Wiki Posts
Search

Rental car vs. TGV Orly to Avignon...advice please

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Rental car vs. TGV Orly to Avignon...advice please

Hi,
I booked one of those cheap J fares from JFK to ORY on Open Skies. Now I need to actually plan a trip.

First order of business is where to go. My wife has her heart set on Provence...so that's where we're going. We plan on renting a place not too far from Avignon, so think of that as the base of operations.

My decision now is on how to get there. TGV or Rent a Car?

Option #1: train
TGV is in theory faster, though I need to get to Gare du Nord and since I'll also have two kids in tow...that could be annoying. It's also pretty expensive for a return ticket. I wasn't shopping around too much, but was coming up with about 150 Euros return. For my wife and I, anyhow. Kids are discounted.

Option #2: Automobile
Car rental involves a longer trip (~6 hours, assuming no traffic). Could be a cluster*** picking the car up, I don't know. I'm not sure what parking is like in the South of France or if traffic is a nightmare (I'll be there in August). Seems like I'd rent one either way, once we were in Avignon to get around. It's not as fun as the train, but we can remedy that by taking a couple trips (e.g. into Marseilles) by train. On the other hand...I love driving standard and my wife could maybe finally learn. Cost will end up being about the same, if including gas.

Any advice?
Old May 5, 2015, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you'll be spending your time in Avignon itself, take the train. However, it sounds like you'll be staying on the outskirts and exploring Provence, so a vehicle is necessary. My only concern would be your fitness for a long drive in traffic and using the autoroute just after a TATL trip.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: SEN, FB PLT, HH,
Car, toll roads are good in France and as you mention you are going to rent anyway, so my advice again: Car
Old May 5, 2015, 9:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
First of all, the TGV to Avignon doesn't go from the Gare du Nord - it goes from the Gare de Lyon. Actually, that's a little annoying from Orly, as there's no direct public transport connection.

Don't know where you're looking for tickets, but don't use RailEurope. Have a look on capitainetrain.com with the previso that discounted tickets (Prem's or iDTGV) don't go on sale until 90 days before travel.

Bear in mind that there are two stations in Avignon - Centre and TGV, the latter being further from the city.

Driving is easy enough in theory - it's a straight shot down the Autoroute du Sud. However... This road sees some legendary traffic congestion in the summer and around public holidays. Have a look at this calendar to get an idea of what the traffic's going to be like. A red (or black) day is going to be painful.

Personally, I wouldn't consider this drive straight after a long-haul, I'd have a rest beforehand. Do bear in mind a couple of things about driving in France, though... Firstly, the default rental vehicle will have manual transmission - make sure you factor extra costs for automatic if you want it. Secondly, fuel and tolls can mount up. Michelin reckon in a compact car, this journey will cost about €50 in tolls and €70 in fuel.

Another option could be to book yourself on a flight from Orly down south (leaving a gap, of course) and pick up a hire car down there?
Old May 5, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you'll be spending your time in Avignon itself, take the train. However, it sounds like you'll be staying on the outskirts and exploring Provence, so a vehicle is necessary. My only concern would be your fitness for a long drive in traffic and using the autoroute just after a TATL trip.
Good point on needing rest...might push me towards renting the car down there.

Originally Posted by Simon1
Car, toll roads are good in France and as you mention you are going to rent anyway, so my advice again: Car
Thanks Simon1...a car will definitely be rented. Just need to know where. The calendar stut linked to shows some pretty heavy traffic the times I'm looking to go.

Originally Posted by stut
First of all, the TGV to Avignon doesn't go from the Gare du Nord - it goes from the Gare de Lyon. Actually, that's a little annoying from Orly, as there's no direct public transport connection.

Don't know where you're looking for tickets, but don't use RailEurope. Have a look on capitainetrain.com with the previso that discounted tickets (Prem's or iDTGV) don't go on sale until 90 days before travel.

Bear in mind that there are two stations in Avignon - Centre and TGV, the latter being further from the city.

Driving is easy enough in theory - it's a straight shot down the Autoroute du Sud. However... This road sees some legendary traffic congestion in the summer and around public holidays. Have a look at this calendar to get an idea of what the traffic's going to be like. A red (or black) day is going to be painful.

Personally, I wouldn't consider this drive straight after a long-haul, I'd have a rest beforehand. Do bear in mind a couple of things about driving in France, though... Firstly, the default rental vehicle will have manual transmission - make sure you factor extra costs for automatic if you want it. Secondly, fuel and tolls can mount up. Michelin reckon in a compact car, this journey will cost about €50 in tolls and €70 in fuel.

Another option could be to book yourself on a flight from Orly down south (leaving a gap, of course) and pick up a hire car down there?
Thanks for the thorough response. Very useful info.

I had actually checked flights and ORY to MPL (which is an option as a destination). 60 euros one-way which is pretty cheap.

This might end up planes, tranes and automobiles. TGV was cheap on the way down, expensive on the way back. Might return on AF.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:36 pm

The TGV journey down the Rhône valley is great - a real slice of France. And it's varied too, so at 300km/h, you blink and it all changes.

Montpellier is a great city - Marseille is another option as an airport for heading into Provence, too.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Flying down to MRS is good advice. That's probably what I'd do. Or take the train down and rent a car there but as said it will be a pain getting to Gare de Lyon unless you want to splurge on a taxi. As its a peak period you should reserve the train at least a month in advance.

As for driving, if your flight arrives at 6am as many flights do, there obviously won't be any traffic leaving Paris at that time. Plus at ORY you are already past the worst part. If you time it so you pass Lyon in the afternoon you will also hit some traffic most days. I've rented from ORY several times and its pretty easy. At least with Avis and Hertz. If you aren't good with maps and don't have a smartphone, you should probably get a GPS with your rental. Or if you rent a high end car most of those come with GPS in France. I can't recall the last time my rental car didn't have a GPS in France but I always get a nice upgrade.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
My mildly-convoluted plan would be to take Orlyval light rail from Orly to the RER B connection (short 8 minute trip), RER B to CDG (about 50 minutes) than the direct TGV to Avignon. Depending on time of day, it's only 2 or 3 stops on the TGV, so you actually have a chance to sleep.

As others have mentioned, driving immediately after a long flight might not be fun, especially if you haven't driven in France before... and driving the big toll roads bypasses everything that makes France wonderful (and the places it doesn't bypass, the places to stop and eat along the way, are as bad or worse than anything you'll find in the US).

My advice would be to take the train and rest up. The countryside is beautiful from the train, the seats very comfortable. The food is overpriced; buy drinks & good at one of the Relay mini-markets in the airport/train station.

The French rural roads are awesome, whether cycling or driving. I prefer cycling, but I've certainly driven enough as well. Try to avoid driving "inside" cities though; it can get quite congested and difficult to find parking. For Avignon, park outside the city walls and walk in. It's a beautiful city to walk or bike through.

Ah, one last thing about driving. If this is your first time driving in France, keep in mind the limit line at intersections is often well back from the intersection in front. If you screw up and drive too far forward, you're past the traffic light and won't know when it's turned green for you. Been there, done that! Very embarrassing. Apologies if all this is old news for you.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you have 3 or 4 people, taking a taxi from ORY to Gare de Lyon will be, not only the easiest option, but will cost you less than the train (ORLYVAL to RER B via Antony, 12.05€ each person). The taxis usually run about 25€ to 35€ depending upon how many are traveling and when you travel.

The low cost option would be to take the Tramway 7 from Orly South Terminal to Villejuif; cost one ticket t+ (1.80€). Next board Métro 7 (costing a second ticket t+) and take it to Gare d´Austerlitz. From Austerlitz you could either walk across the river to Gare de Lyon or take either bus 57 or 91 one stop which would take a 3rd ticket t+.

I would allow at least 3 hours between scheduled aircraft arrival and your planned train departure. Give yourself every chance of making the train as there are many unknowns when traveling. There could be flight delays, luggage claim concerns, traffic in Paris; allow sufficient time.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

I ended up booking TGV from Gare de Lyon to Avignon. Return for 4 (with 2 kids) for 220 Euros. Not bad.

Pick up rental car in Avignon. Should be good.

now just need to lock down the accomodations. Have a few options near Uzes, which seems like a nice place.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I ended up booking TGV from Gare de Lyon to Avignon. Return for 4 (with 2 kids) for 220 Euros. Not bad.

Pick up rental car in Avignon. Should be good.

now just need to lock down the accomodations. Have a few options near Uzes, which seems like a nice place.
Make sure you don't get Avignon Centre TGV mixed up with the main TGV terminal outside of town. Or I should say, make sure you're renting the car from a lot adjacent to the correct train station. There is, however, an inexpensive shuttle that connects between the main TGV station and Avignon Centre.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:08 pm

Also, Parkopedia is your friend in that part of the world. There is actually a very handy free car park on the river side of the ring road, but it's not always easy to find a space amid the, er, creative parking...
Old May 16, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
A little too late for my comment since you already bought train tickets.
Since you are flying J on open skies I assume you can get at least a few hours of sleep which will make it possible to drive.
I have rented a car many times upon arrival from TATL flying coach.
Cold face wash and 2 espressos upon arrival to ORLY should take care of any sleepiness.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
A little too late for my comment since you already bought train tickets.
Since you are flying J on open skies I assume you can get at least a few hours of sleep which will make it possible to drive.
I have rented a car many times upon arrival from TATL flying coach.
Cold face wash and 2 espressos upon arrival to ORLY should take care of any sleepiness.
Different people respond very differently to the after-effects of a long "overnight" flight. Even if I got a few hours sleep on a TATL you still wouldn't want me behind the wheel of a nearby car. A shower can make a world of difference (to me); coffee will sometimes do little more than make me feel nervous.

Not to say I haven't had 32-hours of being pretty much awake the whole time while traveling. And yes, even in J I don't sleep much.

On the other hand... if you quickly get me out on a bike (pedal-type) for a couple hours of hard riding, I re-calibrate to the new time and get a normal night's sleep, no lingering jet-lag effects in the days ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.