Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Getting to/from Riviera from CDG

Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

My Bride and I are planning a River cruise next Spring between Paris and Arles.
At this point, we don't know if it will be north or south bound. Regardless, I want to fly RT from IAH to CDG and will need to either get down to Arles from Paris to start the Cruise or get back to Paris from Arles after the cruise if its Southbound.

We can fly between Arles (Marseilles) and Paris OR take the train.

Taking the train would be cool but presents some problems getting between the station and CDG. Flying is probably a lot easier but I assume a lot more expensive.

Thoughts, please?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: SEN, FB PLT, HH,
What do you mean problems between station and CDG?

The train station is in CDG terminal 2, anyway the journey from Gare Saint-Charles Marseille to CDG is 3 hours and 50 minutes and its more comfortable.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon1
What do you mean problems between station and CDG?

The train station is in CDG terminal 2, anyway the journey from Gare Saint-Charles Marseille to CDG is 3 hours and 50 minutes and its more comfortable.
Simon, I meant...how do you get to CDG from the station where the Marseille train arrives in Paris?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: SEN, FB PLT, HH,
There is a direct train from Gare Saint-Charles, Marseille to CDG terminal 2 (Aroport Paris - Roissy - Charles-de-Gaulle (CDG 2) - RER), you dont need to do nothing just jump to train sit relax and in 3:50 you are in CDG airport terminal 2.

If you want to see dates etc. visit www.sncf.com and you can plan your journey and even buy your ticket online.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Simon, I meant...how do you get to CDG from the station where the Marseille train arrives in Paris?
As simon1 says it is the same place. A train from Marseille to Paris Charles DeGaulle Airport goes to the station at the airport.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

I didn't catch that. That's perfect and easy.

Thanks to both of you!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon1
There is a direct train from Gare Saint-Charles, Marseille to CDG terminal 2 (Aroport Paris - Roissy - Charles-de-Gaulle (CDG 2) - RER), you dont need to do nothing just jump to train sit relax and in 3:50 you are in CDG airport terminal 2.

If you want to see dates etc. visit www.sncf.com and you can plan your journey and even buy your ticket online.
That website appears to be in French only. I do not see a switch to change languages.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:56 pm

That website appears to be in French only. I do not see a switch to change languages.
Top right corner, little arrow next to "FR".

I wouldn't go all the way to Marseille, from where it's difficult to get to Arles. (Same goes if you decide to fly.) The website will probably propose you to change trains in Valence, Lyon, Avignon...
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
www.capitainetrain.com could be a decent alternative booking engine. Same price, better interface.

The default route to Arles is via Avignon TGV (which has the biggest choice of trains), where you then either connect to an SNCF bus, or a train to Avignon Centre, and another one from there to Arles. If that doesn't suit, you can always travel via Nimes or Marseille.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Upon further reading I see that the tour actually begins, or ends (depending upon if it's a Northbound or Southbound cruise) in Monte Carlo, Monaco. From there, we'll be transported to the ship, docked at Arles. So, I'll be looking for trains from CDG to Montecarlo. Or flights to/from Nice.

Last edited by Kensterfly; Jul 15, 2015 at 8:41 am
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:04 am

Upon further reading I see that the tour actually begins, or ends (depending upon if it's a Northbound or Southbound cruise) in Monte Carlo, Monaco. From there, we'll be transported to the ship, docked at Arles. So, I'll be looking for trains from CDG to Montecarlo. Or flights to/from Nice.
The best resource for train travel in France, Europe or anywhere is here:

http://www.seat61.com/France-trains....in%20the%20USA
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
But why bother with all this as you are not downtown Marseille : just fly MRS-CDG and that's it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.