Search

Need help with Rental car parking ticket in Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
Need help with Rental car parking ticket in Paris

Hi friends,

We traveled to France in March and stupidly rented a car. We parked at wrong place and our rental car was towed. I paid the 179 euro tow fee to get the car but we were told that there would be another 30 euro parking ticket that would be mailed.

I just want to pay and get over it. But it's been almost two month and we hadn't heard from the rental car company. The company is citer/enterprise. I don't want to see a much bigger bill later on with additional fines for delay. I am wondering if there is anything I could do.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
For those driving rental cars, tickets typically go through a two step process. Firstly, the rental company is contacted by the police and they forward your name and address to them. For this service, rental companies generally charge you 25€.

The next step is receiving the actual ticket from the police. By the time you receive it, the cost has usually escalated because it was not paid in a timely manner; not your fault of course. For many years, the police simply ignored tickets given to foreigners, but they now have the means to collect them.

I can certainly understand your wanting this issue to be resolved, but if your credit card has not yet been charged by the rental company, you may never receive a ticket from the police.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: Many
The usual fine is 35 EUR, not 30. Be aware though that it can much higher in some cases : parking on disabled (blue) lot, parking on bus lane etc...

It is mailed to the car owner, in your case one of the company owned by Citer. They have 45 days to pay before some additional fees come. Check you credit card statement : what most rental car companies do is charging your cars the amount of the fine plus some admin fees, like Tamino said.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I had this happen once and rang up the police to explain that I received the ticket late. So they fixed it so I didn't have to pay the late fee. I'll qualify this story by saying that I can speak French. If you are lucky you can get someone on the phone who can speak English, but only if you are lucky.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:04 pm

For the benefit of future readers of this post, think Paris Metro, bus, and walking.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:52 pm

Or don't park in the wrong place . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.