Wiki Posts
Search

Monet garden, Giverny

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Monet garden, Giverny

I expected to find a thread on this already, but only tiny side notes, so started new

Looking forward to visit Monet garden and would like to hear some tips

With my wife in Paris (after 1st May weekend) 3rd time and Giverny is next on our target list:
-What are the budget options to get to Giverny and visit Monet garden? There are certainly tourist packages, but we try to save some money so the question is whether it is worth the effort of planning, changing buses, language barrier, walk distances etc. We do tolerate some effort but not save just below 10€ say. Renting a car probably too costly?
-We plan it as a day trip, but is there more wise advices?

We are staying in South and North side of Paris, changing hotels (for diversity) and understand we need to take a metro to any starting point towards Giverny anyway.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FFlash
I expected to find a thread on this already, but only tiny side notes, so started new

Looking forward to visit Monet garden and would like to hear some tips

With my wife in Paris (after 1st May weekend) 3rd time and Giverny is next on our target list:
-What are the budget options to get to Giverny and visit Monet garden? There are certainly tourist packages, but we try to save some money so the question is whether it is worth the effort of planning, changing buses, language barrier, walk distances etc. We do tolerate some effort but not save just below 10€ say. Renting a car probably too costly?
-We plan it as a day trip, but is there more wise advices?

We are staying in South and North side of Paris, changing hotels (for diversity) and understand we need to take a metro to any starting point towards Giverny anyway.
The Monet foundation's web site has an English-language page that tells you how to get there from Paris. You take the train from Gare St. Lazare to Vernon, then catch the shuttle bus that leaves 15 minutes after the Paris train arrives. The bus is €8/round trip and the train is €14.30, at least for tomorrow's departures.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:26 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The bus from Vernon to Giverny is pretty well organised (albeit with some queues at peak times, thanks to a painfully slow ticket validator machine...) You follow the crowds through the underpass as you alight at Vernon, and the buses are lined up ready to take you there.

Vernon itself isn't unpleasant, but there's nothing much to see there.

The trains vary - some are modern double-deckers doing the shuttle run to Le Havre, and have plenty space. Others are inter-city trains heading into smaller Norman destinations, and can be very busy during the holidays.

It's well worth the trip - the garden, and the village itself, are beautiful.

Do pre-book your tickets online and print them out - you can then use the "entrée coupe-file" down an alley into the house and gardens, and save yourself an awful lot of queuing!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I went there when I had a rental car anyway. Unless you know Paris very well and have driven in France previously, I wouldn't want the hassle of obtaining and returning a rental car in central Paris.

Please don't take a tour bus. Giverny is best enjoyed without a large group. You want time to quietly enjoy the lily pond. It's also a pleasant little village to explore at your leisure.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Lovely response from you all, thanks! This sounds very good and my wife will enjoy this so much that maybe she can let me go watch a PSG match later the next day
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:38 pm

There's a great little hotel/ restaurant we,ve eaten twice called La Musadiere. When you exit Monet's house, make a right on rue Claude Monet and walk down The beautiful little country lane type street for about two city blocks. Hotel/ restaurant is on the left.

If you take the early morning train, as soon as you get to Giverny run, don't walk, to the gardens and you may be the only people on the bridge so can take some very nice pictures sans people.

Bobette
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Since it appears this is "the" Giverny thread, as opposed to adding on to the good advice already given here, I'm going to ask another question.

When do folks think is the ideal time to visit? I've been three times - spring, late summer and fall and after having been in the summer and fall, I was slightly disappointed with the spring trip because the flowers and foliage are much less lush and the colors more muted than later in the year. (Granted, if you are an iris and peony lover, it'll be great.) My partner, who had never been before, was blown away, and took pictures like crazy (which he doesn't usually do). What do other people think?

This is not meant to put a damper on the op's trip. It will be great!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:25 am

I strongly urge FTers with mechanical questions like the OP to consider buying Rick Steves' Paris 2014 guide. It covers how to get to Giverny in detail, along with many, many other common sites. Under $12, plus shipping, on Amazon.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Since it appears this is "the" Giverny thread, as opposed to adding on to the good advice already given here, I'm going to ask another question.

When do folks think is the ideal time to visit? I've been three times - spring, late summer and fall and after having been in the summer and fall, I was slightly disappointed with the spring trip because the flowers and foliage are much less lush and the colors more muted than later in the year. (Granted, if you are an iris and peony lover, it'll be great.) My partner, who had never been before, was blown away, and took pictures like crazy (which he doesn't usually do). What do other people think?

This is not meant to put a damper on the op's trip. It will be great!

I love the gardens in all 3 seasons. Each has its own colors and flowers. But I love the secret other gardens in the village. It really is one of my fav places, at times I drive up just to have lunch and return. My french friends don't understand why I go up there. It puts me in a totally different calming mood.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I love the secret other gardens in the village. It really is one of my fav places, at times I drive up just to have lunch and return. My french friends don't understand why I go up there. It puts me in a totally different calming mood.

Thanks a lot for this tip, we will explore that! My wife has some florist background so she will make me run the bushes of Giverny till night
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I love the gardens in all 3 seasons. Each has its own colors and flowers. But I love the secret other gardens in the village. It really is one of my fav places, at times I drive up just to have lunch and return. My french friends don't understand why I go up there. It puts me in a totally different calming mood.

You're so right, Yahillwe. I love walking along the country lanes. It's so serene and picturesque.

Bobette
Old May 7, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

A mini-trip report on our trip to Monet Gardens:

We had our hotel close to an AVIS station and highway exit, so we chose to rent a car for 60€ per day. Otherwise we should have taken metro to St. Lazare to connect to train and from Vernon station again to shuttle bus. We thought after all car would allow more flexibility and it did.

The gardens were worth a visit as well as the house&ateliee. Opening hour was 9.30am and we were at the entrance at 10.30am, just about the last time to enter. There started to be some queue and we had to wait some 20mins. On our way out some 2 hours later, it was all queue looooong way to the entrance. It was Sunday.

We finished the Monet gardens experience by visiting L'Orangerie museum in Paris with the "nymfeas" painted on the wall - just a final candy on the cake.

I can recommend taking a car to Giverny for exploring the landscape riverviews and small towns. We wanted to go further and continued to Normandy beaches which was worth it - drove on countryroads, where we prompted suddenly on a small town which was full of locals having a "plant market" or something like that, what a nice little postcard town you would never hit otherwise! It was in the Cider brewing area somewhere.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Thanks for the report, I'm glad you enjoyed the gardens - it's a truly magical place.

The Musée de l'Orangerie should be on everyone's must-see list in Paris, and it's great to go there after going to Giverny to get a greater appreciation of the work. I've been to l'Orangerie many times, but all the same my jaw just drops in wonder whenever I enter "that" room!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Thanks for the report, I'm glad you enjoyed the gardens - it's a truly magical place.

The Musée de l'Orangerie should be on everyone's must-see list in Paris, and it's great to go there after going to Giverny to get a greater appreciation of the work. I've been to l'Orangerie many times, but all the same my jaw just drops in wonder whenever I enter "that" room!
I was just at Giverny a couple of days ago. There has been spectacular weather all week (chilly today). I certainly agree about the l'Orangerie, but there are plenty of water lilies at the Marmottan, as well. Further, there is a special exhibit (through mid-January) centered around Monet's Impression Sunrise (his influences, previous owners of the painting, etc.).
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
The Marmottan is lovely too, and because it's a bit out of the centre of the city it's usually quieter than a lot of other museums and the building itself is worth a look.

I always check to see what's on at the Marmottan when I'm in Paris, but I'll usually go to l'Orangerie as well no matter what else is on just to get the breath taken away from me when I enter "that" room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.