Wiki Posts
Search

Bordeaux - more than just wine?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Planning to visit Bordeaux for the wine is there anything else to see in the area to stay longer? Right now looking at a weekend solo visit with two wine tours (4-6 cellar tastings) - thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Saint Emillion is a nice little village. It's worth spending some time.

if you have a car, the Grande Dune du Pilat in Arcachon is pretty cool.

A day in Bordeaux itself would also be worthwhile.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
+1 on Saint Emilion. Bordeaux itself is a lovely city.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Thank you both - will look at time in Saint Emilion
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:07 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
St Émilion is indeed lovely (and also not just about the wine, although that's a major part of it).

But, if you have a car, go slightly further east and the whole of the Périgord region is accessible to you, and well worth heading to. Often referred to as the 'Dordogne' in English (one of the départements where it's located), you've got some wonderful towns and villages to explore: Périgueux, Bergerac, Sarlat, Beynac, Cadouin, Monpazier, Nontron, the list goes on and on... It's a well trodden path, particularly by British tourists and second-home-owners, but there's a good reason why.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm planning a weekend (from Friday night to Sunday night) in May.

One of the things I'd definitely want to do is a Wine Tour. St Emilion seems to the most recommended choice both in terms of quality of wines and scenery. Now the main question would be whether it'd be worth doing a 1 day tour or just an afternoon one. What would you recommend? Also, small group or private?

As far as the hotel is concerned, I have short listed the Grand Hotel and the Burdigala. I would get a fairly similar package for either at a similar price. I quite like the contemporary look of the Burdigala, but the Grand Hotel seems quite iconic and I love the fact that they have a spa that we could use. Any advice?

Lastly, any other recommendations to make our 48 hours even more special?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: Many
Agree with all the above suggestions.

You can also come to Cap Ferret for the day, see the spectacular Dune du Pyla (or Pilat) from there, go the beach, do some surf on the waves, eat oysters in the fishermen huts etc...

Should you have no car, take the train to Arcachon. From there you can take some boat and go either to Cap Ferret, take a tour around the bay or go to Banc d'Arguin. IIRC some shuttles can drive you to the dune as well.

Just be aware that there is some heavy traffic jam on the way back to Bordeaux on Sunday afternoon/evening specially if the weather is fine. Take that into account if your plane/train in leaving BOD on that day.

I am usually there during the week ends in May so one can PM for more details.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: Many
And if you like food, book a table at Lion d'Or restaurant in Arcins (Médoc region). Worth the visit. A car is definitely needed to go there from BOD.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We were in Bordeaux for a day and a half last year and really wanted to do a cheese tasting. France has some really wonderful cheeses, some of which you can't get here, especially the unpasturized ones. Unfortunately, DH wasn't feeling well enough to be eating cheese so we didn't go. I still want to do that one day. Here is a link for a tasting tour:
http://www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk/of...1AQU033V500G5Q
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Spent our 25th anniversary in St. Emilion. Absolutely lovely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.