Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strasbourg? To go or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Strasbourg? To go or not?

I get the impression Strasbourg is a small city with limited sights. I'm debating if I should include it on my upcoming trip.

Is Strasbourg a must see?

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I've been to Strasbourg several times, and I like it. I wouldn't detour a southern European trip to visit it again, but I would swing by were I near. Without knowing where you'll be, how long for, and what you're into, it's hard to give a universal answer!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by tt1122
Is Strasbourg a must see?
It depends on your interests. Strasbourg is a unique city with unique restaurants and some unique architecture and I wouldn't call it small. It's rather large. And visiting the rest of the Alsace region is also interesting.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
To go....
I went there for the first time earlier this month for 3 nights and enjoyed my time there.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I'll be in Lyon and definitely want to head to Geneva from Lyon, my original plan was to fly from Geneva to LHR. If Strasbourg is included in the trip it will be after Geneva, but that means skipping London entirely due to having limited time off work.

I love London and visit London frequently, have many friends and family there and it's been almost two years since my last visit to London. So, I was really looking forward to spending sometime there.

I'm torn.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be in Lyon and definitely want to head to Geneva from Lyon, my original plan was to fly from Geneva to LHR. If Strasbourg is included in the trip it will be after Geneva, but that means skipping London entirely due to having limited time off work.

I love London and visit London frequently, have many friends and family there and it's been almost two years since my last visit to London. So, I was really looking forward to spending sometime there.

I'm torn.
Have you considered dropping Geneva from the itinerary instead of dropping Strasbourg? Geneva has all the charm of the waiting room in a doctor's office.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Have you considered dropping Geneva from the itinerary instead of dropping Strasbourg? Geneva has all the charm of the waiting room in a doctor's office.
I don't think Geneva is that bad, but yes Strasbourg would be nicer to visit and a WHOLE lot cheaper. And you can avoid dealing with another currency.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I also much prefer Strasbourg to Geneva.
So if you can drop Geneva and go to both Strasbourg and London that would be the best solution.
I can see that you can get direct trains from Lyon to Strasbourg - fastest 3h, 40 min.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:26 am

I get the impression Strasbourg is a small city with limited sights.
I wonder where you got this impression from? Seems a bit dismissive. I've lived locally for over 20 years and still have not finished enjoying or exploring ... and there's always Colmar 30 mins down the line if you finish early.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
+ another vote for Strasbourg/Colmar over Geneva. No contest in my book.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:22 pm

I also like Strasbourg. It's about an hour from where we live so we go there every now and then.

Now, whether I would bother going there from Lyon is of course a different question. The south of France is also very nice and I think if I had to do it, I would head south rather than north.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like it but the culture, especially food and wine, is Alsacian rather than "French."

To answer the question would require knowing how much travel in France and Europe you've already done, your interests, the approximate itinerary and timetable for this trip, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
+ another vote for Strasbourg/Colmar over Geneva. No contest in my book.
+1
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the rep;lies.

I will not skip Geneva as I'm keen on the Gruyere factory (much more so than Geneva), and it's doable as a day trip from Geneva.

I'm thinking of Lyon - Geneva - Strasbourg by train.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will not skip Geneva as I'm keen on the Gruyere factory (much more so than Geneva), and it's doable as a day trip from Geneva.

I'm thinking of Lyon - Geneva - Strasbourg by train.
OK, but I'm confused. If you want to go to the town of Gruyères, you should go to Lausanne rather than Geneva. Lausanne is closer and a much nicer town to visit than Geneva and slightly less expensive. And I've never heard of a Gruyère factory? It's made at hundreds of different farms in the region. No one I know would consume factory made Gruyère! But anyhow, it's a fine region to visit and plenty to see.

From Lyon, you'd have to change trains in Geneva to get to Lausanne. Or if you'd like to pop up to Dijon (plenty to see and do and drink in Dijon) there is a direct train to Lausanne. And from there you can take Swiss trains up to Strasbourg with a change or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.