriced with bad service.

For a day trip, I prefer Fountainbleu to Versailles.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See also the recommendations and discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...-year-old.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...districts.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...orhoods-2.html
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I prefer to wander as well when in Paris. Last month I stayed near the Seine and new mall then moved to StGermain. Last year I enjoyed oberkampf with my niece but she was frustrated as mostly French menus she couldn't read. Find a place that looks interesting has food you like and prices you can afford and enjoy it. there really isn't a right/wrong way unless you go to mcdonalds IMO. It killed me to eat pizza in Paris but my 11 yo niece wanted pizza and another day saw a diner with milkshakes.

near the louvre/Starbucks is a good crepe restaurant that I can't remember name but was good, reasonable and a mix of tourists/locals.

Last month, I enjoyed Miznon, Buvette and Holy Belly (near Canal St Martin) with a friend who lives there but also a few diners which were crowded with students from the Sorbonne eating burgers so is it local or touristy? who cares I had a great meal

I have Paris posts in my blog (same as user name) of my visits with and without my niece - we did some great off beat things
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:41 am

We've stayed in the 1st (at Hotel du Louvre), 6th, 8th, 14th and the 15th and each one has it's own charm. Where you're staying is really not that neighbourhoody (not a word, I'm sure) but it's close to everything. Paris is a very walkable city moving thorough arrondissements with ease. Sometimes we'd get on a bus, any bus, and just get off where it looked interesting.

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; Jul 29, 2015 at 1:08 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:18 am

As mentionned, the 7th would be nice. Very bourgeois residential arrondissement but with enough life going on. It's home to most of the government, nice small parks, restaurants, small shops (and also to Le Bon Marché). And some monuments like les Invalides and tour Eiffel. If you stay away from these two, not too many tourists.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by ChangingNappies
As mentionned, the 7th would be nice. Very bourgeois residential arrondissement but with enough life going on. It's home to most of the government, nice small parks, restaurants, small shops (and also to Le Bon Marché). And some monuments like les Invalides and tour Eiffel. If you stay away from these two, not too many tourists.
From someone who lives in the 7th, it is dead at night, besides the champs area. Even Ecole Militaire with its cafes, by 10ish it slows down, so does Rue Cler.

Bourgois yes, but dead. And I mean the Us meaning of bourgeois not the french.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:47 pm
mfl

Programs: Miles & More, Virgin Velocity
Our last couple of visits we have stayed in the 11th , near the Bastille.

Its adjacent to the Marias, but just far enough from the tourists, plenty of cafes and restaurants. Might be worth a look.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
All of Paris is wonderful for walking. But one of my favorite areas to walk is the 4eme arrondissement - which includes the Marais and the Village Saint Paul.
Agreed. But I'm biased as I live in the 4th.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
I find the replies and input very helpful. I'm staying in the 1st, and the information has led me to think that the adjacent arrondissements of the 4th and the 7th are good places to wander.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Agreed. But I'm biased as I live in the 4th.
My post isn't biased....but full disclosure, I did live in the 4eme for over 3 years (near Le Pavillon de l'Arsenal)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.