Wine country info between Nice and Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Wine country info between Nice and Paris

This summer my husband and I will be traveling Europe and will be spending about 5 days in France, he is a big wine person so looking for ideas on places to stay. Would love to hear from you all on a central location to stay at and then travel around and see the sights, any info would be much appreciated.

TIA
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This summer my husband and I will be traveling Europe and will be spending about 5 days in France, he is a big wine person so looking for ideas on places to stay. Would love to hear from you all on a central location to stay at and then travel around and see the sights, any info would be much appreciated.
You might want to start a new thread on the subject, but here's some advice.

Burgundy is the world mecca of wine. The capital of Burgundy is Dijon so that might make a good base. Or Beaune or Chalon Sur Saone. Alternatively, if you want to base yourself in a larger city, Lyon is a good choice. Fabulous restaurants and drivable to the Cote D'Or or Cote Chalonnaise. Another choice is to stay in a Burgundy castle. This is a good one http://www.grandesetapes.com/en/cast...gilly-burgundy
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
You might want to start a new thread on the subject, but here's some advice.

Burgundy is the world mecca of wine. The capital of Burgundy is Dijon so that might make a good base. Or Beaune or Chalon Sur Saone. Alternatively, if you want to base yourself in a larger city, Lyon is a good choice. Fabulous restaurants and drivable to the Cote D'Or or Cote Chalonnaise. Another choice is to stay in a Burgundy castle. This is a good one http://www.grandesetapes.com/en/cast...gilly-burgundy
I thought I did a seprate thread...

Thanks for the info and link, will check them out.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I thought I did a seprate thread...
Done
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I second the vote for the Burgundy region. Gorgeous area, with rolling hills, lightly-traveled roads and a great place to ride a bike if that's your fancy.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I did the Route De Vin last summer in the Alsace Region. We based ourselves in Strasbourg and drove to the various towns.
Another way is base in one of the small towns and get bikes to ride around.

Also I had googled wine festivals and we were able to hit a bunch of little towns with fun festivals. But be forewarned, you will need to know a little bit of french or have your google translate ready.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the french don't drink then drive policy changes the "where do i stay" answer. you stay where you drink and have dinner. there are small places to stay throughout the burgundy region. problem is, one must move every night.

to find a delightful place to stay, ask at either the vineyard, or the dinner place.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

So I'm bumping this thread, we are staying in Beaune, would love to hear about some places to see, I do want to see the Hospice in Beaune, would love any feedback and places to check out.

TIA
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
So I'm bumping this thread, we are staying in Beaune, would love to hear about some places to see, I do want to see the Hospice in Beaune, would love any feedback and places to check out.

TIA
Chateauneuf-en-Auxois, one of France's official "most beautiful villages," its castle, and the Roman road into the woods off the end of the parking lot are all worth a visit. We stumbled upon a really lovely abbey in the valley below Châteauneuf but I can't remember exactly where it was.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
This website should give you a number of ideas:

Beaune Office de Tourisme
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Château de Pommard is a great visit. Just south of Beaune. You can also purchase future wine and they will store it for you in their cave til you are ready to pick it up. They also host art exhibits (Botero, Picasso, etc.) and have a nice restaurant. http://www.chateaudepommard.com/en/

But there are dozens of other great castles within a short drive from Beaune. And a whole lot more in the rest of Burgundy. I've been to a couple dozen or so. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_...x_de_Bourgogne

Château de Savigny-lès-Beaune is my favorite and a must if you like race cars, fighter jets, and all types of motorized vehicles.

In southern Burgundy, the Château de Cormatin is one of the wealthiest castles in the region. Versailles like.

Last edited by stimpy; Aug 10, 2015 at 4:21 am
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Chateauneuf-en-Auxois, one of France's official "most beautiful villages," its castle, and the Roman road into the woods off the end of the parking lot are all worth a visit. We stumbled upon a really lovely abbey in the valley below Châteauneuf but I can't remember exactly where it was.
That Chateau is owned by the same family as the nearby Chateau de Commarin which is also nice visit.

That "abbey" you visited was probably the Chapelle Notre-Dame du Chêne.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by stimpy
That Chateau is owned by the same family as the nearby Chateau de Commarin which is also nice visit.

That "abbey" you visited was probably the Chapelle Notre-Dame du Chêne.
Nope, we'll have to find that one the next time!

We were driving in the valley below Châteauneuf-en-Auxois in search of an artisanal bakery. Never found the bakery, but on the edge of a village, we found this really lovely abbey, part of it still operating as a conference center IIRR. The rest was abandoned but in pretty good repair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.