Search

French chefs exposed as microwave cheats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:29 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Most French chefs order the nation’s top dishes from a catalogue and reheat them in a microwave, according to a Parisian restaurateur.

Xavier Denamur, who has five bistros in the capital, has infuriated the country’s culinary establishment by revealing trade secrets about practices that he condemns as cheating.

His diatribe comes at a time when French gastronomy is struggling to restore a reputation battered by claims that it has been surpassed by many other countries.

The decline of the once-admired national cuisine prompted the government to pass legislation last year to encourage chefs to use fresh produce. This week ministers admitted that the law had been a flop.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
As a Brit I find this hugely entertaining, to see the French expose their dirty culinary laundry like this.

Quelle Horreur!

Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
I spent a lot of time in Europe, and the French food never impressed me. I found absolutely nothing that I would recommend. And every waiter I dealt with was rude. I started buying food to go, and took it to my Hotel. The best food I found was in Germany.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:17 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I read about this problem some years ago when there was a real effort to try and reintroduce scratch cooking to French restaurants, which seems to have failed miserably. Partly this is due to the union issues. And this has made many waiting staff in Paris dire as well as the kitchen laziness and lack of skills and interest. Things are sometimes more hopeful rurally with owner cooks.

I find it interesting because I'm old enough to recall when I'd take wifey regularly to Paris for some decent food ... sometimes just for lunch ... because London was so dire. London improved year on year and Paris went downhill long ago. London now beats Paris hands down. I also became aware of how lazy places became in well known other places.

One place we have been going to for over 20 years in Cannes hasn't changed it's menu at all in all that time. The only change has been the price.

I have suspected for some time that a lot of what is bistro and restaurant food seemed "samey" and this explains why.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love good, old-fashioned French food...but Italian is still my favorite. The only food I had in France that was legitimately good was that at trendy new restaurants in Paris (Le Chateaubriand and Yam'tcha) or no-name mom and pop places in the country.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So National Lampoon's European Vacation was right!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
So National Lampoon's European Vacation was right!
That's immediately what I thought. ^^^^
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Meh, I don't know....

You can get some darned good kebabs in Paris these days...

Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by uk1
sometimes just for lunch ... because London was so dire. London improved year on year and Paris went downhill long ago. London now beats Paris hands down. I also became aware of how lazy places became in well known other places.
I totally agree- Ramsay, Oliver, Lawson -all British Chefs. London has continued to improve and France has declined.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The only food I had in France that was legitimately good was ---- no-name mom and pop places in the country.
Les Auberges ?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I still have fond memories of wonderful French meals, full of cream and other heart attack inducing substances. But I haven't had such a meal for many many years. Sadly, France has not modernized its repertory, simply microwaved it. It will, I suspect, be a long time before France wakes up to how much it is lagging in this area (and many others).
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
French restaurants do seem to so often have complete disdain for their customers, so I'm not surprised their superiority complex and their laziness combine in this.

Luckily living in London there's no shortage of good French food.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:01 am

The best French meals I've ever had were outside France...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Of course they do, but those aren't THE chefs.. those are in bistros small cafes etc. Now they have to have s special sign if the food is cooked in-house.

Some even say that the "cooks" in bistros are so bad that it is better to serve frozen food.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. Best food I've ever had has been in France, and just a couple of years ago. And the restaurants treated us quite well in Paris and Normandy. The butter and eggs (most delicious omelettes ever, for me) were otherworldly delicious. I will say that a galette is not my favorite form of sandwich, though.

We'll be in Provence and Languedoc this summer; hope we repeat our last good French experiences and not those lousy ones presented by you all here.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:32 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, I would travel far (and have done) to get a galette de sarrasin! They're not too difficult to make at home, but you just can't recreate a Breton galette complete.

However... It's not just the small bistros and chain restaurants that are guilty of this - a lot of much higher end places (in many countries) pre-prepare many dishes in a central kitchen, bagged up to be finished sous vide and in a frying pan on site. And the quality doesn't suffer. If you can get microwave food of a similar calibre (and yes, there's a whole spectrum from one end to the other), is this necessarily a problem? The technology and food science behind gets better and better, and opens up a world of possibilities for a small bistro that previously offered little more than a burnt croque monsieur for lunch (croque madame and croque hawaiien available for a supplement).

As for service, I haven't found rude service in Paris for years now. But you do have to play the game, greet appropriately, etc. It's just how it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.