Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

pregnant in Paris: relaxation, AC, Uber etc...

Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

We will be in Paris for a day arriving at Orly in the morning on an overnight flight (luckily in business class so we'll have had some sleep) and then leaving a bit more than 12 hours later on Eurostar.

One of us is over 23 weeks pregnant so we'll want to take things easy. We're not interested in the tourist trail (so no Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe etc -- been to Paris many times before) but would like to have a culturally interesting and relaxing day involving a museum, some not-too-strenuous walking, a nice lunch (vegetarian-friendly -- we eat most fish too -- preferably not including a large amount of dairy) and maybe find an early dinner or food-to-go for the late evening train.

We're planning to leave the luggage at Gare du Nord in the lockers there. I was thinking of taking an Uber from ORY as the easiest method of transport there with the bags (at least 2 quite large suitcases) but recent protests against Uber make me wonder... any other suggestions?

In addition, it looks like there will be a heat wave in Paris and so finding somewhere with air conditioning might be a nice break.

Of course, there's always whiling away the afternoon in a cafe but it would be nice to do something specific to Paris as well. To give you an idea of the kind of things we like, this exhibit would have appealed but we are arriving after it closes so that won't work:
http://www.marmottan.fr/fr/expositio...urs-musee-2576

Any ideas or suggestions here? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by salut0; Jun 29, 2015 at 12:12 pm
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I would only consider a taxi from ORY. A taxi should not cost more than 30€ to 35€ and would probably be less. The problem with Uber pickups at the airport is one of knowing where to meet your driver.

Taxis will charge, above the metered fare, 1€ for the second and subsequent bag placed into the trunk. There is no need to tip taxi drivers.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by salut0
We will be in Paris for a day arriving at Orly in the morning on an overnight flight (luckily in business class so we'll have had some sleep) and then leaving a bit more than 12 hours later on Eurostar.

One of us is over 23 weeks pregnant so we'll want to take things easy. We're not interested in the tourist trail (so no Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe etc -- been to Paris many times before) but would like to have a culturally interesting and relaxing day involving a museum, some not-too-strenuous walking, a nice lunch (vegetarian-friendly -- we eat most fish too -- preferably not including a large amount of dairy) and maybe find an early dinner or food-to-go for the late evening train.

We're planning to leave the luggage at Gare du Nord in the lockers there. I was thinking of taking an Uber from ORY as the easiest method of transport there with the bags (at least 2 quite large suitcases) but recent protests against Uber make me wonder... any other suggestions?

In addition, it looks like there will be a heat wave in Paris and so finding somewhere with air conditioning might be a nice break.

Of course, there's always whiling away the afternoon in a cafe but it would be nice to do something specific to Paris as well. To give you an idea of the kind of things we like, this exhibit would have appealed but we are arriving after it closes so that won't work:
http://www.marmottan.fr/fr/expositio...urs-musee-2576

Any ideas or suggestions here? Many thanks in advance.
Date?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

July 7th
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:20 am

The Bonnard expo at the musee d'Orsay is very good, if you like his style. As you may know, they have a nice full lunch in a gorgeous dining room there.

Another thought is the Jacquemart, which currently has an expo from a private collection I have not seem. They too have a pleasant, full service lunch.

I strongly urge getting tickets in advance for either, and especially for the d'Orsay which is packed on Tuesdays since the Louvre is closed.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: Many
+1 on the Bonnard. I haven'e seen the expo at the Jacquemard but the museum in itself in fantastic.

To get there from Orly, I recommend LeCab : fixed price, friendly service.

About the food, everything you will find on Le Fooding website is to be recommended.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's the Rodin museum (7th I believe but not as close to the river as Orsay), although it can be crowded.

The Museum of the Arab World (5th by the river is different) and quite good. It has an upscale middle eastern restaurant on the top with outdoor terraces (soft furniture for drinks) having good views.

Another different museum is Baccarat (historic and current artistic crystal) on the Right Bank. It has an interesting cafe.

A longstanding top fish restaurant is le Divellec (spelling?) in the 7th, near the bridge that goes to Place de la Concorde. It's expensive and requires reservations. For seafood, there are the old classics near Blvd Montparnasse such as la Coupole and le Dom. They're not cheap either and can be busy.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's the Rodin museum (7th I believe but not as close to the river as Orsay), although it can be crowded.

The Museum of the Arab World (5th by the river is different) and quite good. It has an upscale middle eastern restaurant on the top with outdoor terraces (soft furniture for drinks) having good views.

Another different museum is Baccarat (historic and current artistic crystal) on the Right Bank. It has an interesting cafe.

A longstanding top fish restaurant is le Divellec (spelling?) in the 7th, near the bridge that goes to Place de la Concorde. It's expensive and requires reservations. For seafood, there are the old classics near Blvd Montparnasse such as la Coupole and le Dom. They're not cheap either and can be busy.

Le Divellic is reported on many websites as closed. The Rodin museum is undergoing a big renovation and has limited offerings. As for Le Dome and La Coupole, many consider these as catering to tourists, and neither is in the top 1,500 restaurants in Paris on Trip Advisor. Finally, the Baccarat Museum, while an interesting place to drop in if you're in the area, is not in my view an attraction to build a day around.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Experiences vary tremendously, but the one time I used the storage lockers at Gare Nord it was a disaster. Literally 2.5 hour wait!!! They were filled up so you had to wait until others picked up their stuff, and when they let you in, you had to circle around like a vulture, looking for someone emptying out their locker so you could use it. This was three years ago in late July, the day the Tour de France finished in Paris, so it's possible that could have made things worse than normal (although it didn't appear to be bike race fans waiting with us...).

Others have said they've had no issues though. Just beware of a possible glitch in your plans and have a backup in mind.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

Mike -- That's an alarming anecdote Did you arrive at the lockers early in the morning? We will likely go straight from Orly to GdN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.