Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to France/Germany in October

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Trip to France/Germany in October

This trip involves France and Germany, but since I'm starting in France I guess I'll post here instead of the Germany forum. Just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions or sees any mistakes here.

Day 1: Leave USA
Day 2: Arrive in Paris, travel via train to Bayeux
Day 3: WW2 related stuff, tours, Dead Man's Corner, American Cemetary, etc
Day 4: WW2 continued
Day 5: WW2 continued
Day 6: Travel to Berlin (I can either train back to Paris, stay overnight near airport, and fly to Berlin for $80 + 80 for hotel, or I can take an overnight train for 200-400 depending on what class)
Day 7: Berlin - Underground bukers, Reichstag, Brandenburg gate, Topography of Terror, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, Hitler's Bunker, Treptower park, etc.
Day 8: Berlin continued
Day 9: Berlin continued
Day 10: Travel back to USA

In Bayeux, I am looking at staying at the Novotel. In Berlin, either the Mercure or NH Berlin Mitte, or something comparable near Checkpoint Charlie - whatever I can get a decent deal for on Hotwire or booking.com.

Anyone have any suggestions or input on this? Appreciate the help!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
My husband is a WWII buff and we loved our tour to Normandy last year. Tried to book some of the tours leaving from Bayeux, but were too late. We took the ship's shore excursion and it was fine. Have you researched any of the tours from Bayeux or are you doing this on your own? Hope you make it to Arromanches to see the great film on the Mulberry Harbor...still some of them left sitting out in the water.

To save time, I'd fly to Berlin. We did that last year, too and did all the things you mentioned. We had planned a trip to Sachsenhausen, but it was raining heavily that day. The tour we were looking at, and I can't remember the name of the group, was 12 Euros, and you had to buy your own train ticket (and bring your own lunch), but the guide would explain what happened there when you arrive.

Checkpoint Charlie isn't much these days. There is a Starbucks across the street so you can rest your weary feet after all that walking. There is a sort of open air museum across the street the other direction. It's sort of interesting but I wouldn't pay to go in the little building. Enough info outside.

Hope you make time, while in Berlin, to visit the Reichstag Dome. It's magnificent.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Thank you Nanook!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.