Search

Time to get from CDG to Hyatt Madeleine during morning rush

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver

Hi all,
I'll be coming to Paris for work in a few weeks, staying at the Hyatt Madeleine. From previous posts on FT, I think my best options from CDG are either to take a taxi directly to the hotel, or take the RER and then walk (I'll have one suitcase, but I should be able to manage it). I'm arriving at CDG from the states at 7am, and will be heading to a meeting around lunch time, so the quicker I get to my hotel the better. Given that by the time I get out of the airport it will probably be morning rush hour, will a taxi take me significantly longer than the RER+walking?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Most likely. I'd estimate an hour to 1.5 hrs by taxi, 45 minutes or so by RER.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Great- thanks! Does anyone happen to know if taxis in Paris charge just by the km, or by some combination of km and time? I'm wondering if I take the taxi and it is a traffic heavy day, will the cost be significantly more than the 35-40e people usually say it will cost...
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I just returned from Paris on Wednesday. I took the bus from CDG -- it is nonstop to the Paris Opera, which is very near your hotel. I stayed at the Marriott Opera Ambassador, also close to the Opera. 11 euros and 1 hour en route. I left CDG at 745am. I figured it would be a nicer ride than RER because as you approach Paris, it will get more and more crowded. Also, you could actually doze off on the bus if you wish. I recommend it.

I took a taxi to CDG. It was 60 euros, departing hotel at 8am. Of course, this is kinda against traffic, though it slowed here and there. I was at a different hotel at this time, Marriott Rive Gauche, but anyway your 35-40 euros sounds pretty low to me.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:07 pm
iff

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Great- thanks! Does anyone happen to know if taxis in Paris charge just by the km, or by some combination of km and time? I'm wondering if I take the taxi and it is a traffic heavy day, will the cost be significantly more than the 35-40e people usually say it will cost...
Definitely not 35-40 €; I would guess more like 50-60 €. The Roissybus is not a bad option for a smaller budget. The RER will be full of commuters, of course, and you never know when it will be subject to delays.

There are also fixed-price services such as Le Cab (48 € from CDG to Paris).

Last edited by iff; Mar 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm Reason: added info
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I used Viator for shared airport transfers cost $25 US -ended up in a small Green Car Paris with a family of three - we hit traffic so about an hour but for trip back to airport less than 1/2 hour -happy to save taxi Euro
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by whimsey21
It's a combination of km and time at below a certain speed.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Louie_LI
It's a combination of km and time at below a certain speed.
There are also three levels (a,b,c); which is used varies by time of day and where you are (airport in a more expensive zone). Good thing is Paris drivers are generally honest and competent.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! I guess I'll either take a taxi or the roissy bus, depending on whether I want to try to wheel my luggage around, or just pay extra to take it easy. I had thought that the 35e figure sounded low-- I'll readjust my expectations to be closer to 60e.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Easy button says, "Taxi!"

All things considered - especially the notion of having time to recharge before your lunch meeting - I would just jump in a cab and go. Just walk out to the taxi queue at the curb, no need to schlep to a bus stop at CDG or from the drop off behind Opera to your hotel. €50-60 is a pretty safe estimate, and well worth it to be half human for your meeting.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:38 am
Original Poster

I'm going to go with that-- taxi it is! Thanks for all of the info everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.