Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Tips for 1 month in Paris

Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

First time posting here, this is an amazing forum but I am a newbie for sure looking to learn more smart ways to fly/stay. I wonder if there are any tips people have as I am booking a 1 month stay in Paris. I bought my round trip on XL from sfo because it was quite cheap. I was thinking about a VRBO for a month but wanted to see if people had some advice on how I can do this smart (earn miles, get discounts, etc). Things like rocketmiles or pointshound dont seem to be worth it (not enough points for the cost). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Paris has some extended stay hotels with breakfast and concierge services. One example is the French chain Citadines which has various properties throughout Paris.

Think about the location you want. Neighborhoods can be very different. Think also about proximity to a (good) subway station.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Paris has some extended stay hotels with breakfast and concierge services. One example is the French chain Citadines which has various properties throughout Paris.

Think about the location you want. Neighborhoods can be very different. Think also about proximity to a (good) subway station.
thank you MSP, great advice. I was thinking marais, or latin quarter but im open. I hear your point about a good subway stations which would be very important; would you have a recommendation about that. I just tried doing a search and couldn't come up with something. Thank you!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
My husband and I booked a week through Air BnB about a year ago and loved it. We got a studio apartment right across from the Bastille and even though it was on the 5th floor of a building with a small, spiral staircase, we loved it.

We saved money by being a little bit flexible on location. I travel to Paris with relative frequency for work and generally stay near the Louvre. However, on my personal budget, we found that this wasn't a great idea. We listed out our top preferences and ended up with the Bastille place, which was great.

However, if you're going to be there for a month and really want to get a deal, why not look outside the top areas? If you plan to be using the metro, just find a place that's close to a station. It won't take you too long to be where you want to be and you might find a charming neighborhood with fewer tourists.

One thing to mention - if you do decide to get a place that will be dependent on metro usage, please note that the metro is NOT 24/7. I consistently have trouble taking it after about 10:30pm even when it's supposed to run later. However, a taxi at night is much cheaper than during the day, so you shouldn't worry too much.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One example of a good subway station might be the RER line from the airport, so that you don't need to transfer if you plan to use public transportation to/from CDG. For some people, accessible stations or those where you can avoid walking up or down stairs are important.

More generally, look for stations with more than one line (but not too huge) or including lines that go to the places that you anticipate visiting without needing to make one or more connections.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:46 pm

Another idea for summer is to check whether any of the dorms/student housing at Cite Universite is open to be booked by the general public. This is unlikely to have AC and might have shared bathrooms and kitchens, etc.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Since you are asking specifically about a destination, your post will do much better here in the dedicated France forum (you can find it listed in the Destination Forums category).

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by burbuja0512

One thing to mention - if you do decide to get a place that will be dependent on metro usage, please note that the metro is NOT 24/7. I consistently have trouble taking it after about 10:30pm even when it's supposed to run later. However, a taxi at night is much cheaper than during the day, so you shouldn't worry too much.
The Metro runs until around 1 am every night except Fridys, Saturdays and the evenings before holidays, when it runs until about 2 am.

What trouble did you have using the Metro after 10:30 pm? The trains come less often, and the stations can be a little deserted but there's no other trouble I know of.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jul 10, 2015 at 11:04 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One example of a good subway station might be the RER line from the airport, so that you don't need to transfer if you plan to use public transportation to/from CDG. For some people, accessible stations or those where you can avoid walking up or down stairs are important.

More generally, look for stations with more than one line (but not too huge) or including lines that go to the places that you anticipate visiting without needing to make one or more connections.
1. The RER stations between CDG and Gare du Nord are in less than desirable neighborhoods and would not be a good base for a visit, short or long.

2. The RER can be a good tool to use. However, the trains come much less frequently than Metro trains, and being dependant on an RER line can tie up a lot of time.

Goof idea to find base near a Metro station that has more than one line.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:21 pm

Paris is currently engaged in a tete-a-tete with Air BnB. As in many locations, Air BnB has dropped itself into Paris even though local laws prohibit the short-term rentals they offer.

The problems with short term rentals are many and varied. In Paris, local officials are afraid that these unregualted rentals will:

1. Further exacerbate an already severe shortage of permanent housing for rental residents.

2. Cause problems in residential buildings since short term renters do not know customs like putting the garbage out, hours when voices, tv and music are kept down, etc. Further, short term renters have no stake in the building or the neighbors. There's a old saying "In the history of the world, no one has ever washed a rental car."

3. Be unfair competition for hotels which doesn't pay the same taxes and carry the burden of the regulation.

For these reasons, (especially #1), officials in Paris have banned short term rentals and are activiely pursuing violators. There have been stories of officials following people pulling suitcases into residential buildings when the people do not look like they live there, and of others citing violating apartment owners who advertised online.

That said, there has been a vibrant short term rental market for apartments in Paris for many years through sites that preceded Air BnB such as VRBO. Air BnB is fighting back-this spring they took out many, many ads, including large posters in the Metro.

How this would impact someone booking an apartment I do no know. Maybe not at all. I would keep an eye on the situation however, as this is not a settled matter by any means.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jul 10, 2015 at 11:10 pm
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The Mrs and I rented an AirBnb flat for three weeks last May on the 11ème. Friends told us about the whole AirBnb vs. City Council issue once we were there, but as renters we didn't notice it and apparently the rest of the neighbours were aware of us staying temporarily and were fine with it (they were very friendly). Besides, I tend to believe the City Council/Mairie is trying to punish the owners and not the "innocent" tourists, so nothing should really happen to you.

It was the first time staying in the 11ème for us. I recommend it for long stays - it's close enough to central Paris and it's very local: you've got plenty of restaurants, cafés, boulangeries, supermarket, etc. Of course it also fitted our budget very well - the Marais is lovely but was off-limits for us.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Just had a great airbnb experience in Italy, but right now would not use it in Paris, as they haev stepped up enforcement of late. Not a big deal, really, as there are plenty of other options.
When will you be visiting Paris?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
You did not tell us:
your budget, how many people traveling, plans to go out of town (sleep outside Paris), preferences or ability to move around

If you are staying for an entire month, and will not be spending many nights outside of Paris (use Paris as a base for other travel), then I think an apartment is the way to go. I have stayed for 3 weeks before (usually stay for a few days in hotels) and an apartment not only saves money but also allows for more space and flexibility.
If money is no object and you just want to accumulate points then there are tons of "chain hotels" that you could use.
Since you bought a ticket on XL, I assume budget is a concern so unless you find a very cheap hotel deal, I think one month stay will work better in an apartment.
Mercure (part of Accor) has several nice and nicely priced hotels in Paris and you will be amazed how prices drop as you get closer to the date. Maybe even call them and see what is the price for one month. Rooms tend to be smallish.
Citadiines is nice but expensive. small studio with kitchenette can run easily 200 euros a day.
I have used this company several times. I prefer the 6th arr but it is because it has everything I want day and night. They have apartments all over. Email them and you will get a better monthly deal.
http://www.parisrentaparts.com/PBCPP...ERM&varLang=US

Regarding where to stay, metro stop is never far away; at most you need to connect Metros. I prefer the 1-8 arr but that is me. I have been coming to Paris since I was a child and that was my parent's favorite area. All areas are safe but the farther you get from these areas it becomes "less desirable" and "more edgy and trendy" - whatever that means and whatever that is worth.

You could also consider staying totally out of town. Versailles or some other little town will be a lot cheaper but it means a train ride every day into Paris. If your heart is staying in Paris for one month I would NOT stay outside the city peripherique

You should read the forums; lots of information on where to stay, what to see and about apartments. use the search function.

One of my "bucket list" items is 3 months in Paris. I have never had the time to do that but will ----- when I have the time.

best of luck
PM me if you have specific questions I can help you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.