Paris in Late August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris in Late August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by botfly
What I found most interesting is that businesses can still survive by closing one full month during the period that supposedly to be busiest.

I run a small restaurant in HK and if I do that I'd have to pay the rent out of my own pocket!
The yearly (les vacancies) is factored in in their budget, a given, planned. They either take July off or August off. And for most they don't reap the money from the tourists. The tourists congregate in certain areas but not all over the city. Now lots of businesses in other parts of france., they don't close because this is when they get their tourists.

As for the markets, in the city you have medium sized ones, and most open half a day on sunday but close on mondays. As for the big Carrefours they are "outside" the city and they are open on sundays.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Thanks all to your input. I have decided to visit during the second week of September.

I plan to spend 9 days there. Hope it's enough time for me!
Just be informed that there will be some trade fairs and salons in Paris ( for different industries) during September and make sure that you reserve your lodging ahead of time
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:37 am

This is all music to my ears! I will be in the south of France from the last week of Aug. through half the 1st week of Sep., and then drive northward to Lyon for a couple of days, and then onward to Paris in the 2nd week of Sep.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:46 am

What I found most interesting is that businesses can still survive by closing one full month during the period that supposedly to be busiest.

I run a small restaurant in HK and if I do that I'd have to pay the rent out of my own pocket!
But you have to work around employee vacations and upkeep like repairs and painting, while Parisian businesses do not. And since the bulk of French leave town at the same time, revenues lost are not that great.

This is a great example of how the French often put quality of life ahead of standard of living. Fewer riches, more pleasure.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Dear all,

Thank very for all your input. I am now deciding which hotel to stay. Currently I have narrowed down to 2 choices. One near the Cadet metro and the other near Saint-Germain.

Anyone would suggest which one over the other? I prefer an area where there are big supermarkets and inexpensive French restaurants nearby.

Thanks all.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I don't think you'll find big supermarkets near either of those, although Cadet iirc is close to the grands magasins such as Galeries Lafayette and Printemps. Galeries Lafayette has a wonderful food hall.

If I had to choose between the two I would go for the St Germain area, better and more restaurants and a more interesting feel. But either way you are only a short metro ride from anywhere in Paris, so just go for the most appealing hotel I guess. For supermarkets look out for Monoprix or Franprix or Carrefour, there are a few others that I'm sure someone will chime in with. Monoprix probably has the best range.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I don't think you'll find big supermarkets near either of those, although Cadet iirc is close to the grands magasins such as Galeries Lafayette and Printemps. Galeries Lafayette has a wonderful food hall.

If I had to choose between the two I would go for the St Germain area, better and more restaurants and a more interesting feel. But either way you are only a short metro ride from anywhere in Paris, so just go for the most appealing hotel I guess. For supermarkets look out for Monoprix or Franprix or Carrefour, there are a few others that I'm sure someone will chime in with. Monoprix probably has the best range.
Thanks for your advice. However, I finally decided to book Les Plumes near Cadet Metro due to its rates. I struggled to choose between this one and Le Littre in the 6th district. Anyway, I look forward to my trip!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Cadet will be a more "normal" neighborhood, with more of a residential/business mix catering less to tourists. The 9th has been gentrifying but there's still plenty of variety. You'll be fine--and a quick métro ride to the Left Bank. Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.