Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

CDG - which hotel is closest?

Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors

I have an early morning flight from CDG on British Airways - which hotel(s) would put me closest to the check-in area? All help appreciated!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:59 pm
AAL

The Sheraton CDG is probably the most centrally-located of the on-airport hotels; it's at Terminal 2. But there are a few others fairly close at Terminal 3. http://www.easycdg.com/1/airport-gui...irport-hotels/
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
In additional to the Sheraton, the Ibis, Novotel, Hilton, and Citizen M are located at Roissypl, which is one of the CDG RER stations, local bus hub, and connect point along the free, 24 hour shuttle train: CDGVAL. At least the Novotel, Pullman, and Hilton also have shuttle van pickup on the upper level of Terminal 2. The Pullman is located at a different point along the CDGVAL route.

All of these hotels are at the airport proper and none is more than 5 to 10 minutes from the checkin desks of British Airways at Terminal 2C.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If you're leaving from T2 and want "closest," there is only one answer: the Sheraton. No shuttle necessary.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:14 pm

The Sheraton is indeed in one of the Terminal 2 buildings and physically closer to Termianl 2C than any other hotel but many people appreciate viable options. The Sheraton could be full when so3003 tries to book. And as he is a HHonors member, the extra 10 minutes by 24 hour rail shuttle to the Hilton may be an attractive option worth mentioning.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Plus, while nice and convenient, the Sheraton can also command a healthy premium.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Tamino
The Sheraton is indeed in one of the Terminal 2 buildings and physically closer to Termianl 2C than any other hotel but many people appreciate viable options. The Sheraton could be full when so3003 tries to book. And as he is a HHonors member, the extra 10 minutes by 24 hour rail shuttle to the Hilton may be an attractive option worth mentioning.
I agree that there are options, and that tradeoffs may make the Sheraton less than ideal - but the OP asked "which hotel is closest?" with no other criteria. I was answering the question as it was posed to us. Your point that we should often broaden the original question and expand the OP's horizons is valid, of course.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Plus, while nice and convenient, the Sheraton can also command a healthy premium.
Hefty? Yes
Healthy? It depends on whether you are the guest or the hotelier.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tamino
The Ibis is closer than the Hilton, when doing the rail-shuttle.

For most passengers at CDG, the Sheraton CDG is the easiest/quickest to reach, and for that a premium price is charged. A way to save money at this property is to use Starwood points -- maybe even if having to buy the points -- or to even look at using some airline miles to book the hotel.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Ibis is closer than the Hilton, when doing the rail-shuttle.
Yes, but only extremely marginally so (150 meters, maybe?).
I would have thought that price and comfort level would be the real differentiator between the Ibis and the Hilton for 99.99% of travelers rather than the negligible distance and one minute extra travel time between them.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NickB
Yes, but only extremely marginally so (150 meters, maybe?).
I would have thought that price and comfort level would be the real differentiator between the Ibis and the Hilton for 99.99% of travelers rather than the negligible distance and one minute extra travel time between them.
When transporting rather heavy luggage or having small children in tow -- or both -- "150 meters" may make a material difference. If the weather isn't so nice, it makes a difference too. I've only stayed at the Ibis there once but the Hilton CDG more times than I care to count as a Hilton Gold or Diamond; and yet I can see situations where the Ibis makes more sense than the Hilton when doing a short overnight at CDG and not able or willing to pay up for the Sheraton CDG.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:09 am

One would have to be unusually weighed down with luggage to count the tiny distance difference between the Ibis and Hllton as meaningful. And from the RER station, they are almost the same. Moreover, Hilton offers a free shuttle with luggage assiatance, making the distance question moot.

Two very different hotel experiences-Ibis is cheap and has what you expect at a cheap hotel. The Hilton has top notch amenities and offers a quality experience.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:05 am

I know that the Pullman has a shuttle service from any terminal to the hotel, I suspect that the Hilton does as well. The shuttle is not necessarily any faster than the CDGVAL but it does offer a complete baggage transfer service.

The CDG Ibis has no such service to my knowledge. The hotel is at Roissypol, a stop along the CDGVAL line, but guests are required to handle their own luggage.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:44 am
Suspended

Last three times I've used the Pullman CDG shuttle, I've had to wait on average 30 or more minutes after transporting myself to a shuttle pick-up area. I'd have done better and faster to take the CDGVAL to the Ibis or Hilton.

The Pullman -- even as an Accor Platinum -- is an unimpressive choice compared to the Hilton. I'm not sure why I would even ever choose the Pullman over the Ibis if the hotel is needed for not much more than just a short sleep and quick turn back to CDG at my convenience.

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
One would have to be unusually weighed down with luggage to count the tiny distance difference between the Ibis and Hllton as meaningful. And from the RER station, they are almost the same. Moreover, Hilton offers a free shuttle with luggage assiatance, making the distance question moot.

Two very different hotel experiences-Ibis is cheap and has what you expect at a cheap hotel. The Hilton has top notch amenities and offers a quality experience.
The hotel experiences are very different, but distance-related convenience can trump those differences when only in a room for 4-6 hours for nothing more than an abbreviated nightly sleep and a quick shower/bathroom use prior to continuing the journey.

The "tiny" distance difference between the hotels isn't necessarily so "tiny" when transporting 23-64kgs of baggage very late at night when it's raining or icy outside and using CDGVAL to get there or get from there. Finding and waiting for the hotel shuttle can be rather inconvenient relative to taking the CDGVAL -- more so when the traveler is not so familiar with the airport and hotels and it's late at night. After taking the CDGVAL at night, the Hilton CDG guests seem to more frequently need more help finding their way to the hotel than Ibis guests doing the same to get to their hotel.

Wet and/or cold Hilton guests schlepping luggage through the parking lot on the way to (or from) the Hilton is a sight I've seen too often. There are times where I'd take this Ibis again over the Hilton -- even as the Hilton works out as a more appreciable value for me on my longer overnight stays, more so when the weather is more comfortable than when it's not.

If using the CDGVAL, the Ibis does what the OP asked and it does it more so than the Hilton.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 2, 2014 at 4:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.